Old 06-02-2020, 12:33 AM   #1

Another Shower Door Explosion

Just brought our trailer home from storage. Opened it up and found some debris on the floor in front of the bathroom door. ...... Opened the door and was presented with a colossal amount of small glass fragments spread over the entire bathroom .... shower, vanity, toilet, floor.

One panel of the glass shower enclosure had apparently EXPLODED and showered tiny particles of glass everywhere.

I read about it before. Hoped it wouldn't happen to us .... but it did!

Something has to be done about the cheap, dangerous China made stuff Forest River and other manufacturers are putting in our trailers. It just isn't right!!!

Anyone have an alternative? A plastic 'shower-surround' made in North America? Wouldn't that be nice.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #2

Well the tiny particles show it was safety glass which is a good thing and not dangerous,itís designed to break into tiny pieces.
Maybe something like the shower head smacked into the glass when traveling,or something like a bottle of shampoo.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a v View Post
Just brought our trailer home from storage. Opened it up and found some debris on the floor in front of the bathroom door. ...... Opened the door and was presented with a colossal amount of small glass fragments spread over the entire bathroom .... shower, vanity, toilet, floor.

One panel of the glass shower enclosure had apparently EXPLODED and showered tiny particles of glass everywhere.

I read about it before. Hoped it wouldn't happen to us .... but it did!
Anyone have an alternative? A plastic 'shower-surround' made in North America? Wouldn't that be nice.
If your shower area is rectangular, this is what we replaced our doors with.
Gives you a lot more room and folds inwards for dripping bathing suits when needed.

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...o-42-openings/

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and only sometimes pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:02 PM   #4

kenandterry Thanks for taking time to reply. Unfortunately, our shower is curved, pretty much a semi-circle.

John
Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #5

Something on the shower enclosure should be wrong.
If it exploded during storage it may be due to temperature and walls/floor contracting from cold and putting pressure on the glass, that is the reason I think something is wrong with the shower enclosure or the way the doors are assembled.
I had a shower like that in our previous camper and got everything from the freezing midwest winter to 107F in Vegas and we had no problem....

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

Unfortunately this isnt really a new phenomenon, particularly with tempered glass. Google the issues that vehicle manufacturers are having with exploding sun roofs. It has been happening on things like ovens for years as well. Any little defect in the glass itself, can cause an explosion. Something to do with the way it is created, it has an inward pressure on it?

We had our moon roof in our truck explode on us back in November while driving down the highway. Sounded like someone fired a shot gun next to our heads. But it didnt "implode" inward, it actually "exploded" outward. Fortunately stayed together (with the exception of glass dust fragments). Taped it real good with duct tape and made it home. That lead to the research of the issue. I would suspect the shower doors are a similar problem. Not really much you can do to prevent it, except not have glass doors. This probably wasnt that helpful for your particular problem, but its not just forest river, every vehicle manufacturer that offers moon roofs is dealing with it

Old 06-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #7

Shower door

Your shower enclosure uses tempered glass. This is for you safety, as the resultant glass fragments are relatively "safe" to handle. Regular, untempered glass fragments into lethal weapons that can seriously maim a person. Generally, the main reason for it shattering will be it was installed with a pinch point, usually at a corner, that puts stress on the glass. traveling, or other motion will then, eventually, cause the glass to shatter. THIS IS NOT A SIGN OF CHEAP CHINESE GLASS! IN fact, it is highly unlikely that the glass, or the tempering is Chinese. Its the installer's error. Note: I am a FR owner who just happens to have a background in tempering glass.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

I had a car when wife was working park in a black top lot it was over 90 degrees it busted out the back window
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

You sure it was lock in place when traveling
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

broken glass shower door

We had our shower door, curved tempered glass, shatter early in the am while I was in the bathroom. Forest River replaced it.
Found that the problem was probably a situation that the door was not in the track as it was supposed to be. After we had it replaced, we found the new one was also not in the track. We check it frequently. We were in CO on a trip from NH so it got a whole lot of shaking along the way. That may be the cause
jhowevg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #11

Tempered glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Something on the shower enclosure should be wrong.
If it exploded during storage it may be due to temperature and walls/floor contracting from cold and putting pressure on the glass, that is the reason I think something is wrong with the shower enclosure or the way the doors are assembled.
I had a shower like that in our previous camper and got everything from the freezing midwest winter to 107F in Vegas and we had no problem....
Tempered or toughened glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Tempering puts the outer surfaces into compression and the interior into tension. Such stresses cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards as plate glass (a.k.a. annealed glass) does. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury. [Source: Wikipedia]

As the glass is drawn from the mold, cold air is sprayed on the surfaces. This causes them to solidify when the inner part is still expanded from its hot temperature. When the inner part cools and shrinks, the outer surfaces are being compressed, while the inner part is stretched (tension). The least little scratch on the surface or edge releases all this potential force and results in total fragmentation.

This procedure has been used in automobile side windows for 70 or 80 years. You may have even seen the auto emergency escape tool that simply has a sharp point to scratch the surface and trigger the fragmentation.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and offer your experiences. It's help me deal with the situation.

To answer one question ... yes the doors were definitely closed and latched properly. Another point is that the curved door that exploded was on rollers in tracks top and bottom, basically free-floating .... not affixed to the trailer structure.

Thinking more about it, a week or so before discovering the shattered glass we, here in Ottawa, Canada had an extreme unseasonable heat wave. The temperature went to 38C - almost 100F. The trailer was in storage, no shade and all roof vents closed. I imagine the temperature inside must have risen to 110F or more.

I'm pretty sure this is what caused the spontaneous explosion. Curious though, why only one panel broke.

Forest River will help us with this or they will not. Dear wife and I have decided to have it fixed properly regardless of the cost. We have very little time left for adventures in our 2608, so it's important to keep it ship-shape for resale.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

John
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #13

Not unusual

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and offer your experiences. It's help me deal with the situation.

To answer one question ... yes the doors were definitely closed and latched properly. Another point is that the curved door that exploded was on rollers in tracks top and bottom, basically free-floating .... not affixed to the trailer structure.

Thinking more about it, a week or so before discovering the shattered glass we, here in Ottawa, Canada had an extreme unseasonable heat wave. The temperature went to 38C - almost 100F. The trailer was in storage, no shade and all roof vents closed. I imagine the temperature inside must have risen to 110F or more.

I'm pretty sure this is what caused the spontaneous explosion. Curious though, why only one panel broke.

Forest River will help us with this or they will not. Dear wife and I have decided to have it fixed properly regardless of the cost. We have very little time left for adventures in our 2608, so it's important to keep it ship-shape for resale.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.

John
Someone with experience in the tempered glass industry posted a month ago that it was not unusual to walk through the warehouse and hear spontaneous "explosions" of tempered glass.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

My brothers brand new Ford rear window blew out parked in a garage. That was in 1958.
My Hummer rear window did the same last year. Nothing improves over time!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #15

We did exactly the same as KenandTerri. Shower curtain made the shower usable! Way too small with the glass doors. If you want to put back the same as you had, I have all 3 glass panels. shoved into the basement somewhere?

Cheers
David
Old 06-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #16

Thanks for the offer, FORKLIFMAN, but our shower is a corner unit with curved doors - not rectangular.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
2013 Georgetown XL 377

The right thing for the Manufacturer to do would be to attach a lot number to their product. This would help help with traceability which would then allow the Manufacturer to perform a recall on defective product. yeah right! I know..... Once the unit is rolls of the lot itís no longer their problem. Itís just ashame.
Georgetown377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
kenandterry Thanks for taking time to reply. Unfortunately, our shower is curved, pretty much a semi-circle.

John
Go to Home Depot. There is a quarter corner shower door that was the correct size for our unit. Didnít end up getting it because the trailer was totaled first.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #19

Thanks KENANDTERRY. I'll definitely have a look in Home Depot.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #20

Ours was not curved but we had a glass shop make us a new panel. We had to glue the upper and lower hardware on it but it’s still working perfectly after a year.

The Newsoms is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, show, shower