Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Bought another Forest River

Good morning my fellow adventurers,

I am sorry to hear when someone buys a new travelling home and has a bad experience.

This post is for those considering a purchase and are browsing the boards looking for owner sentiment and satisfaction....

Every manufactured product in the world has a failure rate. Flaws, defects, built after lunch on Friday or poor employee adherence to proper building/ finishing procedure. Our hope as consumers is that the manufacturers QC or final inspection team will catch these errors/ flaws. Again... Humans.

I am on my second Forest River product. My first was a Salem 26TBUD... 26', 3 bunk beds and 1 slide out. My new (kids are gone... YAY!) trailer is a Rockwood 8328BS. BS stands for Big shot! One month in.. 6 nights in the bunk.. 0 problems.

Point 1 to the prospective buyer... On some level you get what you pay for.

I had no real complaints with my Salem. It was less expensive. Built with less expensive materials, less flash and less accoutrements... BUT, fit and finish were great. It traveled/camped like a boss! Nothing says a less expensive anything should be acceptable with less than perfect fit and finish. Check this out BEFORE you write a check.

Point 2. Less expensive materials are less expensive for a reason.

You will not get the wear, shine or usage life out of materials that were cheaper to produce than you will out of more expensive materials. This has been known since 389 BC... but I digress.. So if you are buying for extra long term, long haul and/or extra heavy use, consider an upgrade.

Point 3. Research your Dealer!

PDI and initial walk through are very important. Bad taste from a bad first voyage tends to linger. Beyond that... a dealer that can be trusted to hold up a manufacturers warranty and is interested in your personal satisfaction is worth his weight in gold. A fly by night or we forgot your name the minute we cashed your check or "we're to busy to get to warranty work this month" dealer will make camping with the family a practice in worry that something might break. And things do break. It's not a cinder block 4 wall with cement roof. Ask around about your dealer... know your warranty, consider extended warranty.

Last... Research, research, research. We (class A, 5th wheel, TT) are a friendly bunch. We hope to see you out and about. We will walk over from our campfire with a flashlight and help you back in. You can absolutely ask how or why and we will explain in detail what we think. These boards are a good example of that. They are also a place where people can air their complaints and disappointments. These are very much worth reading... just don't take one persons misfortune or one bad dealer or one loose plumbing connection to indicate bad manufacturing or warranty practices. There's a reason so many of us are happy living on the road...
sleblanc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

I appreciate the review! I was in the same boat and did the same thing! I had an older trailer (like 1970s) that I camped in for a few years while I found out what I liked and didn't like. This led me to purchasing an EVO and I have camped in it and owned it for a year, close to 20 nights camped total and I am extremely satisfied.

I especially liked how you articulated "you get what you pay for" and "less expensive is for a reason". I tried to tell some people that and they were like entry level campers aren't "inexpensive" to which I replied compared to the high end model yes they are!

I paid close to 20K by the time I left the dealer and I understand that is an entry level unit, I think a lot of people just assume that an entry level unit will perform like a 60k unit and then they are disappointed because of an unrealistic initial expectation and then couple that with no thorough research into the dealer and the customer ends up really upset.

I think you explained it perfectly and I wish people would read things like this and research before taking the plunge. PDI IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

My opinion? The 2% (+/-) that have had a bad experience, make 99% of the negative noise. Don't get me wrong. I am sorry for their negative experience, but the 98% of us happy folks don't tend to make much noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Excellent.

Thank you.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

X2

These are light weight camp trailers not 750k Prevosts. I can deal with minor issues... I have my fingers crossed that nothing serious breaks.
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Our Wildcat is a 2015, and we have had it for a year now. We used it a lot last year, perhaps 9,000 miles. I had a 20+ item punch list for the dealer upon our return. None of the items kept us off the road. I would not consider any of the items a major issue. Our dealer is working through the list and the FR warranty is covering everything.
I would definitely purchase another FR product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Our dealer is working through the list... + ..... the FR warranty is covering everything.... = ....I would definitely purchase another FR product.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Bought another FR

We have been camping for over 40 years. Tent and backpacks, to truck camper to TT's (3)
We are currently in our second FR product. Had a Flagstaff 22' for three years and decided it was too small for our expanding travels. Now have a 2011 TK28RKS Wildcat. While we have had almost NO problems with either of the FR products there is a HUGE difference in quality in the two units. One of the reasons we bought our Wildcat was that we like to camp off the beaten path . Did most of 14000 (8700 miles for you folks south of the border) last summer, taking us 250 miles north of the Arctic Circle and included 1000+ miles of gravel road. We had virtually zero problems with our Wildcat that are worth talking about. ( small mouldings that came loose etc). On the other hand I wouldn't even consider taking the Flagstaff into that kind of territory. Wheels smaller, torsion suspension, too low to the ground, general cabinet work not designed for bush travel etc. For the quality, we sacrificed a lot of extra weigh....100% in fact. Our Flagstaff dry weight 4000lbs, our W/Cat 8000 lbs. I will most likely buy another FR product because these 2 have been good to us. The other point is, anything you use a lot needs maintenance. Because we go for extended periods and long ways from home, often in remote areas, I do a major " look" in the spring before we hit the road. Pull wheels, check bearings and brakes , roll under and have a look at all visible wiring etc. I'm all about doing my maintenance in a controlled atmosphere rather than on the side of the road 😊 Just sayin!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Awesome, I wanna go... got an extra bunk for me in that Wildcat?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

Lol......lotsa space but other than our grandchildren, we like our own company best��. Very rare we even travel with someone else in another unit. Just how we roll. But we do love the less travelled country.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #11

Part of the draw to camping and roaming around in a trailer... My wife and I feel the same way... we just haven't reached that place in life where we can just take off! But... with the kids all being freshly graduated into life WE ARE ON OUR WAY!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #12

bought another?

The reason I clicked on this post was to see how someone could actually make a mistake twice in 1 life time. As far as "buying cheep" produces "cheep" product. I spent $90,000 on our cardinal 5th wheel. I guess next time I'm in the market I'll wait till they raise the price to $150,000 so I can get something that will make it through 1 season without falling apart. Thanks for informing me I'm just too cheap for my own good.
sam2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #13

sam2424, I do not know your story, and am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, however, I would wager that your problems are with your dealer not FR.
Many FR owners will tell you to go straight to FR with problems that become nightmares at the dealer level. You will find owners who have had their RV, in or out of the warranty period, repaired or completely rebuilt at the factory.
Search for the warranty person at the Cardinal plant, contact them like they were a friend and patiently wait for them to solve your problems.

Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Bought another Forest River

I'm on my third forest river product in 10 years!

First was a 2005 flagstaff 831bhss tt that had zero issues in the 5 years I owned it.

Second was a 2010 Sabre 32bhok-6 5th wheel that we Owned 5 years with minor issues
Heat duct engineering issue.
Bedroom slide issue.
And a few minor things that was either fixed at the dealer or at the goshen rally.

3rd unit is a 2015 Columbus 320rs
Had it since October and used it two weekends and so far we only had a piece of trim that needed nailed down during pdi.

Time will tell but I have the utmost confidence that this unit will be like the others, very few and minor issues!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
sam2424, I do not know your story, and am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, however, I would wager that your problems are with your dealer not FR.
Many FR owners will tell you to go straight to FR with problems that become nightmares at the dealer level. You will find owners who have had their RV, in or out of the warranty period, repaired or completely rebuilt at the factory.
Search for the warranty person at the Cardinal plant, contact them like they were a friend and patiently wait for them to solve your problems.

Travel safe
I almost put FR on rapid dial of my phone. I called the dealer and FR every day for an entire 2 weeks (and that was after waiting 2 months for them to take responsibility naturally). It was only after a registered letter sent from my attorney and treat of law suit was several problems (6 in all) resolved. This warranty work was not dealers fault (with the exception of not being able to get FR to approve work). It was things like ceiling tile coming off ceiling, window blinds falling off windows, retractable RV not coming all the way up, release valves on waste water rusting shut ect. These things all happen after only a couple of trips. The original post was right. Cheap materials make cheap units. I just didn't realize $90,000 was considered cheap.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #16

Maybe yours was the made after lunch on Friday during Oktoberfest... 90K is a lot for 5th wheel so obviously you did not buy and entry level unit. Right is right and wrong is wrong and the squeaky wheel usually gets greased... but sometimes you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Maybe they are just picking on you.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
I almost put FR on rapid dial of my phone. I called the dealer and FR every day for an entire 2 weeks (and that was after waiting 2 months for them to take responsibility naturally). It was only after a registered letter sent from my attorney and treat of law suit was several problems (6 in all) resolved. This warranty work was not dealers fault (with the exception of not being able to get FR to approve work). It was things like ceiling tile coming off ceiling, window blinds falling off windows, retractable RV not coming all the way up, release valves on waste water rusting shut ect. These things all happen after only a couple of trips. The original post was right. Cheap materials make cheap units. I just didn't realize $90,000 was considered cheap.
Man that doesnt sound fun. Do you have a thread here outlining your troubles I'd like to read that. Were all these problems present at the PDI or they just crept up during the warranty period? My experience was completely opposite. FR was great with my only minor problem, my dealer was even better. I had a small cabinet issue, FR sent the part to the dealer within 3 days and my dealer drove to my house and fixed it for me, instead of me bringing the TT there.

Do you still have the unit and how is it treating you now?

Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Man that doesnt sound fun. Do you have a thread here outlining your troubles I'd like to read that. Were all these problems present at the PDI or they just crept up during the warranty period? My experience was completely opposite. FR was great with my only minor problem, my dealer was even better. I had a small cabinet issue, FR sent the part to the dealer within 3 days and my dealer drove to my house and fixed it for me, instead of me bringing the TT there.

Do you still have the unit and how is it treating you now?
The problems mentioned wasn't my only problems, but I repaired them myself. It wasn't that I wanted to (after spending that much money), but I bought it last March (2015) and I had no desire to let the dealer have it during the summer. So I fixed the things that absolutely needed fixing to continue camping through the summer making note of the things that could wait till later. Our final camping trip of 2015 was over in mid October so the very next day I took it to my dealer to get numerous thing put back together from traveling down the road during the summer. From March to October we had went on 6 adventures (Gettysburg, Gatlinburg, Nashville, and the other 3 were just around my state locally). The dealer advised me they were running about 3 weeks behind, but it should only take a day or 2 to actually do the work. I waited 2 months and hadn't heard from dealer. I wasn't any hurry, but I was just curious, plus I wanted to get unit into storage before the snow flew. Dealer advised me that FR had OKed 3 of the repairs and was waiting for approval for the other 3. I waited another week and was told the same thing again. So I called FR. They informed me that the dealer hadn't requested any warranty work to be preformed on that unit. Somebody was lieing to me. So for the next 2 weeks I would call the dealer and soon as I got done with that call, I would call FR. Still nothing was being done. So I contacted my lawyer and he advised both the dealer and FR what we would be seeking in damages if not returned (fixed) within in a certain time line. Magically FR and dealer started calling me. Within 3 days after the letter was sent my unit was ready to be picked up. You asked if everything has worked out since then. Well I can't say in was late December when I got unit back home and it has been in storage ever since. I informed FR after the entire situation was over that no company is better than their worse employee. And for them not to expect another dime from me and that I would give them as much advertisement as I could. (such as this post)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
The problems mentioned wasn't my only problems, but I repaired them myself. It wasn't that I wanted to (after spending that much money), but I bought it last March (2015) and I had no desire to let the dealer have it during the summer. So I fixed the things that absolutely needed fixing to continue camping through the summer making note of the things that could wait till later. Our final camping trip of 2015 was over in mid October so the very next day I took it to my dealer to get numerous thing put back together from traveling down the road during the summer. From March to October we had went on 6 adventures (Gettysburg, Gatlinburg, Nashville, and the other 3 were just around my state locally). The dealer advised me they were running about 3 weeks behind, but it should only take a day or 2 to actually do the work. I waited 2 months and hadn't heard from dealer. I wasn't any hurry, but I was just curious, plus I wanted to get unit into storage before the snow flew. Dealer advised me that FR had OKed 3 of the repairs and was waiting for approval for the other 3. I waited another week and was told the same thing again. So I called FR. They informed me that the dealer hadn't requested any warranty work to be preformed on that unit. Somebody was lieing to me. So for the next 2 weeks I would call the dealer and soon as I got done with that call, I would call FR. Still nothing was being done. So I contacted my lawyer and he advised both the dealer and FR what we would be seeking in damages if not returned (fixed) within in a certain time line. Magically FR and dealer started calling me. Within 3 days after the letter was sent my unit was ready to be picked up. You asked if everything has worked out since then. Well I can't say in was late December when I got unit back home and it has been in storage ever since. I informed FR after the entire situation was over that no company is better than their worse employee. And for them not to expect another dime from me and that I would give them as much advertisement as I could. (such as this post)
Wow, it almost seems like the problem was with the dealer, if the dealer told you 3 had been ok-d but then FR said no warranty work was requested it seems like the dealer may have been busy and not actually made any requests. It does seem like most were small fixes and it seems like it "should" be good to go now. I understand the frustration but to say buying a FR is a mistake anyone can say that about any brand, all brands have problems and warranty work.

Maybe Im more easy going but you got to use the unit all summer, the time spent in the shop was winter and non-camping months (free storage) and the repairs were covered and got done. I see that as a win but I guess Im laid back about things.

Hopefully it treats you better this camping season.

Tags
forest river