Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Balancing Goodyear Endurance Tires

After reading all of the good comments and reviews for Goodyear Endurance tires, I bit the bullet today and had a set of GYE ST225/75R15's installed on my 2018 Rockwood 2618VS Windjammer.

This trailer is always stored inside and the original 3 year old 225/75R15 Castle Rocks only had maybe 4,000 miles at most on them and looked like new. However, we are getting ready to embark on a 2500 mile road trip next week and I didn't want to leave on "China Bomb" tires although I do use a TST TPMS and they have been problem free.

After arguing with the tire store manager about balancing these GYE's when they mounted them, he finally relented and balanced all 4 tires for me. Holy Cow...1 tire took 5.25 ozs to balance, 2 others took 2.75 ozs, and 1 took 2.25 ozs.

After this experience I sure am glad I stuck to my guns to get these tires balanced, but the fact that it took so much weight to balance them makes me wonder about their overall build quality. Sure hope I didn't spend $600 today to replace perfectly good CR's with maybe questionable GYE tires.

2018 Rockwood Windjammer 2618VS
2020 GMC Sierra HD Denali 3500 SRW CC 4X4 D/A
Equalizer Hitch 10K/1000
Old 09-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

A couple of my GYE's took some big weights to balance as well. But, I suspect that the young lad that balanced my tires didn't re-orientate the tire with respect to the valve stem to minimize the weight required... he just hammered the necessary weight on.

I don't know if you got a chance to compare your GYE's to the old CB's side by side while they were off the wheels... but the CB's are built like party balloons compared to the GYE's.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Champion 3500
Weber Q2000, Blackstone 22", and a whole herd of flamingoes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #3

I just dont understand why tire stores dont want to balance trailer tires, but I insist that they do, and like the OP, I have seen some huge weights needed to get them balanced. That alone should convince anyone that trailer tires need balancing. Or else maybe they will find out when the trailer vibrates so badly it shakes the tow vehicle.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

The good years have pretty thick sidewalls in comparison to the CRs. They weigh 30lbs more than the tires I ended up having to get. I could see how that would translate to more weight to balance them.

I also don't understand why trailer shops won't balance when asked. If they don't think it is needed I see why they would not do it without being asked. They charge you to do it and it cannot cost $8 to put it on the machine and hammer a weight on it so they have to make some money on the deal. It not like it takes 30min to do and its a loss leader.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

BALANCE

No tires are manufactured to be in balance.

Other factors go into balancing.

The wheel, including the stem and perhaps the tpms sender.

You did right getting them balanced...

You will be glad those GY's are under the wagon.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #6

We stopped balancing trailer tires years ago. Haven't noticed any differences, except we don't have to pay for it anymore
But if it makes you feel better........
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Most tire stores that aren't just pushing rubber out the door will attempt to re-seat a tire that takes a large amount of weight to balance. Often just deflating, breaking bead, lubing, and reinflating solves the problem. In some cases the tire can be re-indexed to the wheel, again solving the problem

FWIW, it's not always the tire that's out of balance. Sometimes it's the wheel itself or the operator that hasn't mounted it properly on the balancer.

As for not balancing trailer tires, "Not Feeling Anything" means nothing. Unless you are riding in the trailer while it's going down the highway you won't. Your trailer will however. Vibration causes things to loosen up inside. Can even cause adverse suspension wear if bad enough.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2020, 05:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Most tire stores that aren't just pushing rubber out the door will attempt to re-seat a tire that takes a large amount of weight to balance. Often just deflating, breaking bead, lubing, and reinflating solves the problem. In some cases the tire can be re-indexed to the wheel, again solving the problem

FWIW, it's not always the tire that's out of balance. Sometimes it's the wheel itself or the operator that hasn't mounted it properly on the balancer.

As for not balancing trailer tires, "Not Feeling Anything" means nothing. Unless you are riding in the trailer while it's going down the highway you won't. Your trailer will however. Vibration causes things to loosen up inside. Can even cause adverse suspension wear if bad enough.
I totally agree that vibration caused by out of balance tires is in many ways not good for my travel trailer and is easily eliminated by balancing the tires.

I also agree that a good tire shop with experienced installers know to put forth a little extra effort and reorient the out of balance tire on the rim. Unfortunately both installers and the manager at the small tire shop were new hires and were clueless.

I bought these GYE tires online from Goodyear and the only local tire store I could select during the checkout process for Goodyear to ship to and install was this place!

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Equalizer Hitch 10K/1000
Old 09-02-2020, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave52 View Post
After reading all of the good comments and reviews for Goodyear Endurance tires, I bit the bullet today and had a set of GYE ST225/75R15's installed on my 2018 Rockwood 2618VS Windjammer.

This trailer is always stored inside and the original 3 year old 225/75R15 Castle Rocks only had maybe 4,000 miles at most on them and looked like new. However, we are getting ready to embark on a 2500 mile road trip next week and I didn't want to leave on "China Bomb" tires although I do use a TST TPMS and they have been problem free.

After arguing with the tire store manager about balancing these GYE's when they mounted them, he finally relented and balanced all 4 tires for me. Holy Cow...1 tire took 5.25 ozs to balance, 2 others took 2.75 ozs, and 1 took 2.25 ozs.

After this experience I sure am glad I stuck to my guns to get these tires balanced, but the fact that it took so much weight to balance them makes me wonder about their overall build quality. Sure hope I didn't spend $600 today to replace perfectly good CR's with maybe questionable GYE tires.
I own my own tire machine and electronic balancer, and my 14 Goodyear Endurance tires took quite a bit of weight too. My reasoning is they are a heavy tire to begin with, and being for trailer use they probably are not manufactured to the same balance standard as car tires are.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
Brake is on left

You should see how much lead I had to put on my 285/65's. Lol. I think the worst offender was 5 or 6 oz. It was a strip and then some. Big tires though. That was the spare so I believe the wheel was the offender. All 4 others did not take that much.
The funny thing is that there is no reason NOT to balance them. It does not cost any more to do it. Most shops I know of it is a M&B fee to shoe your tire on your wheel. It is paid for anyway. I wish my wife had been able to catch the video of a TT while we were taking our daughter to college. All 4 wheels were vibrating and hopping. You could see the windows vibrate. That is why I balance.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
You should see how much lead I had to put on my 285/65's. Lol. I think the worst offender was 5 or 6 oz. It was a strip and then some. Big tires though. That was the spare so I believe the wheel was the offender. All 4 others did not take that much.
The funny thing is that there is no reason NOT to balance them. It does not cost any more to do it. Most shops I know of it is a M&B fee to shoe your tire on your wheel. It is paid for anyway. I wish my wife had been able to catch the video of a TT while we were taking our daughter to college. All 4 wheels were vibrating and hopping. You could see the windows vibrate. That is why I balance.
Agreed...since I bought my tires online at the Goodyear website, I had to pay a flat M & B fee of $16 per tire, which is reasonable.

After debating whether to balance my tires or not, I finally told the tire store manager that I had already paid Goodyear in advance to have my GYE tires balanced, so even though you disagree with me about balancing them, I want it done!

The other thing that ticked me off about buying these tires online is even though I took my CR tires home with me, I still had to pay an $8.00 old tire disposal fee in advance too.

This is the first time I've ever bought a set of tires online and I can tell you it will be my last. I much prefer dealing directly with one of the local reputable tire stores that have experienced employees who know what they are doing.

After reading the comments from everyone, I do feel much better about replacing my CR tires with GYE tires, and I thank you all for your comments.

Equalizer Hitch 10K/1000
Old 09-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
This is the first time I've ever bought a set of tires online and I can tell you it will be my last. I much prefer dealing directly with one of the local reputable tire stores that have experienced employees who know what they are doing..
I buy tires on line at discounted prices on Amazon or eBay. I mount them on the rims myself, then pay a tire shop about $10 to balance them for me. That leaves me in control of most of the process. If I had my own balancing machine, I could do the whole job and control the entire process.

For motorcycle tires, I can mount and balance them myself, so except for tire disposal, no local shop is involved. Keeps costs down, downtime minimized, and there are no more damaged vehicles or rims.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
Site Team

A few thoughts...
Paying the tire disposal fee when you took the tires home with you sounds like a rip off. Tiny compared to the total cost but still....
Not sure why some places want to charge extra for balancing trailer tires. The tire stores around me typically include it in the price.
Walmart mounts tires ordered thru their website for free but does charge a fee for balancing.
An unbalanced tire vibrates. Just because you can't feel it in your truck doesn't mean it's not vibrating your trailer- maybe a lot.
While I may not take the wheels off a new trailer and have them balanced I will ALWAYS get replacement tires balanced.
Happy Trails!
Dan in KY
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
Old 09-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #14

I bought mine through a local tire shop. The owner told me that they never balanced trailer tires. I told him that they did now, or I would go elsewhere. They balanced the tires.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:

I also replaced my Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance tires. Huge difference. I also had them balanced and they did take a lot of weight. I also had our tandem axle boat trailer wheels balanced-I figure anything I can do to smooth out the ride is good for the TV and the trailer. One of the reasons they seem to take so much weight (and perhaps why tire stores are reluctant to balance them) is the manufacturing quality of the wheel. Since they are deemed for trailers only (thinking about my galvanized boat trailer wheels here), they aren't as precision machined or cast as auto wheels. I suspect that is true also of the wheels FR uses.

2017 Rockwood 2109s Mini Lite
Old 09-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #16

I just installed 4 of the Goodyear's on my rig and they took 1/2 oz or less on all 4.
2014 Cougar 331MKS
Old 09-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #17

I put these on with my GYE tires....

https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-ba...pe=Trailers-RV

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #18

Hand-torque...

Quote:
Unfortunately both installers and the manager at the small tire shop were new hires and were clueless.

I bought these GYE tires online from Goodyear and the only local tire store I could select during the checkout process for Goodyear to ship to and install was this place!

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Given their inexperience, I hope you thought to insist that they hand-torque the wheel lugs and let you watch them do it.

If not, I suggest you do it at home--and regularly as you travel.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 09-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
A few thoughts...
Paying the tire disposal fee when you took the tires home with you sounds like a rip off. Tiny compared to the total cost but still....
Not sure why some places want to charge extra for balancing trailer tires. The tire stores around me typically include it in the price.
Walmart mounts tires ordered thru their website for free but does charge a fee for balancing.
An unbalanced tire vibrates. Just because you can't feel it in your truck doesn't mean it's not vibrating your trailer- maybe a lot.
While I may not take the wheels off a new trailer and have them balanced I will ALWAYS get replacement tires balanced.
Happy Trails!
Dan in KY

The tire disposal fee is pretty much now a mandate imposed by the States. It's levied (at least in my State) on the basis of how many tires were sold regardless of how many were taken home.

Reason is simple. When tires became unwelcome in land fills because they had a tendency to "un-bury" themselves people started dumping them just about anywhere. Some tire dealers were the worst offenders, hauling truckloads out into the woods or dumping them in streams, canyons, even just filling abandoned buildings with them.

Where I live we had a huge pile of tires that caught fire and burned for months. Fire started in Sept 1984 and wasn't out until May 1985. the pile was known as "Mount Firestone" with 4 million tires and made national news. Couldn't extinguish it even with the help of aircraft fire fighting equipment and chemicals. Soot covered everything in a several mile radius.

This was a catalyst for our fees on recyclable or hazardous commodities.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by My17Ram View Post
I own my own tire machine and electronic balancer, and my 14 Goodyear Endurance tires took quite a bit of weight too. My reasoning is they are a heavy tire to begin with, and being for trailer use they probably are not manufactured to the same balance standard as car tires are.
Yes the tire is heavy but did you take a wire brush to the rim, cleaning the bead mounting surfaces well? This is something I saw ignored so often in my career.

Also, when mounting tires don't just apply lube to the tire bead but also to the seating surfaces on the wheel. Tire changers often wipe most, if not all, of the lube applied to the bead off as it travels around. This leaves only a fraction at best of lube to help the tire fully seat.

One more step often omitted is airing the tire up to 10-15 lbs more than desired final inflation pressure with the valve core left out. Deflate, insert core and tighten, then inflate to desired pressure.

It's amazing how big a difference this can make in things like runout and balance weight required.

One more thing to consider about balancing. The tire is what's being balanced but balance weights are being installed on the wheel.

The radius where the imbalance in the tire is usually located si over a foot from the centrer of the wheel. The weights are installed about half that distance from the wheel center. This means that the weight you are adding is actually twice the amount of the actual imbalance in the tire.

On really large tires it's not uncommon to add weighted patches inside the tire to compensate for the imbalance in the tire because they don't make wheel weights big enough.

2004 Nissan Titan
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires