Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Breaking sway bars

Last year I installed a left side sway bar and pulled the trailer all last year with out any problems. Then in October on the way home I snapped the ball off of the hitch that the sway bar hooks to. Replaced it and pulled the trailer in March, no problem, Then last weekend I broke the left side bar again. Any ideas anyone might have as to why this is happening I'd like to hear them. I run them pretty tight and never backup with them on.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Haven't used friction sway bars before, but it does sound like you have them cranked to tight. They are designed to have give at the friction point to allow movement, if it can't move there the pressure will get moved to a location that it was not designed for. I would suggest that if you need the extra control from the bar being that tight, install a second bar on the other side and don't crank them both so tight. Or, install a different type of system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #3

Never used that style and never will , due to the fact you can`t back up with them. I`d get a different WDH
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #4

Sounds to me like you have them too tight.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
Never used that style and never will , due to the fact you can`t back up with them. I`d get a different WDH
They're not bad for lighter loads. Anything over about 25' and/or 5000 lbs and you really need two. Just more stuff to take off and put on. I run a single now, but went with built in sway for the next trailer. But, to the point, you CAN back up with them, just not at more than about a 45 deg. angle without risking bending something. I found out the hard way you can do the same thing in a tight turn going forwards as well.

Tags
sway