Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #1

Best tips for overnight winter stays while traveling

Hello all - first post on here. We have a rockwood mini lite 2509s and are traveling soon with a one night stay at a KOA en route to our destination. Any tips for water management in temps between 25 30 F at night? We will have a heated hose (camco) but don’t want to tow with a full fresh water tank.

Thanks!
jstone75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #2

Temps between 25 and 30 should be no problem at night as long as daytime temps are above 32 degrees.

Why not just put enough water in your tank when you get there for your next morning's use and drain tank if you didn't use it all before you leave?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

I would not take a chance of freezing my water system. The weatherman and you cannot guarantee that the temps won't go lower or stay below freezing longer than predicted.

I would put rv antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks and use water from one gallon jugs for cooking, washing up and flushing.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:19 PM   #4

Best tips for overnight winter stays while traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
I would not take a chance of freezing my water system.

I would put rv antifreeze in the grey and black water tanks and use water from one gallon jugs for cooking, washing up and flushing.

This is exactly what we do until we’re past the freezing weather.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
I would not take a chance of freezing my water system. The weatherman and you cannot guarantee that the temps won't go lower or stay below freezing longer than predicted.

This is what we will do when we travel late Jan or early Feb
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Use bottled water and the restroom facilities at the campground.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #7

mif you are hookedn with water and sewer, open the gray tank valve and let the water run in the bathroom sink (less splashing) I have not had a frozen water line in many years by using this method. Currently in Ohio at a yearround KOA because of medical reasons, it has been below 32 degres at night for the last two weeks, and no water freeze up.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #8

With your heated hose you should not have a problem with the water freezing. We live in our trailer year round. We spend the winters in BC night time lows can be in the mid to high 20's. We have even had a week when the day time temperatures never went above freezing. Our city water never freezes using the heated hose.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
With your heated hose you should not have a problem with the water freezing. We live in our trailer year round. We spend the winters in BC night time lows can be in the mid to high 20's. We have even had a week when the day time temperatures never went above freezing. Our city water never freezes using the heated hose.
I have one question. How do you keep the water faucet from freezing? Reason I ask is that I had this happen in a N. Utah campground about a year ago. Was in the fall and air temp got cold, down into the 20's , but the ground was still warm enough to keep my hose from freezing. Faucet froze but hose didn't. Just enough ice to block the flow.

I can see where a heated hose wouldn't have prevented this problem unless some form of heat (heat tape, etc) was applied to the faucet and any of it's exposed pipe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #10

It’s one night, just take a few bottles of water and shower at the KOA.

That being said, if you really want to hook up, you should be fine at those temps.
chucknbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Master of his Domain

When I’m just a little worried about freezing temps, but not leaving my rig parked and fully winterized, I will use my compressor to blow water out of the most vulnerable lines. I consider the outdoor shower and the clothes washer lines in this category. If I’m in the rig and heating it, short drops below freezing are not likely to freeze up the rest of the lines. I also have tank heat pads, and I use the propane furnace for both this concern and due to the reality that it is too cold for the heat pumps.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #12

We got caught in Lincoln Nebraska in a snow storm for about 4 days with temperatures approaching 0 F. We put a small heater in our water bay, insulated the water bay doors with the silver bubble insulation, turned on the heater pads and kept the inside temperature around 68 F. During the warmest part of the day we would connect our water hose to fill our fresh water tank and dump our grey water if necessary. We didn’t have any problems.
statdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I have one question. How do you keep the water faucet from freezing? Reason I ask is that I had this happen in a N. Utah campground about a year ago. Was in the fall and air temp got cold, down into the 20's , but the ground was still warm enough to keep my hose from freezing. Faucet froze but hose didn't. Just enough ice to block the flow.

I can see where a heated hose wouldn't have prevented this problem unless some form of heat (heat tape, etc) was applied to the faucet and any of it's exposed pipe.
The camp ground we stay at put 5 gal pails lined with styrofoam over the faucet. We had not had the water freeze in the 11 years we have been staying in BC for the winter.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, winter