Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #1

Build time given

OK so after having our Signature Ultra lite 8298KS on order for a month here is the report I was given today from our dealer.
Our build is scheduled to start on December 11 and the dealer wont receive it until January 25th. They explained that the whole reason for the slow down is what we all already know. Supplier's and parts.

I have never been to one of these factories so I have no idea how long it takes to build one from start to finish. I also have no idea what they do with them while it waits on parts.
It would be nice to hear from folks who have gone through this or have a knowledge about it.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

One thing that has not been mentioned is the company that ships the RV to your dealer many take a couple of weeks to pick it up from the factory depending on how busy they are.

It could sit outside in a lot for several weeks waiting for items such as an ac unit but it would be closed in so that rain can not get inside. The physical structure would be completed.

As far as the factory itself it may be running at a slower capacity / build speed as many factories are currently, also due to Covid-19

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
OK so after having our Signature Ultra lite 8298KS on order for a month here is the report I was given today from our dealer.
Our build is scheduled to start on December 11 and the dealer wont receive it until January 25th. They explained that the whole reason for the slow down is what we all already know. Supplier's and parts.

I have never been to one of these factories so I have no idea how long it takes to build one from start to finish. I also have no idea what they do with them while it waits on parts.
It would be nice to hear from folks who have gone through this or have a knowledge about it.
I don’t know about your model, but based upon my observations at the r-pod facility, it probably takes about one or two days to make an r-pod from when the frame comes in the door. Of course, this was pre-panic.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #4

Like Oaklevel said they do build the units without the parts on backorder ( if possible ) I was out there is September and ALL manufactures had units sitting waiting on parts, some had windows missing but were covered up, heard of one factory waiting on a/c units and even the interior wallboard. Then once complete they are set to shippers for transport and who knows how long that can take. Actual build time on the line could be a day or two if they have everything they need.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Actual build time on the line could be a day or two if they have everything they need.
WOW They can build a 5th wheel in 2 days. That is much faster than I wold have ever thought. I will no longer blame the worker if he is forced to work that fast. At that rate of build speed ,it's a wonder there are not even more issues with them than they already have.

I have seen a few FR videos of how the factory builds them. How they are slapping walls and roofs together as fast as they can.

If production has been slowed then maybe its a better build. The worker may have more time to do his job with out the stress and hurry.

Amazing they do it this way in that industry. You would think they would slow down just enough to get it all right. OH well as always its all about the bottom line . After all that is why they're build them.

Thanks to each of you for the replies and thoughts.

Years camping 50+,
Old 11-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Couple other points- the factories build floor plans in batches. They don’t just make whatever is ordered as the orders come in. So different floor plans can have different wait times depending on the next production run. Also there is word that some plants have had to shut down from Covid- no way to predict that. Appliance availability, as mentioned, is the major factor slowing down production from what I hear, though. Lots of manufacturers are installing whatever they can get their hands on- so be prepared for the possibility of changes in brand and type compared to what might have been in use several months ago. 12V fridges IPO 2 way fridges is very common. A lot of lines that used to offer 2nd ac option are now only offering wire/brace as an option because they don’t have enough ACs available.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Couple other points- the factories build floor plans in batches. They don’t just make whatever is ordered as the orders come in. So different floor plans can have different wait times depending on the next production run. Also there is word that some plants have had to shut down from Covid- no way to predict that. Appliance availability, as mentioned, is the major factor slowing down production from what I hear, though. Lots of manufacturers are installing whatever they can get their hands on- so be prepared for the possibility of changes in brand and type compared to what might have been in use several months ago. 12V fridges IPO 2 way fridges is very common. A lot of lines that used to offer 2nd ac option are now only offering wire/brace as an option because they don’t have enough ACs available.
Well they may do some changes , but if I don't get 2 AC's the deal is over.
Need them down south. It is that simple.

Years camping 50+,
Old 11-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #8

We placed a special order for a Cedar Creek Cottage on 8/21. The dealer was told by the manufacturer it would take two months.

Two weeks ago I was informed the trailer has been built and is sitting at manufacturer’s lot waiting on a back-ordered heat pump for the a/c unit. I could have it shipped at any time if I wish to forego the heat pump.

There’s no ETA on when the part if going to come in. But for now we’re going to keep waiting as we’re in no rush.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Now Camping Year-Round!!

That was our main reason we chose to buy a 2020 Rockwood Signature sitting on a dealers lot-a unit that just happened to be built just prior to Covid. It had everything we wanted except except one which our dealer is adding. In looking at not only Rockwood dealers, but other brands as well, we had heard about supply and demand problems for ordering new units and didn't want to worry about when supplies would be back in stock.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #10

We were told by 5 different dealers 3-4 months. So we kept searching until we found something we liked already on a lot. We pick it up next week.
JohnAmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAmi View Post
We were told by 5 different dealers 3-4 months. So we kept searching until we found something we liked already on a lot. We pick it up next week.

I could not find one on a lot that matched our WANT LIST ITEMS.
So we placed the order. I wish I could have gone your route , but this will be our last camper and we wanted it built with the options we wanted with no exceptions.
I have bought both ways in the past. From the manufacture and off the lot.
When I bought off the lot I had to make exceptions.

Years camping 50+,