Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Any windjammer owners with genesis 3.0 system. ......I need to pick your brain.

We have a 2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W.It has a Genesis 3.0 sound system and a Toshiba 32 " TV. I cannot get cable to work.I can get my Dish to work,play DVD's,over the air antenna reception works ,but no cable.I know this is not a great big deal but I would like to be able to use the cable feature if we are somewhere and cannot get Dish or antenna reception.If any of you have this same setup I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks
peaeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaeye
We have a 2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W.It has a Genesis 3.0 sound system and a Toshiba 32 " TV. I cannot get cable to work.I can get my Dish to work,play DVD's,over the air antenna reception works ,but no cable.I know this is not a great big deal but I would like to be able to use the cable feature if we are somewhere and cannot get Dish or antenna reception.If any of you have this same setup I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks
You need to run a coax from the cable outlet under the tv to the back of the tv. I asked the tech about this when we picked ours up and he said the tv was only wired at the factory to use the over the air antenna. Now if anyone knows how to get that 32" tv off it's bracket to do this, that would be helpful.
Indy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Steve View Post
You need to run a coax from the cable outlet under the tv to the back of the tv. I asked the tech about this when we picked ours up and he said the tv was only wired at the factory to use the over the air antenna. Now if anyone knows how to get that 32" tv off it's bracket to do this, that would be helpful.
Steve ...thanks,now we are making some progress.I know how to get the Tv of the wall,now I need to try and find out where to connect the coax to the Tv.I will pass this info along to the service dept at my dealer.

The Tv [on my unit] comes off by working it side to side while pushing up.

Thanks again
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaeye

Steve ...thanks,now we are making some progress.I know how to get the Tv of the wall,now I need to try and find out where to connect the coax to the Tv.I will pass this info along to the service dept at my dealer.

The Tv [on my unit] comes off by working it side to side while pushing up.

Thanks again
I haven't done it but most tv's only have one coax input so you'll have to unplug the over the air and plug in the cable. Remember to change the tv settings from air to cable.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #5

Quote:
I haven't done it but most tv's only have one coax input so you'll have to unplug the over the air and plug in the cable. Remember to change the tv settings from air to cable.

Now heres where the rub comes in,I have had my Tv of the wall,it just has a wire coming from somewhere in the trailer to the Tv,another wire going to the Genesis .So far i have not been able to chose between air and cable on may Tv,perhaps because everything is run through the genesis system.I see no place on the back of the Tv to plug anything in without unplugging something that goes to the genesis.Unless there is someway to rig a splitter,I am not for sure its worth the hassel to get cable.It may very well be that this is just one of those unsolvable problems.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

I do not have genesis but the concept should be the same. Make certain that the coax cable is on the cable inlet on the outside of the TT. Turn the power booster of for the aerial and set the tv for cable and not air. This setup should work.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I do not have genesis but the concept should be the same. Make certain that the coax cable is on the cable inlet on the outside of the TT. Turn the power booster of for the aerial and set the tv for cable and not air. This setup should work.
That is the biggy. Make sure you turn the antenna booster off. If not you will never get anything through the cable.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #8

So did you get it to work properly?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #9

Just today we fooled with it.......finally found where to switch between cable and antenna on the Toshiba Tv.It is unbelievable how deep that feature is buried in the menu.The only way I had to test is a dvd player with a RCA to coax adapter..hooked it up on the outside of the trailer,started the dvd,still no input.This is with the boost button on and off.The saga continues.....I tend to think that cable does not work thru the port on the outside.Any and all recommendations are welcomed.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaeye View Post
Just today we fooled with it.......finally found where to switch between cable and antenna on the Toshiba Tv.It is unbelievable how deep that feature is buried in the menu.The only way I had to test is a dvd player with a RCA to coax adapter..hooked it up on the outside of the trailer,started the dvd,still no input.This is with the boost button on and off.The saga continues.....I tend to think that cable does not work thru the port on the outside.Any and all recommendations are welcomed.
If the DVD player does not have a dedicated RF output on it with a coax connector, it will not be putting out RF. You need to get an old VCR or even a sat receiver that can supply an RF signal. Putting an adapter on the Video out of a DVD player won't work, which from the sound of things is what you are doing.

John & Deb
Old 03-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #11

It should have came prewired, I know you can not get it to work, but in the toshiba set up you can switch from over the air to cable to sat. people above are correct you need to turn the booster off. Do not use the Genesis to switch inputs, just you TV remote. Then if you want to hear it with the speakers you have you have go to turn on the Genesis and go to AV1. I just talked to the rep yesterday. Also your Genesis remote will not lower or raise the vol. that is done with the Toshiba. I'm still playing around the instruction they supply are hard to understand at least to me. But now I'm making headway.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #12

I'm still thinking you need to unplug the coax that is currently plugged into your TV. (I believe that is solely for the over the air antenna)Then run a new coax from the cable outlet under the TV to the TV. The tech during my walk through told me this.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #13

You Should find a coax plat, one connection say's AUX SAT, the other say's AUX TV. If you had a cable hook up at home you would need a box, that would go to AUX TV. If you were on a sat. you need your box, that would go to AUX Sat. If you were at a RV park that had a cable hook-up all you have to do is connect the line outside. They takecare of the converter. This is how it was explained to me.........I guess I will find out at my first cable hook-up...............
Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
If the DVD player does not have a dedicated RF output on it with a coax connector, it will not be putting out RF. You need to get an old VCR or even a sat receiver that can supply an RF signal. Putting an adapter on the Video out of a DVD player won't work, which from the sound of things is what you are doing.

Ok thanks....will have to go back and do over.I wondered if i was getting a signal thru the setup I had.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm still thinking you need to unplug the coax that is currently plugged into your TV. (I believe that is solely for the over the air antenna)Then run a new coax from the cable outlet under the TV to the TV. The tech during my walk through told me this.
If it comes down to taking the Tv down just to hook up the cable.then i will have to do without cable.......too much trouble..I think there is another solution,just have not found it.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #16

If you go to the web site wineguard(maybe misspelled) and look up the sat and cable hook-up, they have a plate that will do both. I think that would be the plate that they use without changing any wires. FR would not install the outside connectors without putting the correct plate inside. I think I typed RV amp hook -up. It will tell you how it's automatically done. It's like trial and error, but they know more about this then I do. like I said I'm still trying to learn the instructions really do leave alot out.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaeye View Post
Ok thanks....will have to go back and do over.I wondered if i was getting a signal thru the setup I had.
BTW with this method, your picture will be on channel 3 or 4 depending on how the VCR or what not was setup.

John & Deb
Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You Should find a coax plat, one connection say's AUX SAT, the other say's AUX TV. If you had a cable hook up at home you would need a box, that would go to AUX TV. If you were on a sat. you need your box, that would go to AUX Sat. If you were at a RV park that had a cable hook-up all you have to do is connect the line outside. They takecare of the converter. This is how it was explained to me.........I guess I will find out at my first cable hook-up...............
Yes I agree....I have got my dish sat to work....my over the air antenna to work.Anyone that is not dealing with the genesis system.......its real hard to explain all the hoops you have to jump thru to get stuff to work.I am lucky that the dealer had a guy that knew what input everything had to be on to get things to work.....all except the cable,that is.Its not that I have to receive cable,its just that I know there is an answer and its probably simple.Now that I know how to switch between ant and cable reception,I may have to drag the rig to a local campground that has cable and see what they would charge me to test it out.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #19

I got the solution because I ran into the same situation this past week. This is what worked:

NOTE: I did not need to add another cable or change any wiring, also the Genisis does not have to be on for the TV to work on cable or antenna. I left the Genisis off.

1. I turned off the antenna boost. It is in the cabinet below the TV in my 3008W.

2. Then use the TV remote to select/change from Antenna To Cable. (forget the Genisis remote it is not needed for the TV)

3. Scan for channels - this took a really long time in my opinion.

That did it. I had the cable channels. I hope that helps. You can turn the Genisis on if you want to play the TV audio through the TT speakers. You will have to select AV1 for that I believe. (I din't want to so I don't really remember for sure.)

Oops I just realized I didn't read all of the reply/s.

Maybe you already fixed your problem.

Regards,
Jim
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I am using my dish sat system using the existing wireing with no problems.My tech,and I use the term loosely....told me the water filter was under the tv,in a place where you had to take screws out to get to it.Turns out it was where one of the speakers was.The water filter is under the vanity in the bathroom.