Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Anyone put a locking battery box IN the mounts of a 2018 2506?

I want to either build a lithium battery, or just buy a couple BattleBorns, either way, want them to be secure as possible. I saw a couple threads here with people that got RV lockbox boxes, but had to build up a frame to ride on top of the tongue frame. I would ideally like to have it fit within the existing frame. Not a lot of room in that trailer to hide them inside, I suppose if pressed they could go in the front right side storage area, but like I said, not a lot of extra storage in that trailer!

Thanks,

Heavy.
Half Ton Heavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

Why the desire to have them inside frame vs. on top of frame?

Generally the supports they have running under the batteries cause me concern to begin with as they generally are just a couple pieces of angle iron welded to the frame. Always been a pet peeve of mine that it's not more significantly connected (Bolt through, thicker material) there with the weight of batteries.

That said, your lithium will be significantly lighter so not as big a deal for you. I've not seen any Battery Lockboxes that fit inside the frame other than a few folks that have custom made something. Most everything I've seen after market is on top of the rails.

Good Luck in your search!
Old 05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #3

If it helps, these are the battery locks I went with using a standard case between the frame.

http://b-drvbatterylock.com

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #4

Why within the frame? Just for a more integrated look, in the end, I suppose it does not matter. I plan to put either four or even eight of these cells in it, along with a BMS. 280 Ah at 24 volts would be awesome, equivalent to about 6 or more regular deep cycle marine batteries, enough to go a week or so boondocking.
https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/produ...4adc70eftkzVSa
Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #5

We used a case hardened chain and lock resistant to bolt cutters to secure our battery (in a box). We knew that a determined thief could probably get the battery, but we wanted to make them work for it. We did remove it for winter storage.
We figured that if we made it too hard, they might destroy the trailer in the process and that would have made a significant dent in our budget.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #6

Just found this one, I *think* it will fit in the mounts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torklift-A7...gAAOSwP4hc-rJN
Old 05-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We used a case hardened chain and lock resistant to bolt cutters to secure our battery (in a box). We knew that a determined thief could probably get the battery, but we wanted to make them work for it. We did remove it for winter storage.
We figured that if we made it too hard, they might destroy the trailer in the process and that would have made a significant dent in our budget.
Yup, the appearance of security is all we can hope for unfortunately. I figure if I make my own battery it will look like a science experiment when they finally open the box and lose interest. So remove the whole box or just the battery?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
I want to either build a lithium battery, or just buy a couple BattleBorns, either way, want them to be secure as possible. I saw a couple threads here with people that got RV lockbox boxes, but had to build up a frame to ride on top of the tongue frame. I would ideally like to have it fit within the existing frame. Not a lot of room in that trailer to hide them inside, I suppose if pressed they could go in the front right side storage area, but like I said, not a lot of extra storage in that trailer!

Thanks,

Heavy.
Might find something here: https://www.tuffyproducts.com/
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post

Thanks,

Heavy.
To answer comment #2 in frame was necessary due to the front of our THs (both of them) sloping out toward to the ball to make inches more for the bed inside.

That meant I could put to 24s or two gc2s between the A frame. I put a heavy steel bar under the frame and Up over the box. Tied them together with 1/2 in all thread. Then you can tack weld the nut on the bottom of the rod and I used 1/2 butterfly nuts like hold the propane tanks in place, on top then drill the wing through to the top steel bar and hang a long shackle pad lock on each end.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #10

Speaking of homemade looking batteries. My RV partner just ordered 8 200 amp lifepo cells from China and a Daly battery management system. He built two 400 amp six volt clusters and each fit nicely in a GC2 battery box. That is 400 amps of usable battery in the space of two 225 amp gc2 batteries that would only geve you 112 amps usable.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #11

Why do you need to build a tray? My 2018 2506S came with a large on frame tray that supports battery box and has an extended tray that can use to transport extra coolers, bikes, etc. Are there differences in the exterior set-up? Either way that passenger side front storage probably doesn't have the room for what you want to do. My TT also has a Lazy Susan in that space which is set under the kitchen sink. Good luck. And when can we go camping? Tired of stay-in-place. All my early reservations have been cancelled at least until June 10th at military bases and several private CGs.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #12

Battery Tongue Box

There are many locking boxes that will fit in the tongue rails. I have a 2604WS and found one that fit in perfectly. It took a bit of searching to find the one that fit correctly. It is aluminum and about 22" deep. I did move the factory battery supports to a better location for my needs. The bottom of my box sits at the same level as the bottom of the rails so that takes up 6" or so, the box sets about 18" above the rails.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...1&d=1589842247

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	229362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bx Btm.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	229363  
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
Why do you need to build a tray? My 2018 2506S came with a large on frame tray that supports battery box and has an extended tray that can use to transport extra coolers, bikes, etc. Are there differences in the exterior set-up? Either way that passenger side front storage probably doesn't have the room for what you want to do. My TT also has a Lazy Susan in that space which is set under the kitchen sink. Good luck. And when can we go camping? Tired of stay-in-place. All my early reservations have been cancelled at least until June 10th at military bases and several private CGs.
The inverter and charge controller will live in that kitchen storage cabinet somehow. I will either replace the wfco converter, or add a charger/converter in the compartment behind the breaker panel. Might need a little luck! Thanks.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck324 View Post
There are many locking boxes that will fit in the tongue rails. I have a 2604WS and found one that fit in perfectly. It took a bit of searching to find the one that fit correctly. It is aluminum and about 22" deep. I did move the factory battery supports to a better location for my needs. The bottom of my box sits at the same level as the bottom of the rails so that takes up 6" or so, the box sets about 18" above the rails.

Exactly what I need! Thanks!

Any chance you have a link to that box? It locks?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #15

If you go LiFeP04, you can move the batteries to inside the RV. I put mine in the pass-thru storage area. Makes them harder to steal, and helps take some weight off the tongue.

—————————————————
2020.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel
drburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburns View Post
If you go LiFeP04, you can move the batteries to inside the RV. I put mine in the pass-thru storage area. Makes them harder to steal, and helps take some weight off the tongue.

Is that a 24 volt stack? Regardless, lots of amp hours there! With the 2506, there is VERY little storage, I will have to stick with the tongue. Still, easy to fit 280 usable amp hours there. Just going to have to get slightly creative. I would much rather have them inside, but with space so precious, it is going to the inverter. Unfortunately, that means some expensive cables.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #17

These are two 12 volt 280ah LiFeP04 'batteries' connected in parallel so the final output is 12 volts still. 24 volt has advantages, but I did not want to make any more changes then I needed to. :-)

More details on my complete setup are here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/rv...73/#post-71576

—————————————————
2020.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel
drburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburns View Post
These are two 12 volt 280ah LiFeP04 'batteries' connected in parallel so the final output is 12 volts still. 24 volt has advantages, but I did not want to make any more changes then I needed to. :-)

More details on my complete setup are here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/rv...73/#post-71576

Yes, I am a member over there too. I am getting ready to buy 4 of the 280AH cells. I figure with the 23" box, I can fit them, a BMS, and the renogy dc/dc charger with mptt solar controller (all in one unit). The 280 ah battery seems like plenty, but when I was growing up, my Dad called me old overdo. For good reason. 540ah would be awesome! I would be willing to bet with NO solar, could still get close to a week out the batteries.

24 volt would be great for the smaller cables, higher efficiency. But I would lose the vehicle charging, at least easy charging....
Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #19

Battery Tongue Box

Thank you for your response. I forgot to include the pic of the inside. There is 2 batteries in there right now with room for 1 more easily. I also will be going to DIY lithium when I need to replace these and figure I can put 4 100AH units and weight less than the 2 current batteries. I have all ready install an inverter/charger in the storage bay with 4/0 welding cable between it and the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box Inside.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	229429  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #20

Battery Tongue Box

Sorry, I didn't read the whole reply in time. I used the
Lund 6134T 21-Inch Aluminum Trailer Tongue Truck Box.
I bought mine from Amazon but not necessarily the best price. There were other reasons that I won't go into. Just so you know it took me quite a while to find the one that fit. I built a cardboard mock-up of what would fit, had to call several different mfg and talk to the engineering/design staff because they all do not use the same way of giving dimensions. But as you can see it works.

Tags
battery, mount, lock