Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Thank you.. will get two chocks. one for each tire.

I have always thought that one can not have enough blocks of wood. These help under the jacks.

A small level is always a big help when setting up "camp".
Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Hi,

I just purchased a geo pro 20bhs and it will be delivery mid feb. My question is since this is my first trailer, what accessories do I need to buy?

Thank you

What's your tow vehicle? You may want to check if it's towing ready.
Double Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Jay View Post
What's your tow vehicle? You may want to check if it's towing ready.
I'm using my 2020 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 with towing package ready.
GVWR = 5900
load = 900

This should be good right?
Old 01-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
  • Surge protector: You'll need a 30 amp unit. We went with the Hughes Autoformer PWD30-EPO, but they do have a less expensive option. There are a lot of good options for a surge protector so do your research and go with the one you feel the most comfortable with!
  • Water filter: what you found on Amazon is what we got. We actually got it cheaper at Walmart!
  • The water hose you linked to will work, but the beauty of the ZeroG hose is that it collapses down into a much smaller and ligher "package" than the vinyl or rubber hoses. Here's a link to one. We actually got 2 of them so we can have the black tank flush hooked up at the same time.
  • Bins: we got 4 10-gallon Hefty totes from Lowe's. We can stack them 2 high in the front pass-thru storage. Slide them in longways and you can turn them 90-degrees and you can have several rows of them. We will probably get more of these so we can put the griddle and shelf in instead of staying in the cardboard box they came in! You'll find you'll need totes in differing sizes for the things you want to store and how you want to store them.
  • Water pressure regulator: We got this one. Some people like to be able to see the actual pressure and also adjust it. I can see the benefit, but didn't see a need to spend the extra $20 for an adjustable one.
  • 90-degree elbow. That's the one we got!
  • Sewer hose: That's the right one. We will probably get an extension kit just so we have enough distance. I'd rather have more hose when it comes to emptying the black tank!
  • Hose support: You picked a good option. Again, might think about a 15 or 20 foot kit to make sure the hose has enough support. The tank drain is pretty high on this trailer and I've had to use the leveling blocks to make sure the hose was supported near the drain.
  • Cordless drill/impact driver: what you chose will work. Doesn't have to be fancy, but be aware the one you linked to is just the driver, you'll need to buy the battery separately. I would also add the scissor jack adapter as well. It goes in the impact driver and can raise or lower the stabilizer jacks pretty quick!
  • Leveling blocks: we got 2 sets of these and we have been glad we did! I plan on using this to do the side-to-side leveling this year (along with the LevelMate Pro), and then using the leveling blocks under the tongue jack and stabilizer jacks.
  • Chocks: i would not recommend using those chocks. Find some chunky rubber ones. We got 2 pairs of these and they've been pretty good. If you do go with the leveler i linked to above, you will only need to use 1 pair, but it won't hurt to have 2 sets of chocks!
  • Stabilizer jacks: you don't need to buy these, they are installed on the trailer frame from the factory. There is one on each corner.
I would also add that an outdoor rug or carpet is also recommended. These go along the camp side of the trailer and can help keep things out of the camper, control dirt, rocks, etc. They also can add some personality to the campsite! Not sure if this search link works, but give it a shot!: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+outdoo...ss_ts-a-p_2_10

It's a learning process and it can take a bit of time to find what works best for you and how you like to camp. The stuff I recommended is what we have started with, and many of those are from what other people have recommended based on their experiences. Over time, you may find things that work better for you and then you can recommend those to people who are just starting.

This forum is full of very knowledgeable, helpful people who are happy to offer help or advice!
Amazing feedback!! thank you again. I am writing a list of stuff down to purchase. This will be my master list . I also went to youtube and watch some video on how to dump the black, grey water out. Seem pretty simple. I will watch more how to video on youtube on how to prepare myself

Thank you again!!
Old 01-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Before I start, trailer brake controller?

Water weighs A LOT. Some for the trip if it’s long and you want to use your TT potty. You can use it like ballast for more tongue weight, if needed, as FW tanks are often in front of the axle.

Hopefully, you get a full hookup Campsite (FHU - UP). Then you can take your time and cleanup if needed with your own water.
Lots of great Utube videos on setting up and tearing down. Setup - level side to side on the wheels, chock, and test steps before disconnecting. My steps are hinged at the bottom of the door and set on the ground, can interfere with the door. Then electrical, clean water, last black water hookups. Might sure all your cables and hoses reach BEFORE disconnecting from truck. THEN disconnect, level end to end, lower the stabilizers.
Tearing down FHU, sewer, FW, (dry hands), electrical.
I.e., Set Up, electric, clean hands, possibly dirty hands. Tear down, dirty, clean, then dry, electric.
You can use your “dirty hose” to flush out the toilet or tank if you have a flush fitting. Dump the black tank first. Flush with hose or even just toilet flush valve. I dump the tank, shut the valve, dump more water in, dump again. After the black tank, dump the gray tank (sink, shower water) to rinse the literal crap out of the sewer hose. Then after you disconnect that you can run more water using you “dirty” hose through the sewer hose.
Note: a basic one into two faucet hose splitter is handy to connect the extra hose.
Yup, utube is your friend.
You will NEVER get your black tank factory fresh. You get the worst out till you see no more floaties, hence the clear elbow recommendation. The tablets are to help cover smells and break down the Klingons in the tank. They are useless without water. Many recommend traveling with a little water in the black tank to use the tablets after dumping or when using the so called BIO tank cleaning mix for some sloshing action during travel.
If you have to use a dump station, you need to plan ahead and be organized cause everybody is waiting. There’s always some jerk trying to surgically clean his black tank. Ain’t gonna happen!
RVing is the place everyone talks S**T.
Thank you for the wonderful feedback..
I'm using the toshisa p3 brake controller.
I was watching some youtube video on how to clean out the blacka and grey waste. Seem pretty easy..

The campsite i will be camping will have full access to power and water.

Do all campsite have only one dump black/grey waste? or it depend? is there a campsite that have its own dump /black/grey ? that way I am not blocking anyone
Old 01-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
I'm using my 2020 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 with towing package ready.
GVWR = 5900
load = 900

This should be good right?
Are you saying that the Taco's payload capacity is 900lbs? If so, expect a loaded tongue weight of around 566lbs. Add 100lbs for the WDH, which is 666lbs. This leaves you 234lbs left over for everyone in the truck, truck add-ons(like bed cover/suspension enhancements) and truck cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey9 View Post
In the event it wasn't mentioned, take a wheel wrench and jack. Most new trailers don't have them. Have fun

Harvey
Harvey. Thank you.. will put it on my list to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevermont View Post
As you are new with camper. Never use home toilet paper as it will stick to the small lever to tell you what your black water level is at. It will give you the wrong information.
One writer mention about clear elbow for sewer drain, this is great if your unit have a black wash connection. If so, when you have the water hose connected to the black flush and see the waste going thru and see the clear water, DON'T STOP there, just keep the water on because it will fill up the tank again and surprised more black water will come out.

Happy camping and enjoying it. You will learn more as you go.
So what kind of toiler paper should I be using ? if not the home one? I am planning to get the clear elbow one as mention so I can see the black stuff and make sure it is all clean water. thank you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
How much boondocking do you plan on doing? You might want to ask exactly which make/model of batteries the dealer will be supplying. If you are going to do lots of boondocking, you might want to upgrade them.
For now we will just go places where they have power connection. for Boondocking I would say 2-3days max to start off then graudately go for 1 week max. With the battery and stuff how long does it even last if i have solar panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Add Lynx blocks,Happy Camper and water pressure regulator. They make regulators in 45 PSI and 55 PSI, prefer the 55.
Yes. I'm getting the lynx blocks and water pressure regulator with pressure controll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
For the water pressure regulator there are two types; real pressure regulators (which are usually adjustable), and flow reducers. You want to get the real pressure regulator, not the flow reducer and the real pressure regulators all pretty much look the same:

https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press.../dp/B081T2V17Y
That is the one i will be getting.. thank you!!
Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you saying that the Taco's payload capacity is 900lbs? If so, expect a loaded tongue weight of around 566lbs. Add 100lbs for the WDH, which is 666lbs. This leaves you 234lbs left over for everyone in the truck, truck add-ons(like bed cover/suspension enhancements) and truck cargo.
i will load everything in the trailer. So what you are saying is 234 lbs left over for everyone? we have a family of 4 and total weight is 400lbs.

So you saying this truck will be maxed out?
Old 01-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #29

RV toilet paper is made to break apart easier when wet. You can get it at any store with an RV section, Amazon, or at outrageous cost at the camp store at private campgrounds.

Not all campground sites are set up the same on utilities, in the same CG. Some with nothing, some electric only, some electric and water, some electric, water, & sewer. Some CGs have cable TV, some WiFi. Most have dump sites available, some may have several water faucets but not assigned to a specific site. It all comes down to cost and ease of install. Electric is easiest. Water second easiest but maintaining pressure and preventing leaks and freezing is a concern. Last comes sewage that requires gravity flow to work, maybe in sections to pump stations, and may need periodic flushing to maintain flow.
So, yes, a full hook up site has its own sewer and is what I always go for. Just electric & water with a dump site available is fine for a weekend but not a week unless you get a portable dump tank (whole new subject). You have to watch your tank levels then. Many ways to cut back on that, like if you’re near the CG bathhouse or rest rooms. With no sewer but water supplied, we use the outdoor shower for dishes and what washing we can. Even using a FHU Site, you can monitor your water usage to get an idea about when boondocking. If the AirCon isn’t needed, you can experiment with the AC power off to test power and propane usage and then use the AC power to recharge the batteries and regular power use. I normally run everything off AC power, fridge, water heater, seperate plug in electric heater when I can.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
i will load everything in the trailer. So what you are saying is 234 lbs left over for everyone? we have a family of 4 and total weight is 400lbs.

You didn't clarify if the 900 number is the truck's payload capacity or not.
If the truck's payload capacity is only 900lbs, then yes, you'll be over on payload.
These single axle trailers are tongue heavier, than a comparable tandem axle trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #31

Quote:

Yes, that’s what he said. But, double check that. What is the Taco’s GVWR on the white door sticker and the yellow edged Load Capacity sticker. 900# load capacity seems low. Figure the trailer factory tongue weight listing will be 100-200# more loaded for camping on this trailer. Loading the trailer (within its GVWR) vice the truck results in only 10-15% returned to the truck as tongue weight, saving on the truck’s load capacity.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #32

Quote:
You didn't clarify if the 900 number is the truck's payload capacity or not.
If the truck's payload capacity is only 900lbs, then yes, you'll be over on payload.
These single axle trailers are tongue heavier, than a comparable tandem axle trailer.
Ok this is what i found out about my truck: I thought it was 900 but it is more

2020 Toyota Tacoma Maximum Towing Capacity
To make the ultimate towing machine out of the 2020 Toyota Tacoma, you need to make sure you get the exact right configuration of options. The TRD Sport or SR5 trim, with 4×2 drive, access cab, 6-speed automatic transmission and V6 engine with the available tow package can tow a maximum of 6800 lbs.

2020 Toyota Tacoma Maximum Payload Capacity
In much the same way, the most well-equipped configurations of the 2020 Toyota Tacoma can haul up to 1440 lbs. loaded on their beds. As always, remember to stay below the recommended maximums and check straps, cables, and hitches to make sure your load and trailer are secure and safe for the road ahead.

2020 Toyota Tacoma Towing Technology
The latest Tacoma isn’t just a brute for pulling loads along, it has technology on its side. Equipped with trailer-sway control, included on the tow package, the truck can apply braking force to individual wheels and increase or decrease engine torque to automatically keep wind-blown or unstable loads as stable as possible.

Payload: 1440?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #33

You NEED to check those drivers door frame stickers for truth on your specific truck. Plugging in your signature truck, I found 1155# for its average load capacity. The manufacturers list maximums. You have a 4x4, Max is with a 2x4 standard cab. On a very basic chart from Toyota for your truck, they state 6400# towing capacity, 640# tongue weight. That trailer is under those specs but you’ll have to watch your tongue weight when loaded for camping. Part of that is traveling with minimal water.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
You NEED to check those drivers door frame stickers for truth on your specific truck. Plugging in your signature truck, I found 1155# for its average load capacity. The manufacturers list maximums. You have a 4x4, Max is with a 2x4 standard cab. On a very basic chart from Toyota for your truck, they state 6400# towing capacity, 640# tongue weight. That trailer is under those specs but you’ll have to watch your tongue weight when loaded for camping. Part of that is traveling with minimal water.
What is the tongue weight? can you explain that? I know that my load capacity is good and my tow capacity is good for this trailer. How do I calculate my tongue weight of 640?
Old 01-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #35
Site Team

aboyz, forget those bogus websites/brochure numbers. As was said, you need to find the yellow/white driver's door sticker. It usually says "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
This is important because single axle trailers will have heavier tongue weights, which counts against the truck's payload capacity.
Website/brochure dry weights are fictional numbers. Usually, 13% of the trailer's GVWR is a good ballpark loaded tongue weight, especially for single axle trailers.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #36

Quote:
aboyz, forget those bogus websites/brochure numbers. As was said, you need to find the yellow/white driver's door sticker. It usually says "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs".
This is important because single axle trailers will have heavier tongue weights, which counts against the truck's payload capacity.
Website/brochure dry weights are fictional numbers. Usually, 13% of the trailer's GVWR is a good ballpark loaded tongue weight, especially for single axle trailers.
here is a picture of my truck sticker..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-21-2021 2-46-07 PM.png
Views:	44
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	246391   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201215_053621889 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	246392  
Old 01-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
here is a picture of my truck sticker..
Well, you were close. Your payload capacity is only 990lbs.
So you can add 90lbs to the 234 number. That means you're still over payload.
Your only option is to not carry water and put very little in the trailer, to lower the tongue weight. Also look at the Andersen WDH, it's lighter than other WDHs.
You'll still be at max payload limits though. Your Taco must have some extra bling on it, to have such a low payload.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Well, you were close. Your payload capacity is only 990lbs.
So you can add 90lbs to the 234 number.
So is my truck capable of towing this without any issues?

So you are saying the payload is 990lbs.
payload = hitch + people on the truck?
hitch = 455
4 people = 400
Total 855lbs.

So I should be good right? I will only carry some snack in this truck. everything else will be stored in the trailer. sound good?
Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #39
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sadly, I had to knock the Tacoma off my tow vehicle wish list when I ordered my GeoPro, as I felt it would be too close to borderline overloaded, especially the tongue weight. Your GeoPro tongue weight will likely be over 600 lbs ready for travel.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Sadly, I had to knock the Tacoma off my tow vehicle wish list when I ordered my GeoPro, as I felt it would be too close to borderline overloaded, especially the tongue weight. Your GeoPro tongue weight will likely be over 600 lbs ready for travel.
I did alot of research before i purchased this geo pro 20bhs. I heard people says they can tow this with just a regular SUV.

I mean my truck should at least be better than a regular SUV right? with more power.

Tags
geo pro, newbie