Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 125
Bike Rack Experiences????

Folks,

I'm (hopefully) getting my new 2021 Rockwood Minilite 2511s in a few weeks. It has the 2" hitch on the rear bumper, capable of handling 200lb.

I want to use it to carry 2-3 bicycles. Clearly the bike rack has to extend enough to go past the spare tire.

Any recommendations on brands people like? The kind that the tires hook into or the kind that you lift the bike onto the bar?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
_______________________
2022 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s
2020 Ford Expedition XLT - Max Towing
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 178
You will need to get your bumper hitch reinforced. 200 lbs is not enough to accommodate a bike hitch and 2 to 3 bicycles.
__________________
2019 Ram Big Horn 6.7 Cummins
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS
RobRockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 197
How heavy are your bikes?!? I’d think that would be more than enough for 2-3 bikes, unless you have a really heavy bike rack.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 5,342
there are plenty of posts on here about bike racks you may want to explore...

take your average bike rack at 25#
then add 2 or 3 bikes at like 30# each
then extend that weight out a foot or so to clear the body of the RV
then bounce down the road at 70 MPH and think about the stress on that bumper hitch as that nearly 100# of weight bounces up and down on every concrete joint in the interstate and even more when you hit a pothole
you will probably figure out that 200# of weight capability on that hitch is not very safe for your expensive bikes...
But decide for yourself before you do put your bikes on that hitch.
__________________
"nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle."
Thomas Jefferson to John Norvell pg. 2, June 11, 1807

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Nevada City CA
Posts: 679
There are numerous threads on this you should check out. Folks with experience warn that the bumper TT hitch is not sufficient unless reinforced. This issue is not the weight on the hitch but the torque applied by the bike rack. Some reinforce their bumper and others buy reinforcement brackets, many choices are available at Amazon on other retailers.
__________________
2020 2205S Rockwood Minilite
2019 F 150 Lariat 3.5 Eco Fx4 Max Tow
Equalizer WDH, 1809 lb payload
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 26,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
there are plenty of posts on here about bike racks you may want to explore...

take your average bike rack at 25#
then add 2 or 3 bikes at like 30# each
then extend that weight out a foot or so to clear the body of the RV
then bounce down the road at 70 MPH and think about the stress on that bumper hitch as that nearly 100# of weight bounces up and down on every concrete joint in the interstate and even more when you hit a pothole
you will probably figure out that 200# of weight capability on that hitch is not very safe for your expensive bikes...
But decide for yourself before you do put your bikes on that hitch.
I think you'd be surprised how much the average adult bike weighs. My XC full suspension race mountain bike weighs around 25lbs and my expensive road bike weighs just under 20lbs. The average adult bike weighs around 40lbs-50lbs. And ebikes are much heavier.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 165
I believe the post is referring to a 2” receiver which is welded to the frame not the bumper. We own a 2020 Flagstaff that has the 2” receiver welded to the frame rated at 300 lbs. We carry 2 ebikes on a heavy duty Kuat rack. We have traveled several thousand miles with no issues. With that being said it always makes me a bit nervous and I’m considering putting a receiver on the front of my truck, just need to figure out if bikes will restrict vision when driving.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff 26FKBS
2020 Ram Tradesman 2500 6.4 Hemi
Csbadvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 5
I have a Reese hitch that can do 2 or with the extension, 4 bikes. I choose 2 on the Ultralite. I slid my spare tire over so its closer to the frame and less bounce. If I needed to take a 3rd I have a stand up rack I can set inside which also works nice as a bike rack on the campsite.
Dave Stegink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:54 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 5
Correction, a Reese bike rack!
Dave Stegink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7,021
Keep in mind that the longer the shank is, the more the downward force of the bicycles increases on the bumper. Add to that the increased up and down motion and force created while traveling.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Edition
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbadvisor View Post
I believe the post is referring to a 2” receiver which is welded to the frame not the bumper. We own a 2020 Flagstaff that has the 2” receiver welded to the frame rated at 300 lbs. We carry 2 ebikes on a heavy duty Kuat rack. We have traveled several thousand miles with no issues. With that being said it always makes me a bit nervous and I’m considering putting a receiver on the front of my truck, just need to figure out if bikes will restrict vision when driving.
Csbadadvisor - Thanks .. I may have misquoted at 200lb. It probably is 300lb, and from the version I saw on the lot and in videos - it is welded to the frame.
__________________
_______________________
2022 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s
2020 Ford Expedition XLT - Max Towing
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk125 View Post
Csbadadvisor - Thanks .. I may have misquoted at 200lb. It probably is 300lb, and from the version I saw on the lot and in videos - it is welded to the frame.
We're still waiting for our unit to arrive but had a similar need of carrying 2 bikes plus wanted to have room to avoid the spare. Ended up purchasing the Swagman Dispatch which I assembled last weekend and (at least based on measurements) looks like it will work around the spare just fine. The rack itself is heavier construction (about 30-35 lbs) and has slightly longer shank than the Traveller XC2 which is why we went with this one.

Hope this helps
CalgaryRVCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Roaminaround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 120
We use a ratcheting strap from the rack to the ladder to mitigate the bouncing you get driving down the road. The bouncing can easily double the dead weight stress on your rack, bumper and receiver. Logged over 15,000 miles with the strap on our rack with 2 mountain bikes.
__________________
Bend, OR
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Ford F250 6.7 diesel super crew
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you'd be surprised how much the average adult bike weighs. My XC full suspension race mountain bike weighs around 25lbs and my expensive road bike weighs just under 20lbs. The average adult bike weighs around 40lbs-50lbs. And ebikes are much heavier.

I looked up ours this weekend. My wife’s Nishiki mountain bike from Dick’s is 65 lbs, my Trek Hybrid was 27 lbs.
PopUpPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 425
Look at the Lippert Jack-It rack system. Fits on the tongue over the power jack.
__________________
2021 Flagstaff 21DS
2015 Silverado 2500HD (overkill but convenient)

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 166
either weld a receiver to frame or get safety struts
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-.../dp/B084ZTHPTK
__________________

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
Look at the Lippert Jack-It rack system. Fits on the tongue over the power jack.
X2
__________________
2019 Chevy 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax
2021 Gray Wolf Toy Hauler
2019 Street Glide
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaminaround View Post
We use a ratcheting strap from the rack to the ladder to mitigate the bouncing you get driving down the road. The bouncing can easily double the dead weight stress on your rack, bumper and receiver. Logged over 15,000 miles with the strap on our rack with 2 mountain bikes.

I put an eyelet at the top of our Swagman rack and use two ratchet straps down to either corner of the frame, that keeps it from bouncing or moving much at all. I had (doesn't work now) a rearview camera and they did not budge over the biggest So Cal freeway dips and drops.


My receiver is aftermarket and welded to the frame. OEM had folding rack that I remove when not needed and it is rated for 300# so I'm very safe with two bikes and a rack. This is what works for me. E bike is next.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 920
I would get a hitch that attaches in 2 points. I wouldn't use the single point receptacle. Remove your spare tire and put it in the truck bed. That way your net weight gain is minimalized.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:54 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cheney, Washington
Posts: 243
We have the 2” receiver on our Rockwood 2608BS. I have a Swagmann bike rack that I purchased from eTrailer.com. It is approved for use with an RV and extends out beyond the spare tire. We just completed an 1800 mile trip with two bikes and had no problems with it. This is the link to it: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...man/S44FR.html
__________________
2020 Rockwood 2608BS
2017 Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2016 Rockwood MiniLite 2503S (2015-2016)
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bike, bike rack

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.