Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Anyone have a Rockwood Mini Lite ETC model?

Any Rockwood Mini Lite ETC owners out there? I am waiting for the ETC 185 model but I have seen very little information written from an owner on this unit!
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

I have been looking as well since we just bought a ETC 181 yesterday. Dealer is fixing a couple of things before we do our walkthru. So far I have heard mainly good things, just a bit of preventive maintaince & checking of components when you get it home.
On another forum I heard about issues with the windows not staying open & if you try to force them open or closed they will break. Guess we'll need to take that slow...
Good Luck!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Thats great! I'm enjoying mine and so far so good! Good luck with yours.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #4

We bought our ETC 184 a year ago April. Loved it. It came with everything we wanted; permenant bed, big bathroom and very light weight. We were towing with a compact truck, so this unit seemed to fill the bill....seemed to. For towing on the flat with the occassional "rises" all was well. Serious hills caused the purchase of a serious TV. Hence the RAM. Untill a visit from relatives while camping last month, our choice of trailer bliss was tested and put in serious doubt when the skies opened and the heavy rains came. The lack of floor space became appearent when we all tried to get in the trailer. Sardines have more space!!!
Anyway, we now have a Mini Lite 2304. The ETC is a very capable trailer with a lot going for it, like I said we loved it, but space is not one of its fortes. Good luck with yours and may you never be rained on while company is visiting.
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

We have an 185 etc. Great little trailer. Had issues with oven pilot light and LP water heater (the electric portion of the water heater worked). Need to check the AC, the fan is now making a hideous noise. Luckily, my RV dealer is 5 minutes away and very helpful. Construction of the trailer is solid. I just hope all the accessories are more reliable.
BDMalech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #6

AC Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
Any Rockwood Mini Lite ETC owners out there? I am waiting for the ETC 185 model but I have seen very little information written from an owner on this unit!
We have the 181 model & as mentioned in other threads check the AC unit we you get home & before washing. The mounting screws thru the roof were loose (up to 1/2 inch on 3 of the 4). I had to remove the filter & the 8 screws holding the control panel to get to them. After snugging them down I washer our's without a leak.
Hope this info helps!
Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

Pilot Light & H2O Heater Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMalech View Post
We have an 185 etc. Great little trailer. Had issues with oven pilot light and LP water heater (the electric portion of the water heater worked). Need to check the AC, the fan is now making a hideous noise. Luckily, my RV dealer is 5 minutes away and very helpful. Construction of the trailer is solid. I just hope all the accessories are more reliable.
Hello,
When you can would you go into details about the issues. We are planning our first trip as soon as we buy a TV.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

So far, I have tried out all of the systems but have yet to use the oven, stove, furnace...I hope to use these on the next trip..but unfortunately, just discovered a water leak on the bottom bunk after some heavy rains we had a couple of weeks ago. Also, drops of water were coming in by the antenna. Am going to have someone look at it to see what is going on. Other than that disappointment, I am very happy with the 185. Love the floor plan and versatility and it is easy to handle and tow, which was important since I am often by myself and trying to watch a 5 year old and dog while setting up/towing/etc. I get a lot of compliments on it.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicabob
Hello,
When you can would you go into details about the issues. We are planning our first trip as soon as we buy a TV.
Thanks,
Bob
The oven pilot light would not stay on. The replace it ( very quick) and the hot water tank switch had to be replaced. They both work like a charm now. Too bad the season up here in Canada is almost over.
BDMalech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #10

Celicabob

We purchased a ETC 181 this summer and have just completed a 4751km trip to PEI and thru Maine,New Hampshire, Vermont,Quebec and back to Ontario. We have no leaks and the ETC 181 is easy pull using 2002 Tundra 4.7 V8. Need to warn you of a safety issue unique to the 181 Murphy bed. My wife got trapped in the bed as it can close quickly if someone is near the hinge point. It auto rotated into storage mode in seconds. They have a small knob which is suppose to hold a latch connected to bottom of murphy bed but this can come loose. No other safety to avoid the bed from closing with some one on the bed. I notified FR engineering as this must be fixed. Tie a rope around the latch and secure to the knob as backup.
I havent tried the oven but everything works fine. (the smoke detector is a bit sensitive and can be set off using a toaster). Enjoy your new ETC 181
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #11

Murph Bed Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoono289 View Post
Celicabob

We purchased a ETC 181 this summer and have just completed a 4751km trip to PEI and thru Maine,New Hampshire, Vermont,Quebec and back to Ontario. We have no leaks and the ETC 181 is easy pull using 2002 Tundra 4.7 V8. Need to warn you of a safety issue unique to the 181 Murphy bed. My wife got trapped in the bed as it can close quickly if someone is near the hinge point. It auto rotated into storage mode in seconds. They have a small knob which is suppose to hold a latch connected to bottom of murphy bed but this can come loose. No other safety to avoid the bed from closing with some one on the bed. I notified FR engineering as this must be fixed. Tie a rope around the latch and secure to the knob as backup.
I havent tried the oven but everything works fine. (the smoke detector is a bit sensitive and can be set off using a toaster). Enjoy your new ETC 181
Hi Roy,
FR must have heard your concerns. Ours (2011 Model) has a safety strap that latches like the mattress tie downs & is mounted to the bed & the H2O pump side of the dinette.
Took ours on the first trip last weekend for a shake down, only about 85 miles away. All went well until I found a tree with the awning…
Now it’s going in for repairs, so we can have another trip in Nov.
All the best!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #12

Murphy bed

Celicabob

Good to know the safety strap is improved for 2011. FR has really been good they took the trailer back to factory from Canada to make the safety upgrade. Impressed!

Have you ever put your ETC 181 on CAT scales?
My last CAT reading

ETC UVW (yellow sticker) 2668
CAT TT axle 2880
ETC weight 3337
calculated hitch weight 457 (using E2 WDH + bars = 75 lbs)
13.7% of ETC weight, can still feel pull/push when traffic passing on left
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #13

On Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoono289 View Post
Celicabob

Good to know the safety strap is improved for 2011. FR has really been good they took the trailer back to factory from Canada to make the safety upgrade. Impressed!

Have you ever put your ETC 181 on CAT scales?
My last CAT reading

ETC UVW (yellow sticker) 2668
CAT TT axle 2880
ETC weight 3337
calculated hitch weight 457 (using E2 WDH + bars = 75 lbs)
13.7% of ETC weight, can still feel pull/push when traffic passing on left
Hi Roy,
No I have not put it on scales, just hooked it up and went. Thanks for the info!
Only time a felt anything from the trailer was going over a dip in the road too fast and it oscillated the back up & down a couple of times.
Otherwise I don’t even know it’s there…
Old 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #14

ETC 181 Cover

Hello All,
Since the one's of us on this thread are 181 owners, I wanted to get any input as to a good cover for the trailer, (brand, model, etc.).
I purchased an AC cover & my GF bought wheel covers but I would like to cover the entire unit to keep the sun & UV off the roof.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
Hope everyone had a Happy New Year,
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #15

ETC 181 Cover

Celicabob

Sorry I cant contribute on which cover to buy. I also bought cover for the A/C and for the wheels. Also looked for solution to reduce humidity while in storage at farm. Found a unit that absorbs moisture into crystals. You need to plug the unit into 120v outlet to allow the moisture to evaporate. I havent been back to trailer since early Nov so not sure how effective this unit works. Also heard that blocking refridg vent on roof eliminates moisture in refridg (not done). Used dryer sheets to stop mice (perhaps wishful thinking) Also put the trailer on 4 ft 2x8 weather treated lumber. My ETC 181 had Murphy fixed at factory so bed is now double strapped and has latches both sides which secure the bed in storage mode or when down. The Murphy bed hinged right and left and top side wood are replaced. Also sides of dinette seats changed so bed now is parallel to floor. Overal pleased how FR took responsibility for defective bed. Looking forward to camping in 2012.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Still Own It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greti View Post
Do you still own your MiniLite ETC?
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
Ambassador

Well I don't have an ETC 185, I got the larger Mini Lite, the 2502KS. It runs 6500lbs dry. We love it. the Rockwoods are solidly built, and generally pull very well when set up properly. The only issue I have had in 18 months of heavy use is the radio would not work exactly as it should have. We had it replaced under warranty. I did upgrade my analog Coleman-Mach thermometer to a digital for $55, this was an excellent decision. It stays with in a tighter temperature range now. In general one of the most serous issues I have seen discussed on the forums about the Rockwoods has been bare laminate wall boards in the wheel wells. I have seen enough of the pictures from different people to know that it's been an issue for the manufacturer. Get a thorough walk through and make sure everything works before you leave. One other thing you will want is a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller. It's a proportional control brake controller.. The harder you press the pedal the harder the trailer brakes apply. You might also consider a beefy equalizer hitch for sway control. Hope this helps

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
Well I don't have an ETC 185, I got the larger Mini Lite, the 2502KS. It runs 6500lbs dry. We love it. the Rockwoods are solidly built, and generally pull very well when set up properly. The only issue I have had in 18 months of heavy use is the radio would not work exactly as it should have. We had it replaced under warranty. I did upgrade my analog Coleman-Mach thermometer to a digital for $55, this was an excellent decision. It stays with in a tighter temperature range now. In general one of the most serous issues I have seen discussed on the forums about the Rockwoods has been bare laminate wall boards in the wheel wells. I have seen enough of the pictures from different people to know that it's been an issue for the manufacturer. Get a thorough walk through and make sure everything works before you leave. One other thing you will want is a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller. It's a proportional control brake controller.. The harder you press the pedal the harder the trailer brakes apply. You might also consider a beefy equalizer hitch for sway control. Hope this helps
I hope that's a typo. My Mini Lite 2503S weighs 4448 dry. GVWR is 6539.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Lite VIN sticker.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	103832  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #19
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
The Dry Weight shown on the yellow sticker in our 2011 MiniLite ETC 181 reads 2729 lbs. I've not put in on a scale, but it handles quite nicely behind our 2002 Lexus RX300 SUV. The main thing we were looking for when we bought it was to have something the two of us could camp in comfortably, have a full bath, and be light enough that we wouldn't have to buy a truck to haul it around. We live near the Sierra Nevada and have taken it over 10,000 passes and on rather less than wonderful roads a few times without issues. I use a sway bar in Nevada winds, as they can get pretty strong at times. The only thing we have found to be an issue is the collapsible wobbly table legs, but I think I saw something on the forum that might help - windshield latches to hold it onto a board mounted across the face of upright Murphy Bed. Of all the truly light weight trailers (under 3,000 lbs dry) that we've seen, none can match this one.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote