Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Brand new 2509s and I bent the stabilizer jacks the first time out :(

We are very new to the travel scene, so everything is a learning experience.

Long story short I bent two of the stabilizer jacks on the right side.

Since this is a brand new trailer wondering if I need to take this in to be repaired/replaced or If I can/should just replace myself.

If I should replace myself... what jacks should I purchase and is there anything I need to know.

Thanks!
jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that. its all a part of learning.

I too bent one of mine on the 4th time out. I am not sure of your circumstances but mine was a lack of checking where I was driving. I went into a dip in the road in a campground and on the way down the gravel road snagged my front left stabilizer jack. I could just bend mine back after removing it which was only 4 bolts.

Replacing them seems like a simple thing do to with just 4 bolts as long as the frame is intact and not compromised.

Walmart has 4 of them for $89 here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-of-4-...&wl13=&veh=sem

or a set of 2 for $54 here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-of-2-...Ms7UK7uw5tQsE4

Good luck.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post

I too bent one of mine on the 4th time out. I am not sure of your circumstances but mine was a lack of checking where I was driving. I went into a dip in the road in a campground and on the way down the gravel road snagged my front left stabilizer jack. I could just bend mine back after removing it which was only 4 bolts.

Replacing them seems like a simple thing do to with just 4 bolts as long as the frame is intact and not compromised.

Walmart has 4 of them for $89 here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-of-4-...&wl13=&veh=sem

or a set of 2 for $54 here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-of-2-...Ms7UK7uw5tQsE4

Good luck.

Thanks! I was setting up the traile and apparently the ground was soft not secure, not entirely sure what happened but I had the right side down and the entire camper shifted and slightly rolled even with chocks... bending the jacks. The frame looks great doesn't look like any issues just the jacks..the one jack is completely bent when the trailer shifted,is very slight.. I will look at these new jacks.
I just wanted to make sure I could do it myself and didn't have to take to the dealer since it's new!

I appreciate the advice! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

The links didn't work for me. Try this link and try to match what you have on your RV. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...FQZLDQod4t0GnQ
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

I bent my front jacks, going off road; and easily replaced them.
I even bought a spare set at camp-world.
I always carry and use extra blocks under the jacks.

--------------
Ram2500 diesel
Surveyor 251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
I bent my front jacks, going off road; and easily replaced them.
I even bought a spare set at camp-world.
I always carry and use extra blocks under the jacks.

--------------
Ram2500 diesel
Surveyor 251RKS

What type of blocks are you using? I bought those hard rubber mats for under but they didnt work that great and am I'm all lost wondering if that worked against me/helping the trailer slide.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Site Team

jwitzel, you need a set of tandem wheel chocks, not just wedge chocks.
Your trailer won't move if you put them on both sides.

And remember, the jacks are for stabilizing, NOT for leveling.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #8

I use those plastic blocks that come in a package of about 10. I also carry lots of 4x4 and 2x6 blocks, plus a 14" x 8" tree stump for the front leg.
------------
Ram2500 diesel/Surveyor251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
ARLO

We were driving off a ferry in Nova Scotia and dragged the rear electric stabilizer jacks on the exit ramp. I was able to free them up and bend the shaft back close enough to use them. Thank god. We were on a 4500 mile trip. When I got home, I was able to straighten the connector shaft so that they functioned OK.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
I use those plastic blocks that come in a package of about 10. I also carry lots of 4x4 and 2x6 blocks, plus a 14" x 8" tree stump for the front leg.
------------
Ram2500 diesel/Surveyor251RKS
I have 2 sets of the plastic blocks and 4 pieces of 2x6. The plastic works great to keep the auto-level feet clean.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #11

Build blocks

I bought a 2in x 6in x 8ft pressure treated lumber and made four pads for my jacks. I made them two layers tall and one layer 90 degrees off from the other. I have yet to find a turf they can't "bite" into.

I also use the Anderson leveler system for right to left leveling. if on a loose substrate, I place the Andersons on a 3/4 in. piece of plywood with skateboard sandpaper glued on top. No skids so far.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...g-Wheel_Chocks

Chuck and Chris
2002 Lincoln Navigator
Flagstaff T12DDST
San Antonio, TX
GO SPURS
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherman View Post

Good luck.
Since you aer new here I will offer one bit of cautionary advicer. Your jacks are not for leveling the camper, they are to make it stable once you have leveled it.

First, level the camper, then chock your wheels, then put down the stabilizer jacks to keep it from wobbling around when you walk around inside.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #13

Sorry about the damage to your support jack.

We learned more than 30 years ago to: (a) make sure you do not use the stabilizer jacks for leveling, and (b) make sure once you are level that the ground under each stabilizer is firm. We sometimes had to dig out unstable soil and debris under each stabilizer to make sure of the latter. We also used a combination of wooden blocks of various lengths to make sure the stabilizer jacks would land on a firm foundation.

Replacing the damaged stabilizers should be a pretty straightforward task. However, you may want to check with the manufacturer of your trailer to determine what kind of material into which the stabiizers are bolted. If it is fiber-board, or something less than heavy-duty plywood, the bolt holes may have been damaged by the original failure. You may need inserts to restore the structural integrity of the original Mounting holes.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #14

Yes, X-chocks are great and would have prevented this if I am understanding what happened here.
scotty1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitzel View Post
Thanks! I was setting up the traile and apparently the ground was soft not secure, not entirely sure what happened but I had the right side down and the entire camper shifted and slightly rolled even with chocks... bending the jacks. The frame looks great doesn't look like any issues just the jacks..the one jack is completely bent when the trailer shifted,is very slight.. I will look at these new jacks.
I just wanted to make sure I could do it myself and didn't have to take to the dealer since it's new!

I appreciate the advice! Thanks!

BAL Standard Locking Chock - $31.02

For future. I gave mine away with the old coach lastvyear. Just ordered the new one today. Nothing rolls anywhere with this thing set up and tightened.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Easy Job

I had been out several times before I managed to bend mine. Whose dumber you or me? I think me! The good news is regardless which stabilizers you choose as a replacement it is a super easy job to replace them and not that expensive.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #17

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice, I do agree securing the trailer better would have prevented this. I will be getting those chock lock and making sure the ground is secure. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Since you aer new here I will offer one bit of cautionary advicer. Your jacks are not for leveling the camper, they are to make it stable once you have leveled it.

First, level the camper, then chock your wheels, then put down the stabilizer jacks to keep it from wobbling around when you walk around inside.
I'd add.. Level your trailer across the width to determine if you need blocking under your tires.. Then chock your wheels.. Then unhook the trailer from the TV and level with the tongue jack for the length levelling.. Then put down the stabilizer jacks... The next morning, double check all of your jacks to make sure everything is still good. This allows some settling after moving around in the trailer. It may seem like a routine, but if someone has never set-up a trailer before it may help..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #19

We have a 2017 2109S. I'm very unimpressed with how the stabilizers are mounted to the frame. I haven't really investigated very much into it yet but the mounting plate on top of the jack is wider than the frame it self so part of it is sticking out there in mid air. They're very wobbly. Doesn't seem to be that a wobbly stabilizer is going to do much stabilizing. Anyone else notice this? I see some trailers have the jacks mounted diagonally to the frame, maybe this helps?

I use X Chocks and really like them.
rjgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
Site Team

A lot worse can happen. Easy repair, cheap repair, lesson learned, and the damage will not show after repairs. You came out better than some.
Welcome, and thanks for sharing.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, first time, jacks