Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
So is my truck capable of towing this without any issues?

So you are saying the payload is 990lbs.
payload = hitch + people on the truck?
hitch = 455
4 people = 400
Total 855lbs.

So I should be good right? I will only carry some snack in this truck. everything else will be stored in the trailer. sound good?
Are you not looking at the sticker we pointed out to you? I clearly told you exactly what your second pic states.
And I clearly stated that the website/brochure dry tongue weight number is fictional.
I don't mean to offend but it doesn't seem like you're reading our posts completely.
Putting stuff in the trailer will only increase the trailer's tongue weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you not looking at the sticker we pointed out to you? I clearly told you exactly what your second pic states.
And I clearly stated that the website/brochure dry tongue weight number is fictional.
I don't mean to offend but it doesn't seem like you're reading our posts completely.
i'm just confuse on this tongue weight and tow weight and hitch weight. For me all I think about is my car can tow a trailer 5500lbs. now this trailer is only 3500lbs. adding other stuff in i would give it another 1000+ or so. that will still let me have plenty of tow power right?

Is there anything I can add to my truck to resolve this? or do I just need to get a V8 truck?
Old 01-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #43

i guess i made a newbie mistake by not checking my tow capacity.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #44

We are in the same boat. I just bought a 19BH and I'm going to tow it with my 2011 MDX. I just had the factory tow package and 4 brand new tires installed. But from what I learned here, I still need brake controller and the tires are only 6 ply and it needs 10 ply . A lot of to learn. But if we go light and slow, our vehicles may be able to handle it.
Double Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
i guess i made a newbie mistake by not checking my tow capacity.
Your problem isn't towing capacity, it's the PAYLOAD capacity. Nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload WAY before reaching the max towing capacity. There are minivans with more payload than your Taco.
As I said, re-read our posts to educate yourself on the important factors to look at.
If you don't understand something, ask the questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Jay View Post
We are in the same boat. I just bought a 19BH and I'm going to tow it with my 2011 MDX. I just had the factory tow package and 4 brand new tires installed. But from what I learned here, I still need brake controller and the tires are only 6 ply and it needs 10 ply . A lot of to learn. But if we go light and slow, our vehicles may be able to handle it.
Not good.. so my payload capacity is maxing out..
Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm looking at your calculation and wonder how you came up with that number?

Are you saying that the Taco's payload capacity is 900lbs? If so, expect a loaded tongue weight of around 566lbs. Add 100lbs for the WDH, which is 666lbs. This leaves you 234lbs left over for everyone in the truck, truck add-ons(like bed cover/suspension enhancements) and truck cargo.

How did you calculate the tongue weight around 566lbs and 100lbs for the WDH? where did you get that number from? My payload capacity is 990lbs.

Thank you..
Old 01-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Both of you have fallen victim to the RV marketing scam of these smaller single axle trailers, that are aimed at those with smaller tow vehicles. That's why they are the hottest selling segment of RV sales.
They put a bunch of fancy features that modern customers want, that previous trailers of this size never had. This of course, makes them heavier, especially their loaded tongue weights.
But most newbies only focus on towing capacity numbers because that's what the auto industry brag about.
It's only been recently, mainly due to Ford, that that they are focusing on their full size trucks' payload capacities. Ford added the Heavy Duty Payload Package in their F150s and Ram/GM were quick to follow.
Unfortunately this hasn't trickled down to smaller vehicles.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
I'm looking at your calculation and wonder how you came up with that number?

Are you saying that the Taco's payload capacity is 900lbs? If so, expect a loaded tongue weight of around 566lbs. Add 100lbs for the WDH, which is 666lbs. This leaves you 234lbs left over for everyone in the truck, truck add-ons(like bed cover/suspension enhancements) and truck cargo.

How did you calculate the tongue weight around 566lbs and 100lbs for the WDH? where did you get that number from? My payload capacity is 990lbs.

Thank you..
Boomerweps told you this:
"Yes, that’s what he said. But, double check that. What is the Taco’s GVWR on the white door sticker and the yellow edged Load Capacity sticker. 900# load capacity seems low."
You posted a pic of this sticker but you apparently didn't read what it said, which I told you what to read:
"aboyz, forget those bogus websites/brochure numbers. As was said, you need to find the yellow/white driver's door sticker. It usually says "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". Your number is 990lbs.
In another post, I told you how I got the 566 number:
"Website/brochure dry weights are fictional numbers. Usually, 13% of the trailer's GVWR is a good ballpark loaded tongue weight, especially for single axle trailers."
Traditional WDHs weigh around 100lbs. That's why I mentioned the Andersen WDH because they are lighter.
By the way, I lived a number of years in Riverside and San Berdoo. Also Pomona and La Verne.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #50
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:

Lots of other threads about this, use the search function. My dealer almost got me, said the Toyota 4Runner I wanted to buy would be fine. Then I read everything on this forum and was like, oh crap, my hitch weight is going to be way higher than the 400-something lbs the brochure says! I've read of other people just saying the hell with it, and doing it anyway with midsized vehicles. But since I like taking junk with me camping, I knew I'd never be happy having to ride with minimum cargo. And I was very afraid of being under powered when I finally got to go out west, and hit real mountains. I saw a video of a guy with his 4Runner towing up a hill, happy it was going 50mph. I'm NOT going to be that guy, holding up traffic, can't get out of my own way. Heck, in NJ you get shot for that sort of stuff.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Lots of other threads about this, use the search function. My dealer almost got me, said the Toyota 4Runner I wanted to buy would be fine. Then I read everything on this forum and was like, oh crap, my hitch weight is going to be way higher than the 400-something lbs the brochure says! I've read of other people just saying the hell with it, and doing it anyway with midsized vehicles. But since I like taking junk with me camping, I knew I'd never be happy having to ride with minimum cargo. And I was very afraid of being under powered when I finally got to go out west, and hit real mountains. I saw a video of a guy with his 4Runner towing up a hill, happy it was going 50mph. I'm NOT going to be that guy, holding up traffic, can't get out of my own way. Heck, in NJ you get shot for that sort of stuff.
For the first 2 year I will only camping on flat land and 1-2 hour distance drive. I think this should be doable? all flat land no mountain. doable right? before I upgrade my truck to a tundra.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #52

Any towing tips for newbies? How to avoid swaying?
Double Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Any towing tips for newbies? How to avoid swaying?
jay,

get a hitch sway. that will prvent the swaying..
Old 01-21-2021, 11:14 PM   #54

ok guys..

talking doing more research online and posting in the tacoma forum. I think my truck is doable in towing this trailer. I just need to tow is slow and only run on flat land. and store all the stuff in the back of the trailer. keep everything light and I should be fine for the 2 year. then I"l upgrade to a tundra..

thank you all!!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:47 AM   #55

anyone own one of the geo pro 20bhs? if so can someone help me measure from the ground to the bottom coupler? I'm planning to get the anderson WDH but it come in two size 4" and 8". I need the correct measurement for purchase.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #56

Quote:
anyone own one of the geo pro 20bhs? if so can someone help me measure from the ground to the bottom coupler? I'm planning to get the anderson WDH but it come in two size 4" and 8". I need the correct measurement for purchase.

Thank you.
I asked the same question before, and the information i was given was 22" to the bottom of the coupler. I seem to recall that was pretty close to what ours was when we took delivery.

We've got a 2016 Tahoe, which has a pretty high hitch receiver. The 4" drop is what we use. Right now the ball is in the top mounting holes but I'm going to be dropping it 1 notch so the air suspension doesn't make the trailer nose-high.

The 4" should work fine for you but the Andersen info will tell you for sure!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
I asked the same question before, and the information i was given was 22" to the bottom of the coupler. I seem to recall that was pretty close to what ours was when we took delivery.

We've got a 2016 Tahoe, which has a pretty high hitch receiver. The 4" drop is what we use. Right now the ball is in the top mounting holes but I'm going to be dropping it 1 notch so the air suspension doesn't make the trailer nose-high.

The 4" should work fine for you but the Andersen info will tell you for sure!
wow 22" from the ground to the bottom of the trailer couper? hummm. that is higher then my tacoma 2020. i measured from the ground to the top of the hitch i'm only getting 19 1/2in. let me plug in those number and see which one I should get.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Hi,

I just purchased a geo pro 20bhs and it will be delivery mid feb. My question is since this is my first trailer, what accessories do I need to buy?

I'm getting the following from the dealer:
2 new 12v batteries
full propane
RV starter kit has:
sewer hose
fresh water hose
1 roll of TP
rubber gloves
30 amp to 100v adapter
chemicals for the toiler
Everything tested inside and out, detailed inside and out. do a walk thru for final inspection.

This is what i'm getting so far.
hitch lock
equalizer e4 sway
haloview backup camera
extended Mirror.
trailer leveler

Anything else i'm missing? or need to prepare for? before I go tow the trailer back home? I need to also get insurance right?

Thank you
OK a couple other items.
Ax / hatchet
dish strainer
RV toilet paper
flashlights / extra batteries
Spare rope / tent stakes
Extra tarp, cover firewood anything that may be rained on if weather goes bad.
Automatic self igniting propane torch head, found at all your hardware stores or big box lumber yards, great for starting camp fires.

Now let's get to the serious part, when doing your final paperwork and walk thru plan on taking a couple of hours, bring a note pad and posti notes. While doing your walk thru don't be afraid to take your time and look at every door, drawer, compartment absolutely everything and for god sake do not be afraid to climb up on the roof (if age and health allows to do this safely). Mark issues with posts notes as well as make notes. This is the next important part to this, do not, I repeat do not sign any papers until all issues are addressed. They will promise you the world to get you to sign, it is on your side and gives you the leverage to make the unit 100% before you sign.

Good luck and enjoy
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Thank you.. will get two chocks. one for each tire.
Get 4, 2 for each tire, front and back, not all camp sites are level. And coming from experience do not unhook your trailer until all 4 chocks are in place, pretty much the first thing to do when you get your trailer in it's final spot.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
OK a couple other items.
Ax / hatchet
dish strainer
RV toilet paper
flashlights / extra batteries
Spare rope / tent stakes
Extra tarp, cover firewood anything that may be rained on if weather goes bad.
Automatic self igniting propane torch head, found at all your hardware stores or big box lumber yards, great for starting camp fires.

Now let's get to the serious part, when doing your final paperwork and walk thru plan on taking a couple of hours, bring a note pad and posti notes. While doing your walk thru don't be afraid to take your time and look at every door, drawer, compartment absolutely everything and for god sake do not be afraid to climb up on the roof (if age and health allows to do this safely). Mark issues with posts notes as well as make notes. This is the next important part to this, do not, I repeat do not sign any papers until all issues are addressed. They will promise you the world to get you to sign, it is on your side and gives you the leverage to make the unit 100% before you sign.

Good luck and enjoy
Thank you for the comments. So during the walk through, make sure everything works right? Do you know what things to check for? like I mean the water leak? what is the most important thing to check for? I mean if there is some scratch here and there I don't mine. Anyone got a list of of stuff to check for?

thank you

Tags
geo pro, newbie