Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

What type of tank flush does Rockwood use? Is it a spinning type like the Tornado, or just a fixed sprayer?
dankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

It's the type that is almost useless. No matter how long I let it run with the dump valve open, there's stuff left in the tank. It is useful for filling the tank. I close the valve and fill for at least 5 minutes after dumping, then open the valve and I will see paper and solids flow out through the clear elbow.

Someone on this forum suggested that it should have been installed in the opposite end of the tank so the water would flow across the entire tank on its way to the drain. Makes sense.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
It's the type that is almost useless. No matter how long I let it run with the dump valve open, there's stuff left in the tank. It is useful for filling the tank. I close the valve and fill for at least 5 minutes after dumping, then open the valve and I will see paper and solids flow out through the clear elbow.

Someone on this forum suggested that it should have been installed in the opposite end of the tank so the water would flow across the entire tank on its way to the drain. Makes sense.
Yeah, it pretty much sucks!
jbu150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #4

Has anyone attempted to replace the cheap factory one with a Tornado flush?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #5

I have not used mine but i am going to try it like this video shows it. Seems like this is a really good way tyo flush out....

https://youtu.be/I6sv4d3PsTo
louroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroberto View Post
I have not used mine but i am going to try it like this video shows it. Seems like this is a really good way tyo flush out....

https://youtu.be/I6sv4d3PsTo
This is my procedure for years and the only steadfast rule is, do not get side tracked doing something else until the flush out is completed and the flush port is disconnected. I turn on the water before opening the dump valve and finally shut the water off a few seconds after the final dump valve closure. In this way there is some water in the tank. This procedure should probably not be done if at a dump site with others waiting to dump. I don't boondock so that is not an issue for me. I have never had an issue with my factory installed tank level indicators.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #7

With the camping we've done so far, I haven't really used the tank flush. We very seldom go #2 in the trailer, so there's not much t.p. to speak of. Of course there's a little cause I am married to a woman, but not much. Should I be using the flush more? I have noticed that at most dump stations the hose will not connect to my flush tank connector. Do you pull the screen out and just stick the hose in there? I also put 5 gal. of treated water in the black tank when I get home. Good post, good info.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Not sure if mine rotates, but it seems to work as well as the tornado one I had on my last camper. By the way, the factory spray nozzle on mine is installed directly opposite of the dump valve as it should be.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Jack's Mini 2304ks

Black Tank Flush

Thanks for your post, I’ve been curious as to the efficiency of mine. The area directly under the toilet doesn’t seem to get sprayed.
jjmffca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Jack's Mini 2304ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post

I think is would do a better job on the opposite side as the drain too. The tank is slopped towards the drain as well.
jjmffca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #11

I have one of those clear elbows with an attachment for a hose that allows you to back flush the black tank. We just bought a 2509s and I used that and the factory black tank flush. Each one removed stuff the other didn't.
Den69RS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den69RS96 View Post
I have one of those clear elbows with an attachment for a hose that allows you to back flush the black tank. We just bought a 2509s and I used that and the factory black tank flush. Each one removed stuff the other didn't.
That's been my normal procedure too. From the sound, I don't think the flusher rotates at all on mine. On the last trip of the season we found the water at the dump station was damaged and disabled by the SF which was disappointing to say the least, which made the final flush out of the season more of a challenge.
Was able to fill the black tank via 2- 5 gal "jerry "cans to help out the evacuation. Had the 2 additional full ones sitting in the bath to rinse out what was left. After I pulled the tank valve I went inside and filled the bowl 6X , rapidly, from the jerry cans and hit the lever. With the clear elbow on the outside, my DW reported she thought that did a better job than with either of the previous methods and it was clear after the 3X. From this point on, at the end of the season this is the route I'll take. On mine, I can see down into the tank with a flashlight and it's about as cleaned out as it will get and that was not always the case,
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, tank