Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
Newbie-big time

Black tank flush ??

It seems like I should be able to hold all my newbie questions and ask all at once, but each time I visit this forum I learn something I should know about. Thank you all for that.

Anyway, my G19FD has a black tank flush hose connection. Can I assume that is an installed internal spray wash or is it more likely to be a fill and drain flush ?

Thanks , Roger
SSBN624Gold NUC Engineering
ItsThe2ofUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThe2ofUs View Post
It seems like I should be able to hold all my newbie questions and ask all at once, but each time I visit this forum I learn something I should know about. Thank you all for that.

Anyway, my G19FD has a black tank flush hose connection. Can I assume that is an installed internal spray wash or is it more likely to be a fill and drain flush ?

Thanks , Roger
It's more an internal spray wash.

You need to have the sewer connection OPEN when you use the black tank flush feature. Also, having a clear connection similar to this straight one or the elbow ones available, will help you determine when the tank is clean. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Sewer...s%2C198&sr=8-2
Old 05-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThe2ofUs View Post

Thanks , Roger
It is a black tank cleanout port. It would only fill the black tank if the dump valve was closed, typically a no, no. Additionally, the black tank flush is a self contained system and is isolated from all other plumbing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Newbie-big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
It's more an internal spray wash.

You need to have the sewer connection OPEN when you use the black tank flush feature. Also, having a clear connection similar to this straight one or the elbow ones available, will help you determine when the tank is clean. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Sewer...s%2C198&sr=8-2
Thanks Folkes; That is what i was thinking , but felt it good to verify; I can certainly understand NOT having the black tank valve CLOSED; what a problem that could be inside the RV. I have all the parts suggested and will be hooking up for real on Wed for our first trip out; couple nights in Kanab.

Thanks, R
Old 05-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

R, Thanks, I'm a New Bee as well, thanks for asking so we all can learn. Enjoy Kanab. Currently am in the Oregon coast. I just emptied the black then grey tanks, but didn't know enough about the flush to use it yet.

I've had some prior older rv "black tank dump" fails, it's not my best skill set yet, but nothing like a fail to learn fast!
T L Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Black Tank.

Look into the geo method to ensure a clean tank and sensors,
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #7

Kanab - Is that restaurant still on main street with the photos of all the old western movie stars on the walls? Haven't been there since about '08. They said that Kanab was a center for those movies and those folks would eat there when making them.

Sorry for the hi-jack but it seems your question has been answered. One thing I found is that when using the flush inlet if you have too much pressure it's not so good. Not a pleasant odor.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

I guess I somewhat go against the conventional wisdom. When I dump our black tank, my next step after dumping is to check the full meter. If it doesn’t show empty, I close the valve and use the tank flush to refill the tank. That is the easiest way to refill and get a full dump to remove objects that might be stuck. OF COURSE you must closely monitor the meter to make sure not to overfill!! As soon as the meter starts to show full, I shut off the flush and dump again. This seems to work really well and generally is a quick way to refill the black tank.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Having not had a black tank flush on my previous Rockwood and having one in my current TT, I can say that I love it. Gets more stuff out of my black tank, than I did with a flush wand and Dual-Flush attachment. And it is so simple to put water back in, after dumping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #10

Flush black from the inside

After emptying the black, i close it and go inside. I have an old mayo plastic jar cut in half. The cap end fits perfectly into the toilet. The water goes over the jar and into the black tank. I set a timer for 18 minutes and STAY IN THE AREA. I then remove the mayo jar and keep my foot on the flush for about another two minutes. I can easily tell when tank is tippy top ful and stop the gill. Then back outside and redump. Works greT!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #11

I had a good suggestion made to me about the black tank flush. You might try it. After you dump and turn your flush on, let it run for a short time. Then close black tank valve for a short time. Then with the flush still running open black tank valve. I ddo this several times. You be surprised what will come out.
grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #12

I do the same as grease monkey. Each time it loosens a bit more. Also a clear 90° or a 45° to see the difference. Just don't get distracted and walk away from a closed valve with the tank rinse on.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
I do the same as grease monkey. Each time it loosens a bit more. Also a clear 90° or a 45° to see the difference. Just don't get distracted and walk away from a closed valve with the tank rinse on.
I set the stop watch on my phone for 2 minutes and dump after that several times. Then let it run open while I do other stuff.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Newbie-big time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
Kanab - Is that restaurant still on main street with the photos of all the old western movie stars on the walls? Haven't been there since about '08. They said that Kanab was a center for those movies and those folks would eat there when making them.

Sorry for the hi-jack but it seems your question has been answered. One thing I found is that when using the flush inlet if you have too much pressure it's not so good. Not a pleasant odor.

Paul
Paul. Likely it’s the Rocking V. It’s been a while and I really don’t remember, but it’s been there for quite a while.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM   #15

Thanks for asking

Thanks for asking this question. You Tube can be great at informing you or confusing you. I have watched several videos from the "experts" who RV full time on how best to dump and clean the black tank. There are as many methods as there are videos.

I have the Black Tank flush connection on my TT. I think I will follow the most often described method which is dump the tank, close the valve, fill the tank (keeping an eye on the levels), open the valve, repeat until clear. Hopefully, that will give me the best result.

As a relative newbe I too learn a lot from this forum. Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge you seasoned RV'ers give us new guys.
Dwill3332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
I guess I somewhat go against the conventional wisdom. When I dump our black tank, my next step after dumping is to check the full meter. If it doesn’t show empty, I close the valve and use the tank flush to refill the tank. That is the easiest way to refill and get a full dump to remove objects that might be stuck. OF COURSE you must closely monitor the meter to make sure not to overfill!! As soon as the meter starts to show full, I shut off the flush and dump again. This seems to work really well and generally is a quick way to refill the black tank.
I do the same thing except I don't use the meter to let me know when the tank is almost full. I don't trust the lights enough to do that. Instead, I shut off the water pump and stand in the bathroom with the toilet flush valve open and watched the tank fill so I can see when it is getting close to the top.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:13 PM   #17

I'm not convinced my flush system works that well. I could have a kink in the hose somewhere. When I run it, it seems the outflow is less than it should be.

On my old trailer, I installed an aftermarket flush sprayer, and it was really obvious when it was working.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #18

https://www.amazon.com/Save-a-Drop-P...0982751&sr=8-5

I hope the above link works. I always dump the tank and use the water meter above to measure how much water is going into the black tank. No guessing on time, no hoping the sensors work, no need to go inside.

For $15.00 it is great peace of mind. I will typicallly flush and refill 3 times before not seeing any paper flushed.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
I use the same method, and apply the Geo concept at the end by adding 1 cup of Calgon along with 1/2 cup of Dawn and let it sit till the next dump. This seems to really help keep the sensors clear of debris.

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
I'm not convinced my flush system works that well. I could have a kink in the hose somewhere. When I run it, it seems the outflow is less than it should be.

On my old trailer, I installed an aftermarket flush sprayer, and it was really obvious when it was working.
It's possible that the black tank flush is not working the way you want. The solution by 360true and others will help flush that tank efficiently. Filling the tank more than once with water and dumping is going to give you the 'flushing' that you're looking for.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank