Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Are extra jack stands needed?

How are the jack stands provided on the travel trailer . . . Are they sturdy enough?

We had a friend who put extra on their travel trailer (not Rockwood) and suggested we do the same. I don't want to make extra work for ourselves if this is not needed.

Any opinions?
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

well jack stands not the correct terminology..
should be called stabilizers as they are meant to stabilize (side to side movement and front to back as you walk in the TT) and NOT lift...

I do use mine to lift maybe that last 1/2 inch to get things level and have gotten away with it, but you cannot use them to lift the tires at all...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

I put a set near the axle (not on) to remove a lot of the bounce. I had more success with them under the steps to keep it from rocking. It helps but I really only use them when my son camps with us. He sleeps in the bump out and every movement is amplified.

Do you need them no. Are they nice sometimes.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #4

Sorry, meant for stabilization
Tlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #5

Put large blocks down first then lower stabilizer. The more you extend stabilizer the weaker they are. X chocks help by locking up axles against movement.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

any extra stands used for stabilization of the trailer to prevent any movement while it is setup is purely up to your senses... if while camping you feel as if the trailer is not stable enough then I would go with the X-Chocks mentioned above before getting another set of stands. The stabs on your trailer should be put down, and yes use a wood block so that they are not extended too far, then give just another shot after they hit the earth... do that on all four corners to get them tight while maintaining level.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
txkreddog

We use the aluminum "pyramid" looking stabilizers near all four corners of our TT. It is a little extra work, but seems to help reduce the slight movement of the camper.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

I have a Coachmen trailer that has a rear bath layout. My wife and I are not small people. So when we walk or sit, we got a lot of movement. So I recently installed a pair of the BAL lock arm bars on my stabilizers. I put both of them on the rear corners where the bathroom is located. The install was easy and the price was very reasonable. The way they work is they raise and lower when you raise and lower your stabilzers. there is a locking nut you tighten/loosen when you raise/ lower them.

Between the lock arm bars and the X-chocks 90% of the trailer movement has been eliminated.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
any extra stands used for stabilization of the trailer to prevent any movement while it is setup is purely up to your senses... if while camping you feel as if the trailer is not stable enough then I would go with the X-Chocks mentioned above before getting another set of stands. The stabs on your trailer should be put down, and yes use a wood block so that they are not extended too far, then give just another shot after they hit the earth... do that on all four corners to get them tight while maintaining level.
what rsdata said ~ on my 26RR, I started with the X-chocks between the tires after I located trailer level and before I disconnected from the tv. The X-chocks helped some, but then I added another set of 4 stabilizers (2 on each side) which did a tremendous job for us, plus since they are bolted to the frame I don't have to pack something else along. I have 2 'milk crates' with my 4x4 blocks and 2x6 boards for adding under the stabilizers ~ more wood is better than extreme extended stabilizers.

Many different ideals on how to stop the shimmy shimmy shake, a lot of it depends on your pocket book. I purchased my scissor stabilizers from Harbor Freight utilizing the % off coupons and these are actually better built than the OEM set.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #10

There are a lot of different formulas to be sure. Ours:

X-chocks (re-tightened when tires cool)

Corner stabilizers

Valterra Stabilizers front and rear (for longer stays)

GlowStep revolution steps (removes diving board effect)

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote