Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We used our Rockwood's BBQ mounted on the side, for the 10 years we owned it. NEVER had any issues and though not the best BBQ out there, it was fine for basic BBQing.
No damage to the siding at all.
X2.. I absolutely love ours, in fact i kept it and put it on our new trailer when we got it last fall
Grez007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #42

Another view

We bought our 5th wheel in January 2017 and it came with a bumper mounted grill that swings around close to our outdoor kitchen area, however, we have never used it but not for the reasons I have heard here. My thought is that once you use it, you will never be able to get it 100% clean without a lot of work (and who wants to be doing that while camping?) which brings up my thought about bugs, ants and other critters that are always looking for a free meal. I just see it as an attractant for things to go from your grill then into your rig.
P Devoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #43

I use the side mounted grill all the time on my Rockwood 3025w. Never had an issue with the heat affecting the fiberglass siding.
cbcg710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCampsNE View Post
We removed the rather cheap grill that came with our unit and neatly slipped in a 17" Blackstone grill. We use it everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
OHM that is the best idea yet!!! I knew I kept that old mount for some reason.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #45

Wore mine out

I use mine all the time! Had the camper almost 2 years and the flame deflector is rusting off the mounting rivets. I have a 17" Blackstone that I'm considering retrofitting to the wall mount, but I really want a grill, because we all know the Blackstone is a griddle, not a grill.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post

I never use it with the awning out. But that's just me. I also don’t grill bacon on it. For us there's no reason to hassle with anything else.
Grilling bacon???
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyjuice View Post
Has and/or does anyone use the BBQ grill that hangs on the side of the camper.

On purchase, ours came with a grill that is supposed to be hung on the side of the camper, we think its position is just way to close to the side panel, especially for fiberglass side.

Anyone have any thoughts and/or pictures on this subject?
We have 2511 too. I have used the supplied grill several times. Seems to work fine. I have put my hand up on the fiberglass and does not ever seem too hot. I do put little water on the camper off and on during the grilling. Not sure is necessary- but makes me feel better. BTW - there is a 2511s thread that is useful for ideas on the same camper. We love ours.
RRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
I use mine all the time! Had the camper almost 2 years and the flame deflector is rusting off the mounting rivets. I have a 17" Blackstone that I'm considering retrofitting to the wall mount, but I really want a grill, because we all know the Blackstone is a griddle, not a grill.

Mine rusted away to nothing too. I bought a new deflector on Amazon and fabricated new "legs" for it from a hunk of aluminum angle I had laying around. Rebuilt it sitting outside while we were in Fla. last winter, wire wheeled it and gave it a new coat of high heat paint. Good as new! That, along with my 17" BS does 90% of the cooking.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #49

We also have the new "griddle" grill but are unable to regulate the gas (from under the RV) to cook evenly.

Your experience?
KatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #50

Caution

Take care when using in hot calm weather. We have used ours a few times, then stopped putting on the side of our 2902ws. While using it under the awningon a hot(98) rainy day this June in Florida, the side of our camper got VERY warm, scary warm. Ours mounts under some graphics, do not think it hurt the side wall BUT the graphic felt soft. So far the edges have not curled, I think we got lucky, will not use again on side of camper as is. Thinking about making a thin heat shield to attach to mount. Having it on the side of camper was nice but not as is for the long term.
strgrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #51

My first trailer came with the side-mounted grill. First I'll have to confess that I'm something of a snob when it comes to outdoor grilling, I do live in Texas after all! As a result I was under impressed with the performance of that little grill. Technically it did cook the food after a fashion, but I'm spoiled by my big Weber grill at home and I just couldn't get the results I wanted. Heck, it took me a long time just to finally give up my charcoal grill and switch to gas, still frowned upon by the old schoolers around here but the convenience is hard to beat.
I ended up getting a replacement trailer (long story) that also had that grill, I just left it in the box and will sell it at some point. I instead got a Weber Q1200, not quite as nice as what's on my back porch but a vast improvement nonetheless. I removed the regulator and set it up for the trailer's propane hose, but I liked the side mount feature. I could have adapted the other grill's bracket like some here have done, but that would kill any chance of a sale without the complete set.
I searched for a shelf made to use the mount rail, but when I finally found one it was still a bit shallow and just not strong enough. I decided a bit of fabrication was in order and added a section of plastic shelving for more depth, then attached a couple of folding brackets with a length of 1X2 wood to support the grill's extra weight.
As you can see it worked fairly well. There's enough space behind the grill to keep the wall from getting very hot, so far no signs of damage.
I don't have to rely on the little cylinders or a nearby picnic table, and so far the DW has been very happy with the fajitas!

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by strgrazr View Post
Take care when using in hot calm weather. We have used ours a few times, then stopped putting on the side of our 2902ws. While using it under the awningon a hot(98) rainy day this June in Florida, the side of our camper got VERY warm, scary warm. Ours mounts under some graphics, do not think it hurt the side wall BUT the graphic felt soft. So far the edges have not curled, I think we got lucky, will not use again on side of camper as is. Thinking about making a thin heat shield to attach to mount. Having it on the side of camper was nice but not as is for the long term.
We too have a 2902WS. Never even tried the grill on the sidewall. I bought a Fleming grill arm for the back bumper and a gas hose extension so it's close to the outdoor mini-kitchen. I also modified the arm so it swings 180° instead of 90°. We also have a Blackstone on it's own stand that we place to the rear of the tt.

This is a stock photo, not my trailer. My arm now swings another 90°.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0552.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	213877  
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #53
Part-Time Campground Host

We use this with our 2902WS. We grill, bake, and steam with it. It has a 13" grate and fits nice in the truck bed.
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:03 AM   #54

Nice egg! They cook great!
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, grill