Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #1

Bad Construction

Recently bought a 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite and noticed last week at the camp site our stairs (MORryde) were installed horribly from the factory. They are not centered inside the door frame there is barely enough clearance for the stairs to be put back up in the doorway. Very disappointed and there is really nothing I can do to adjust them since the holes are already drilled into the door frame and threshold. Also noticed that one of my drawers keeps popping out in the top left corner when pushed back into the latch. Anyone run into these problems?
Old 06-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Congrats on your new Ultra Lite!
I hate to say this, but these things are built poorly and with very little quality control (QC). I am constantly fixing/repairing small stuff (and sometimes large stuff) on our camper.
I don't have any suggestions for your steps. Ours had the old style steps that folded up under the door. I've since replaced them with Torklifts. Can you redrill or enlarge the holes in the steps to reposition them vs drilling new holes in the floor?
The drawer latch may need to be repositioned or pinched a little with some pliers to make it tighter.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #3

Pics of the stairs would be helpful. Mine are shifted towards the latch side and away from the door which helps avoid hitting the door on they way in and out. Mine also has very little clearance but I think that's a balance between having wide steps vs more clearance. A few pics might helps us better understand what's not working for your situation.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately if I try and reposition the holes they may be to close to the original ones...creating one giant drill hole. Dont get me wrong the stairs clear the door entrance but I know how close it is and will drive me crazy.
I will put a few photos up when I get home from work.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

All my drawers were falling apart. I took out every drawer and glued and put in longer screws. Some of the drawer sliders were pretty much attached to nothing so had to put in a couple wood support pieces too. I think the sloppy construction is pretty much the norm in the RV industry, at least in this country it is. Had an expensive Lance before and though some of the materials were better quality I still had to do the same kind of stuff to it. Having said that, we love our Rockwood.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerdude View Post
All my drawers were falling apart. I took out every drawer and glued and put in longer screws. Some of the drawer sliders were pretty much attached to nothing so had to put in a couple wood support pieces too. I think the sloppy construction is pretty much the norm in the RV industry, at least in this country it is. Had an expensive Lance before and though some of the materials were better quality I still had to do the same kind of stuff to it. Having said that, we love our Rockwood.
That is exactly what I am going to do about our drawers.
RobRockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

If you take the steps off, you can plug the existing holes with dowling and redrill. Alternatively perhaps take it in for warranty work and have them fix it.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

This is how bad the stairs are not even
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200619_111757.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	231832  
Old 06-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

We had issues with our MORryde stairs as well....they weren't installed correctly causing the door to bow out at the bottom. Had it corrected under warranty (they replaced the stairs).
Old 06-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We had issues with our MORryde stairs as well....they weren't installed correctly causing the door to bow out at the bottom. Had it corrected under warranty (they replaced the stairs).
Luckily the screen and the outside door clear fine but it just sucks how bad they were installed from the factory. Not a fan of these steps at all.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #11

We've "grown" to like the steps. They do require more space than the fold under ones we had on prior rigs and sometimes that creates an issue in tight areas like truck stop spots, etc. But....we love the solidness and the width of the steps. Trade offs. But from what I hear/see, there are two camps --- love them or hate them.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
We've "grown" to like the steps. They do require more space than the fold under ones we had on prior rigs and sometimes that creates an issue in tight areas like truck stop spots, etc. But....we love the solidness and the width of the steps. Trade offs. But from what I hear/see, there are two camps --- love them or hate them.
I do like how stable they are....especially on uneven ground. I guess they will grow on me as well lol
Old 06-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRockz View Post
Recently bought a 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite and noticed last week at the camp site our stairs (MORryde) were installed horribly from the factory. They are not centered inside the door frame there is barely enough clearance for the stairs to be put back up in the doorway. Very disappointed and there is really nothing I can do to adjust them since the holes are already drilled into the door frame and threshold. Also noticed that one of my drawers keeps popping out in the top left corner when pushed back into the latch. Anyone run into these problems?

RobRockz,

Thank you for being a part of the Rockwood family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Rockwood Ultra Lite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Rayna Dimitroff in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...81803043199277.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:34 AM   #14

We too are getting used to these new steps. My husband is not a fan..but I do like these steps.
Just a word of caution, when you bring steps down make sure both screen & door has clearance to close properly. We made mistake of having doors open even though could not shut not by much, maybe just by 1/4” . Didn’t need to close as we were home & just needed access to RV for few mins, a gust of wind caught the doors & would have slammed shut but instead doors got caught part way on ledge. Minor damage on bottom of RV door & tiny scratch on edge of top step..really stinks even though not noticeable but could have been a lot worse! We have leveled ground so steps now open fully.
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
We too are getting used to these new steps. My husband is not a fan..but I do like these steps.
Just a word of caution, when you bring steps down make sure both screen & door has clearance to close properly. We made mistake of having doors open even though could not shut not by much, maybe just by 1/4” . Didn’t need to close as we were home & just needed access to RV for few mins, a gust of wind caught the doors & would have slammed shut but instead doors got caught part way on ledge. Minor damage on bottom of RV door & tiny scratch on edge of top step..really stinks even though not noticeable but could have been a lot worse! We have leveled ground so steps now open fully.
I know exactly what you mean. We had a close call like that but I noticed it right before the doors were fully opened.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. We had a close call like that but I noticed it right before the doors were fully opened.
Wonder if the doors are lighter than our previous mini lite as they seem to catch the wind easier.
Be nice if they had a magnet or latch to keep RV door fully open without worrying. Any ideas anyone?
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #17

Robrockz

We affectionately call our RockWood Mini Lite “our garbage can on wheels”. The quality of this trailer is atrocious. My trailer is just about a year old and the list of broken, falling apart items is endless. We just got back from a short trip and the SS kitchen sink fell off its mounting onto the pipes below. That was fun. We also have a bag of parts of all sorts I collected while trying to clean the trailer. Also all the wooden and styrofoam chunks they left behind. I’ll be vacuuming those styrofoam pellets till the day I die in this thing. The stairs are poor in the fact that they must be perfectly level or the door won’t close correctly and you ruin the bottom weather stripping. But no one every has and uneven site so that’s not a problem!! I could go on and on how bad it is but we do have fun in it. I don’t think any other manufacture is much different or any better. I carry lots of tools and supply’s to fit what breaks. Kind of like beginning home and fixing up the house on every trip.
All you have to do is watch the videos on there factory tours to see the reason for the quality. Then they have the employees that try and smooth over all this crap like the one in this post. Always promising and never coming through.
Well we are still on the fence about camping but with all the challenges I still I would still consider a Forest River product. Who knows you might get lucky.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Luckily the screen and the outside door clear fine but it just sucks how bad they were installed from the factory. Not a fan of these steps at all.
From this I can’t tell if you think your problem is with the steps or their installation.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
From this I can’t tell if you think your problem is with the steps or their installation.
Both actually. They are installed way off centered. Also the fact the design makes them catch on the bottom of the screen and door if they are not fully extended. If not they will ruin the bottom of both doors.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Definitely the installation. They are way off centered
OK, thanks. I saw “Not a fan of these steps at all.” which sounded like you blamed the steps. My steps (don’t know if they are your exact model) were installed at the Goshen rally by a MORryde technician - not by the factory) and he didn’t take into account the fact that my screen door is double thick. It has a slot for a plexiglass (?) panel. My door wouldn’t close. Repair man had to come and angle-grind away some of the screen door. They really helped my DW who has a bad back and the bouncy OEM steps were much worse for her than these stable ones.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote