Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #1

Battery tender

Just wondering what battery tender folks recommend.
Camp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
Brake is on left

If you are only trying to maintain a charged (or slightly discharged) battery, the Junior is just fine. My oldest one out of four is approaching 20 years old. Boats, bikes, cars and even the dual battery in a truck have been on it.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #3

I use the Battery Tender Jr for my motorcycle and have had no problems with it.

Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - Smart 12 Volt, 750mA Battery Float Chargers - 021-0123 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S...ing=UTF8&psc=1
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #4

I’ve had good luck with this one.
Battery Tender P/N 021-0128. Picked it up at Costco for around $40.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3590.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	260756
Dirtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

Battery Tenders are good units and have been around for years.

I use a NOCO Genius tender which has the ability to charge 6v, 12v, Regular batteries, AGM, and Lithium. In today's world one can encounter any one of those and it's a more flexible unit. NOCO makes the GENIUS chargers in all sorts of sizes and it's important to have one large enough to provide enough current to keep up with not only parasitic draws on the battery but also the batteries internal self discharge current. The larger the battery bank, the more self discharge. A 1.5 amp "maintainer" may not provide enough "juice" to maintain something like four 6 volt batteries in Series/Parallel hookup. Just one example.

Personally I'd look for a maintainer that can provide at least current equal to 2% of the battery' banks total capacity. That would be the minimum just to keep up with self discharge of most Lead Acid batteries. Larger of course if you want to charge.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host

I'm partial to a BatteryMINDer 128CEC1. It kept my pair of Grp 31 AGMs going for 5 years. I just replaced them last month.

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMinder...8609651&sr=8-4

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I'm partial to a BatteryMINDer 128CEC1. It kept my pair of Grp 31 AGMs going for 5 years. I just replaced them last month.

https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMinder...8609651&sr=8-4

I'm sure it's a good "maintainer" it's just $60 more than the NOCO Genius 10 amp model that does the same and does it automatically.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #8

Any small solar panels that can maintain a battery?

I'm getting a 2608BS with the solar package but my camper is stored in a covered storage so I was wondering about strapping a panel to a post at the opening of my storage unit and having a cable to plug in. The direction of my storage should get me morning sun.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Any small solar panels that can maintain a battery?

I'm getting a 2608BS with the solar package but my camper is stored in a covered storage so I was wondering about strapping a panel to a post at the opening of my storage unit and having a cable to plug in. The direction of my storage should get me morning sun.
$100 on Amazon:

Not a large panel but ~ 2-1/4 amp output with full sun. Will maintain a normal battery bank.

Unit is designed to attach to a "Pipe Pole" but for a square post just leave off the back strap and secure through front bracket's holes with lag screws.

Can also install a piece of pipe on the existing pole/post like a TV antenna mast then clamp this on the pipe so the panel can be oriented to get sun for more of the day.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
$100 on Amazon:

Not a large panel but ~ 2-1/4 amp output with full sun. Will maintain a normal battery bank.

Unit is designed to attach to a "Pipe Pole" but for a square post just leave off the back strap and secure through front bracket's holes with lag screws.

Can also install a piece of pipe on the existing pole/post like a TV antenna mast then clamp this on the pipe so the panel can be oriented to get sun for more of the day.
Can you post a link to the actual item?

Thanks
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:06 PM   #11

Just disconnect the battery when the camper is in storage. For 10 years I turned the battery Off and put my Roo in a barn at the fairgrounds the first week of November and brought it out the first week in April and the battery was still above 12vDC -- about 50% charged. No trickle charge needed. NOTE: the battery was completely disconnected by removing the Negative wire from the battery to the trailer frame, no parasitic draws.

On the other hand I need a battery tender to keep my weekend car's battery charged as there are parasitic draws from the remote locking system and radio memory.

Adakit charger/

-- Chuck
Old 08-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Just disconnect the battery when the camper is in storage. For 10 years I turned the battery Off and put my Roo in a barn at the fairgrounds the first week of November and brought it out the first week in April and the battery was still above 12vDC -- about 50% charged. No trickle charge needed. NOTE: the battery was completely disconnected by removing the Negative wire from the battery to the trailer frame, no parasitic draws.

On the other hand I need a battery tender to keep my weekend car's battery charged as there are parasitic draws from the remote locking system and radio memory.

Adakit charger/

-- Chuck
How cold does it get where you store and what kind of battery do you have, I'm up north with neg temps in the winter. will be in a unheated storage building.
Camp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
Can you post a link to the actual item?

Thanks
SUNER POWER Adjustable Pole Mounting Bracket Rack Kit for 20W 30W Solar Panel - Fit Pole Dia 1.5-3.0 Inch / 40mm - 80mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KB2LBL...Q7Z10JVKMS15K8

Old 08-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #14

Cleveland, Ohio. Unheated building at the Fairgrounds. Battery voltage typically comes out at 12.3vDC.

Cold temperatures are good as the self discharge rate of led-acid batteries is much slower. My experience has been in the range of 4%-6% per month. Five months at those rates would be 20% to 30% loss. I do have a 0.0160 amp parasitic draw from my Trimetric 2020 battery monitor which I leave connected all the time. This totals 11.52 amphours/month or about 60 amphours the full time the trailer is in storage. Battery is a pair of Trojan T145 golf cart batteries in series. 220 useful amphours.

-- Chuck
Old 08-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #15

I just leave my TT plugged in with the batteries hooked up in my carport. My Progressive Dynamics converter does a great job of monitoring the batteries and even kicks into a de-sulfication mode once in a while. I go out to the TT once in a while, turn on the furnace and watch a movie on the computer. My better half does not like action movies even a little bit.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I just leave my TT plugged in with the batteries hooked up in my carport. My Progressive Dynamics converter does a great job of monitoring the batteries and even kicks into a de-sulfication mode once in a while. I go out to the TT once in a while, turn on the furnace and watch a movie on the computer. My better half does not like action movies even a little bit.
Certainly great if you have power available. Not so great if you are one of those owners who stores their TT/MH in a storage facility with no power. Solar mounted on a building support is a great option then

Tags
battery