Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes6.7 View Post
I used to put a pad lock on the coupler thinking it was smart to lock it to the truck.

Then my father-in-law gave me some advice. He told me he doesn't lock the couplers (other than a standard removable pin) because if something happens to the trailer (like it catches fire) he wants to get it disconnected from the truck ASAP.

Made sense to me.

Besides that, I realized I'm rarely, if ever, away from both the truck and trailer when they are hooked to each other.
X2 I never lock any trailer to my truck when going down the road
Old 01-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #22
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentSun View Post
I am picking up my new Geo Pro next week and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to lock my new camper to my truck. I will be parking it over night and I really want it to be there in the morning. Thanks!
I use a hitch lock, but moreso because it's really sturdy to keep me connected while driving, not because I worry someone would steal my camper off my TV. They would really have to want it to pull that kind of stunt!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #23

I have a bolt brand hitch lock that uses my ignition key. It's not so much about keeping someone from stealing it, as it is keeping it hitched on the road, and I like not having a bunch of extra keys.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
When we had our popup we stayed at a hotel overnight while on a long trip. Not important why. I backed the trailer up to a curb/cement parking block until the wheels contacted it. Then I unhitched, dropped the tongue low enough so I could back the TV over the tongue. The only way to get the trailer was to move the TV.

My main concern was the battery and propane tank being stolen. I put the battery in a locked metal box that was bolted to the frame and I used a bicycle cable lock on the propane tank.

That was the last time I stayed in a hotel. I was too worried about something happening to sleep.
We towed 4 trailers with about 16 Harleys to Stugis SD from SC. Half a million dollars in Milwaukee Iron. We backed up to curbs as stated above. Cable locks on bikes. You didn't sleep ?
2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Gasser
and a couple of those Harley things
sold: 2021 Graywolf 22RR
Cruzrtwdgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #25

Overnight, sure, go ahead... Never down the road...

I was told long ago that it's illegal in some states to lock the hitch while on the Interstate.

I was really glad the hitch was easy to release after my wife stabbed the brakes, did a 180, and jacknifed the old pop-up into a guardrail on a bridge. (a couple of trailers ago)

I dropped the chains, pulled the hitch, and got away from that leaky propane tank rolling down the freeway real quick after that. YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO BE LOCKED IN and MOVING.
michalsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Those loch the hitch to the truck. I think he is wanting to stop someone from disconnecting the trailer.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #27

Quote:
I am picking up my new Geo Pro next week and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to lock my new camper to my truck. I will be parking it over night and I really want it to be there in the morning. Thanks!
I know nothing to keep the trailer locked to the tow vehicle. If you are worried about someone stealing your trailer. Get a Hurbo Wheel Lock Clamp Adjustable Tire Boot Lock Anti-Theft Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw for Parking Car Truck RV Boat Trailer. They are on Amazon and other places. Some police departments use them.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #28

If you lock it or not double check all your connections every stop you make. I know of more than once when someone just stopped at a rest area and had someone pull there pins. I use the locks more for the trouble makers than I do for stealing.
CampB2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #29

2 long shackle “Open Sesame” locks. One thru trailer coupler other thru hitch to lock safety chains together
If needs additional security cable thru spokes on trailer wheels
BUT if they want it bad enough they will have the tools to take it
I’d be more worried about breaking into trailer
McFord94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #30

Quote:
No one has read your post. Here is what you need.

https://usa-m.banggood.com/ATV-RV-Car-Tire-Claw-Wheel-Clamp-Boat-Truck-Trailer-Lock-Anti-Theft-Parking-Boot-p-1249935.html?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_source= googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_organic&utm_medium=c pc_bgcs&gmcCountry=US&utm_content=minha&utm_conten t=frank&utm_campaign=minha-usg-mb&utm_campaign=pla-usg-all-pc&currency=USD&cur_warehouse=CN&createTmp=1&gclid =Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EsDvFN1L5vBQp3p7UGac5cJw PSo4-o9Wff3uM5m1JY9d9Ttr0y5IIQaAtD4EALw_wcB

Tags
camper, lock, truck