RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Buying a Geo Pro 20BHS Newbie.

Hi,

I just purchased a geo pro 20bhs and it will be delivery mid feb. My question is since this is my first trailer, what accessories do I need to buy?

I'm getting the following from the dealer:
2 new 12v batteries
full propane
RV starter kit has:
sewer hose
fresh water hose
1 roll of TP
rubber gloves
30 amp to 100v adapter
chemicals for the toiler
Everything tested inside and out, detailed inside and out. do a walk thru for final inspection.

This is what i'm getting so far.
hitch lock
equalizer e4 sway
haloview backup camera
extended Mirror.
trailer leveler

Anything else i'm missing? or need to prepare for? before I go tow the trailer back home? I need to also get insurance right?

Thank you
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,675
Chocks? A level to make certain that the refrigerator is level.

And yes, you do need insurance.

You might want to try 'driveway camping' to find get some experience before you take it on the road.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 42
Congrats on your new trailer. We got ours in November and was able to get it out twice before putting it away for the winter.

We had a lot of the same questions as you, and you've got the basics. I would also add:
  • surge protector
  • external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
  • 50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
  • separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
  • bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
  • water pressure regulator
  • we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
  • i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
  • sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
  • cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
  • leveling blocks to go under the front and stabilizer jacks. can also use to level the trailer side-to-side. There are also the drive on levelers from Andersen or Beech Lane
We have really enjoyed our 20BHS and I'm sure you will as well! There's more storage than you think in it, and there's more under the dinette seats as well that they don't offer easy access to. We removed the screw that was holding the plywood down on the seat base on both sides and put velcro on the corners. We are able to get 2 medium size bins on one side (with the drawer) and we can put some smaller items on the other because it's not as deep.

To comment and what Reverse_snowbird said about the level, you may not need to be dead-on level if you get the 12V fridge the Geo Pro's come with now. I have seen other posts that have said their trailer came with a single source 110V fridge (no propane source) instead of the 12V one.
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2016 Tahoe LT w/Max Trailering Package
KE0OUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Chocks? A level to make certain that the refrigerator is level.

And yes, you do need insurance.

You might want to try 'driveway camping' to find get some experience before you take it on the road.
Thank you.. will get two chocks. one for each tire.
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
Congrats on your new trailer. We got ours in November and was able to get it out twice before putting it away for the winter.

We had a lot of the same questions as you, and you've got the basics. I would also add:
  • surge protector
  • external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
  • 50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
  • separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
  • bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
  • water pressure regulator
  • we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
  • i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
  • sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
  • cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
  • leveling blocks to go under the front and stabilizer jacks. can also use to level the trailer side-to-side. There are also the drive on levelers from Andersen or Beech Lane
We have really enjoyed our 20BHS and I'm sure you will as well! There's more storage than you think in it, and there's more under the dinette seats as well that they don't offer easy access to. We removed the screw that was holding the plywood down on the seat base on both sides and put velcro on the corners. We are able to get 2 medium size bins on one side (with the drawer) and we can put some smaller items on the other because it's not as deep.

To comment and what Reverse_snowbird said about the level, you may not need to be dead-on level if you get the 12V fridge the Geo Pro's come with now. I have seen other posts that have said their trailer came with a single source 110V fridge (no propane source) instead of the 12V one.
Wow!!. First off thank you so much for giving me this info from someone who actually brought this same trailer. I have been doing alot of research and this one fit the budget and got all the stuff I was looking for.

For the fridge. are you saying by default it come with the 12V fridge? How would I know if it come with that or something else? I didn't even know that the fridge needed to be level in order to use it.

Is there a place where people actually listed all the items to purchase through amazon? I would prefer making all my purchase through amazon. I mean I could just key in the keyword but what brand or make is good and what product most people are using? I don't know if there is a thread that list all the accessories items needed for a new trailer owners and link to purchase it. I guess i'll do more reserach first before purchasing anything. I don't want to buy cheap stuff that I will regret. I would rather purchase the best one out there.

Thank you again.
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
Congrats on your new trailer. We got ours in November and was able to get it out twice before putting it away for the winter.

We had a lot of the same questions as you, and you've got the basics. I would also add:
  • surge protector
  • external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
  • 50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
  • separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
  • bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
  • water pressure regulator
  • we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
  • i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
  • sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
  • cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
  • leveling blocks to go under the front and stabilizer jacks. can also use to level the trailer side-to-side. There are also the drive on levelers from Andersen or Beech Lane
We have really enjoyed our 20BHS and I'm sure you will as well! There's more storage than you think in it, and there's more under the dinette seats as well that they don't offer easy access to. We removed the screw that was holding the plywood down on the seat base on both sides and put velcro on the corners. We are able to get 2 medium size bins on one side (with the drawer) and we can put some smaller items on the other because it's not as deep.

To comment and what Reverse_snowbird said about the level, you may not need to be dead-on level if you get the 12V fridge the Geo Pro's come with now. I have seen other posts that have said their trailer came with a single source 110V fridge (no propane source) instead of the 12V one.
Ok. Just did some research on your recommendation and I came up with the following stuff to order. Can you please check and make sure the stuff i'm ordering is correct. Thank you again. Hopefully someone see this thread will also purchase the same without having to do so much research .

surge protector - Any surge protector will do right?

external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...1159952&sr=8-8

50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Pr...s%2C193&sr=8-7

separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Ta...s%2C193&sr=8-9

bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
For the bins I guess any bins will do right? do you got any preference?

water pressure regulator
https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...1160516&sr=8-6

we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-...s%2C232&sr=8-5

i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...s%2C208&sr=8-6

sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Feet-43...s%2C198&sr=8-5

cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P235-Li...160804&sr=8-32

leveling blocks to go under the front
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...s%2C208&sr=8-5

Chocks
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44414-W...=thedrive09-20

stabilizer jacks - Do I need 2 pack or 4 pack?
https://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-Stab...e%2C199&sr=1-7
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Wow!!. First off thank you so much for giving me this info from someone who actually brought this same trailer. I have been doing alot of research and this one fit the budget and got all the stuff I was looking for.

For the fridge. are you saying by default it come with the 12V fridge? How would I know if it come with that or something else? I didn't even know that the fridge needed to be level in order to use it.

Is there a place where people actually listed all the items to purchase through amazon? I would prefer making all my purchase through amazon. I mean I could just key in the keyword but what brand or make is good and what product most people are using? I don't know if there is a thread that list all the accessories items needed for a new trailer owners and link to purchase it. I guess i'll do more reserach first before purchasing anything. I don't want to buy cheap stuff that I will regret. I would rather purchase the best one out there.

Thank you again.

The 2021.5 (or whatever they are calling them) Geo Pro/E-Pro is supposed to come with a 12V fridge. They also come with a 190W solar panel on the roof. Forest River's site still shows 100W solar panel and electric/propane fridge. The fridges that can operate off of propane have to be totally level to get the best cooling performance due to how they cool. The updated exterior panels don't have the fridge cooling vents in them, so they don't offer propane as an option. The 12V or 110V fridge can operate fine if they aren't totally level, but you should still level the trailer as best you can!
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2016 Tahoe LT w/Max Trailering Package
KE0OUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Ok. Just did some research on your recommendation and I came up with the following stuff to order. Can you please check and make sure the stuff i'm ordering is correct. Thank you again. Hopefully someone see this thread will also purchase the same without having to do so much research .

surge protector - Any surge protector will do right?

external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...1159952&sr=8-8

50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Pr...s%2C193&sr=8-7

separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Ta...s%2C193&sr=8-9

bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
For the bins I guess any bins will do right? do you got any preference?

water pressure regulator
https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...1160516&sr=8-6

we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-...s%2C232&sr=8-5

i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...s%2C208&sr=8-6

sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Feet-43...s%2C198&sr=8-5

cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P235-Li...160804&sr=8-32

leveling blocks to go under the front
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...s%2C208&sr=8-5

Chocks
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44414-W...=thedrive09-20

stabilizer jacks - Do I need 2 pack or 4 pack?
https://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-Stab...e%2C199&sr=1-7
First, don’t pay Camco prices if you can get it cheaper.

Water filter - Ok choice to start
Potable water hose - good, but you have one in your intro pack.
Sewer flush/general purpose hose - NO. White is usually to identify a potable water hose. Get a green or brown one. No mixups.
Bins to fit best in your storage area, biggest consideration.
Water pressure regulator- great choice. There is an inline, set pressure unit for under $10 at WalMart, also on Amazon.
90 degree elbow for city water inlet - great choice
Rhino flex sewer hose - great choice about 50% thicker plastic. But you can camp first with your intro pack one. Extra length comes in handy.
Sewer hose support - buy it later. WalMart has them if you need one at the last minute.
Any cheap cordless drill will work. Bought one for $20, single battery, at Harbor Freight. Camco has the socket on a stem for your manual stabilizers for $5 or a tiny more on Amazon.
Leveling blocks - I prefer the Lynx brand ones, interlocking, can get flat caps for them (great when you only need one layer to hold them together) AND lock in wheel chocks.
Wheel chocks - The plastic ones (I have several) work great on rough surfaces but slide on plastic leveling blocks.
Stabilizers - most trailers come with them installed.
Additionally, I always have numerous wood blocks cut from 2x6, 2x8, and/or 2x10s. I use these under the stabilizer feet, tongue jack, and if needed, stacked under those and the steps (mine rest on the ground). You can also use them under the plastic levelers when they sink into soft ground with their open design.
Last, surge suppressors. First, you need it for 30 amp TT plugs. Second, low voltage is more a problem than surges, that they do not protect from. You can camp without one, I did first season with TT. I bought and installed an EMS. Plug in models are also available. Electrical Management System. Monitors and shuts off power for hi/low voltage, hi/low frequency, reversed polarity, no ground, high amps. Digital display of any error code and voltage, frequency, amperage. A bit above $200. Low voltage can burn out control circuits on AirCon, fridge, furnace, etc.
Whew! That was a lot
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

I just purchased a geo pro 20bhs and it will be delivery mid feb. My question is since this is my first trailer, what accessories do I need to buy?

I'm getting the following from the dealer:
2 new 12v batteries
full propane
RV starter kit has:
sewer hose
fresh water hose
1 roll of TP
rubber gloves
30 amp to 100v adapter
chemicals for the toiler
Everything tested inside and out, detailed inside and out. do a walk thru for final inspection.

This is what i'm getting so far.
hitch lock
equalizer e4 sway
haloview backup camera
extended Mirror.
trailer leveler

Anything else i'm missing? or need to prepare for? before I go tow the trailer back home? I need to also get insurance right?

Thank you
TWO batteries? Cool.
30amp to 100volt adapter? Confusing terms, likely a 30TT (travel trailer, has its own NEMA designation) jack to a standard 15/20 amp household plug pigtail. Very good. You may find a 50 amp plug to 30 amp adapter handy as the 30 outlet at RV sites gets the most abuse.
You don’t mention the power cable supplied, usually a 25’ 30 amp TT. You may want an extension cable for that eventually. Sometimes you just need more. They are 10 gage cable.
ONE roll of RV TP? WalMart RV section.
BOX of rubber gloves for sewer connecting.
Backup camera. Nice but not needed right away, unless part of your purchase. Clear, KIND, communication with a spotter is critical. Remember GOAL - Get Out And LOOK, both sides and above. Left and right are often confusing. Take a clue from rock crawlers. Passenger and driver are better references. If you can’t see the spotter, you are a danger to them.
Mirrors - have to be able to see straight down the sides of the trailer. Lots of options.

Driveway camping is a good initial test. Next should be at a full hookup site at a nearby campground to fully test things. But close enough to go to familiar stores or home for forgotten things.
Remember, it’s supposed to be fun, not work, or a penance
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
First, donít pay Camco prices if you can get it cheaper.

Water filter - Ok choice to start
Potable water hose - good, but you have one in your intro pack.
Sewer flush/general purpose hose - NO. White is usually to identify a potable water hose. Get a green or brown one. No mixups.
Bins to fit best in your storage area, biggest consideration.
Water pressure regulator- great choice. There is an inline, set pressure unit for under $10 at WalMart, also on Amazon.
90 degree elbow for city water inlet - great choice
Rhino flex sewer hose - great choice about 50% thicker plastic. But you can camp first with your intro pack one.
Sewer hose support - buy it later. WalMart has them if you need one at the last minute.
Any cheap cordless drill will work. Bought one for $20, single battery, at Harbor Freight. Camco has the socket on a stem for your manual stabilizers for $5 or a tiny more on Amazon.
Leveling blocks - I prefer the Lynx brand ones, interlocking, can get flat caps for them (great when you only need one layer to hold them together) AND lock in wheel chocks.
Wheel chocks - The plastic ones (I have several) work great on rough surfaces but slide on plastic leveling blocks.
Stabilizers - most trailers come with them installed.
Additionally, I always have numerous wood blocks cut from 2x6, 2x8, and/or 2x10s. I use these under the stabilizer feet, tongue jack, and if needed, stacked under those and the steps (mine rest on the ground). You can also use them under the plastic levelers when they sink into soft ground with their open design.
Last, surge suppressors. First, you need it for 30 amp TT plugs. Second, low voltage is more a problem than surges, that they do not protect from. You can camp without one, I did first season with TT. I bought and installed an EMS. Plug in models are also available. Electrical Management System. Monitors and shuts off power for hi/low voltage, hi/low frequency, reversed polarity, no ground, high amps. Digital display of any error code and voltage, frequency, amperage. A bit above $200. Low voltage can burn out control circuits on AirCon, fridge, furnace, etc.
Whew! That was a lot
wow!! that was alot of information. First off. thank you again for all the great info.

Lets start off with the surge suppressors. Can you link me to one that is slighly above $200. Is something like this will work?
https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...1165808&sr=8-8

Leveling blocks.
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...=offersblog-20

Wood blocks. How many piece do I need for each?
2x6, 2x8 and 2x10?
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Ok. Just did some research on your recommendation and I came up with the following stuff to order. Can you please check and make sure the stuff i'm ordering is correct. Thank you again. Hopefully someone see this thread will also purchase the same without having to do so much research .

surge protector - Any surge protector will do right?

external water filter; even though there's one inside, the filter housings are known to crack or leak
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-TastePU...1159952&sr=8-8

50' Zero-G hose for drinking water (if you can find them)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Pr...s%2C193&sr=8-7

separate hose for connecting to the black tank flush; be sure to make sure it is either marked well or looks totally different than the fresh water hose!
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-50ft-Ta...s%2C193&sr=8-9

bins to store your hoses, electric, tools, etc.
For the bins I guess any bins will do right? do you got any preference?

water pressure regulator
https://www.amazon.com/Renator-M11-0...1160516&sr=8-6

we got a 90-degree elbow to hook to the city water inlet; it helps alleviate a lot of downward pressure a hose can put on that connection.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Degree-...s%2C232&sr=8-5

i would seriously look at getting a rhinoflex sewer hose with the clear elbow
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFL...s%2C208&sr=8-6

sewer hose support; some campgrounds require the sewer hose to be off the ground
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Feet-43...s%2C198&sr=8-5

cordless drill or impact driver with 3/4" socket for getting the stabilizing legs up and down quicker
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P235-Li...160804&sr=8-32

leveling blocks to go under the front
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...s%2C208&sr=8-5

Chocks
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44414-W...=thedrive09-20

stabilizer jacks - Do I need 2 pack or 4 pack?
https://www.amazon.com/Eaz-Lift-Stab...e%2C199&sr=1-7
  • Surge protector: You'll need a 30 amp unit. We went with the Hughes Autoformer PWD30-EPO, but they do have a less expensive option. There are a lot of good options for a surge protector so do your research and go with the one you feel the most comfortable with!
  • Water filter: what you found on Amazon is what we got. We actually got it cheaper at Walmart!
  • The water hose you linked to will work, but the beauty of the ZeroG hose is that it collapses down into a much smaller and ligher "package" than the vinyl or rubber hoses. Here's a link to one. We actually got 2 of them so we can have the black tank flush hooked up at the same time.
  • Bins: we got 4 10-gallon Hefty totes from Lowe's. We can stack them 2 high in the front pass-thru storage. Slide them in longways and you can turn them 90-degrees and you can have several rows of them. We will probably get more of these so we can put the griddle and shelf in instead of staying in the cardboard box they came in! You'll find you'll need totes in differing sizes for the things you want to store and how you want to store them.
  • Water pressure regulator: We got this one. Some people like to be able to see the actual pressure and also adjust it. I can see the benefit, but didn't see a need to spend the extra $20 for an adjustable one.
  • 90-degree elbow. That's the one we got!
  • Sewer hose: That's the right one. We will probably get an extension kit just so we have enough distance. I'd rather have more hose when it comes to emptying the black tank!
  • Hose support: You picked a good option. Again, might think about a 15 or 20 foot kit to make sure the hose has enough support. The tank drain is pretty high on this trailer and I've had to use the leveling blocks to make sure the hose was supported near the drain.
  • Cordless drill/impact driver: what you chose will work. Doesn't have to be fancy, but be aware the one you linked to is just the driver, you'll need to buy the battery separately. I would also add the scissor jack adapter as well. It goes in the impact driver and can raise or lower the stabilizer jacks pretty quick!
  • Leveling blocks: we got 2 sets of these and we have been glad we did! I plan on using this to do the side-to-side leveling this year (along with the LevelMate Pro), and then using the leveling blocks under the tongue jack and stabilizer jacks.
  • Chocks: i would not recommend using those chocks. Find some chunky rubber ones. We got 2 pairs of these and they've been pretty good. If you do go with the leveler i linked to above, you will only need to use 1 pair, but it won't hurt to have 2 sets of chocks!
  • Stabilizer jacks: you don't need to buy these, they are installed on the trailer frame from the factory. There is one on each corner.
I would also add that an outdoor rug or carpet is also recommended. These go along the camp side of the trailer and can help keep things out of the camper, control dirt, rocks, etc. They also can add some personality to the campsite! Not sure if this search link works, but give it a shot!: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+outdoo...ss_ts-a-p_2_10

It's a learning process and it can take a bit of time to find what works best for you and how you like to camp. The stuff I recommended is what we have started with, and many of those are from what other people have recommended based on their experiences. Over time, you may find things that work better for you and then you can recommend those to people who are just starting.

This forum is full of very knowledgeable, helpful people who are happy to offer help or advice!
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2016 Tahoe LT w/Max Trailering Package
KE0OUA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE0OUA View Post
  • Surge protector: You'll need a 30 amp unit. We went with the Hughes Autoformer PWD30-EPO, but they do have a less expensive option. There are a lot of good options for a surge protector so do your research and go with the one you feel the most comfortable with!
  • Water filter: what you found on Amazon is what we got. We actually got it cheaper at Walmart!
  • The water hose you linked to will work, but the beauty of the ZeroG hose is that it collapses down into a much smaller and ligher "package" than the vinyl or rubber hoses. Here's a link to one. We actually got 2 of them so we can have the black tank flush hooked up at the same time.
  • Bins: we got 4 10-gallon Hefty totes from Lowe's. We can stack them 2 high in the front pass-thru storage. Slide them in longways and you can turn them 90-degrees and you can have several rows of them. We will probably get more of these so we can put the griddle and shelf in instead of staying in the cardboard box they came in! You'll find you'll need totes in differing sizes for the things you want to store and how you want to store them.
  • Water pressure regulator: We got this one. Some people like to be able to see the actual pressure and also adjust it. I can see the benefit, but didn't see a need to spend the extra $20 for an adjustable one.
  • 90-degree elbow. That's the one we got!
  • Sewer hose: That's the right one. We will probably get an extension kit just so we have enough distance. I'd rather have more hose when it comes to emptying the black tank!
  • Hose support: You picked a good option. Again, might think about a 15 or 20 foot kit to make sure the hose has enough support. The tank drain is pretty high on this trailer and I've had to use the leveling blocks to make sure the hose was supported near the drain.
  • Cordless drill/impact driver: what you chose will work. Doesn't have to be fancy, but be aware the one you linked to is just the driver, you'll need to buy the battery separately. I would also add the scissor jack adapter as well. It goes in the impact driver and can raise or lower the stabilizer jacks pretty quick!
  • Leveling blocks: we got 2 sets of these and we have been glad we did! I plan on using this to do the side-to-side leveling this year (along with the LevelMate Pro), and then using the leveling blocks under the tongue jack and stabilizer jacks.
  • Chocks: i would not recommend using those chocks. Find some chunky rubber ones. We got 2 pairs of these and they've been pretty good. If you do go with the leveler i linked to above, you will only need to use 1 pair, but it won't hurt to have 2 sets of chocks!
  • Stabilizer jacks: you don't need to buy these, they are installed on the trailer frame from the factory. There is one on each corner.
I would also add that an outdoor rug or carpet is also recommended. These go along the camp side of the trailer and can help keep things out of the camper, control dirt, rocks, etc. They also can add some personality to the campsite! Not sure if this search link works, but give it a shot!: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+outdoo...ss_ts-a-p_2_10

It's a learning process and it can take a bit of time to find what works best for you and how you like to camp. The stuff I recommended is what we have started with, and many of those are from what other people have recommended based on their experiences. Over time, you may find things that work better for you and then you can recommend those to people who are just starting.

This forum is full of very knowledgeable, helpful people who are happy to offer help or advice!
Thank you again for this great info!! really appreicate your help.. Now I feel better of what is needed to prepare myself for my first camping trip.

Now I got all the accessories I needed now the only concern for me is:
1. Do I fill up the water tank before I go? I guess it depend on the site I'm camping right? if they have water for me I'll just fill it up there right?
2. After camping is finish I know there is a dumping station where you dump your waste (i guess they call it the black bin)? So my question is this is my first time. do I just google how to dump black bin after camping on youtube? that will show me excatly how to connect the hose and dump everything out? After dumping all the smelly stuff out. The black bin. do I go home and clean it and wash it out? or do I do that at the camp site?

What is the correct way to clean out the smelly stuff
I feel I got alot of information needed to have a great camping experience..
thank you again.
__________________
2021 Geo Pro 20BHS
2020 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4
aboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
wow!! that was alot of information. First off. thank you again for all the great info.

Lets start off with the surge suppressors. Can you link me to one that is slighly above $200. Is something like this will work?
https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...1165808&sr=8-8

Leveling blocks.
https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...=offersblog-20

Wood blocks. How many piece do I need for each?
2x6, 2x8 and 2x10?
Progressive Industries EMS30. Mine is the HW version. The one you linked doesnít have the under/over voltage/frequency protection.
Those are the levelers. Did you note the related product, the chocks and caps. Price on WalMart.com, sometimes cheaper than Amazon for the same RV product.
Width of wood blocks is your option. If not using pre owned scrap wood, Iíd buy 2x8, or 2x10 & cut them about 8-10Ē long, using up the whole board defines the length for me. I use them to prevent the items from digging into the ground and to have extra height. I even have 4x4 blocks stacked 2 per layer for faster stacking. Half or more are screwed together pairs. I usually use a few stacks under the tongue jack to cut down the cranking. My newer electric jack has an adjustable foot, but previously I used 3 levels of 4x4s under the manual tongue jack. For starters figure a couple layers of blocks under each stabilizer and jack. Other than storage, Iíve never had too many. Also double as a quick choke or you can always burn the extra
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hills of Northwestern PA
Posts: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Thank you again for this great info!! really appreicate your help.. Now I feel better of what is needed to prepare myself for my first camping trip.

Now I got all the accessories I needed now the only concern for me is:
1. Do I fill up the water tank before I go? I guess it depend on the site I'm camping right? if they have water for me I'll just fill it up there right?
2. After camping is finish I know there is a dumping station where you dump your waste (i guess they call it the black bin)? So my question is this is my first time. do I just google how to dump black bin after camping on youtube? that will show me excatly how to connect the hose and dump everything out? After dumping all the smelly stuff out. The black bin. do I go home and clean it and wash it out? or do I do that at the camp site?

What is the correct way to clean out the smelly stuff
I feel I got alot of information needed to have a great camping experience..
thank you again.
Before I start, trailer brake controller?

Water weighs A LOT. Some for the trip if it’s long and you want to use your TT potty. You can use it like ballast for more tongue weight, if needed, as FW tanks are often in front of the axle.

Hopefully, you get a full hookup Campsite (FHU - UP). Then you can take your time and cleanup if needed with your own water.
Lots of great Utube videos on setting up and tearing down. Setup - level side to side on the wheels, chock, and test steps before disconnecting. My steps are hinged at the bottom of the door and set on the ground, can interfere with the door. Then electrical, clean water, last black water hookups. Might sure all your cables and hoses reach BEFORE disconnecting from truck. THEN disconnect, level end to end, lower the stabilizers.
Tearing down FHU, sewer, FW, (dry hands), electrical.
I.e., Set Up, electric, clean hands, possibly dirty hands. Tear down, dirty, clean, then dry, electric.
You can use your “dirty hose” to flush out the toilet or tank if you have a flush fitting. Dump the black tank first. Flush with hose or even just toilet flush valve. I dump the tank, shut the valve, dump more water in, dump again. After the black tank, dump the gray tank (sink, shower water) to rinse the literal crap out of the sewer hose. Then after you disconnect that you can run more water using you “dirty” hose through the sewer hose.
Note: a basic one into two faucet hose splitter is handy to connect the extra hose.
Yup, utube is your friend.
You will NEVER get your black tank factory fresh. You get the worst out till you see no more floaties, hence the clear elbow recommendation. The tablets are to help cover smells and break down the Klingons in the tank. They are useless without water. Many recommend traveling with a little water in the black tank to use the tablets after dumping or when using the so called BIO tank cleaning mix for some sloshing action during travel.
If you have to use a dump station, you need to plan ahead and be organized cause everybody is waiting. There’s always some jerk trying to surgically clean his black tank. Ain’t gonna happen!
RVing is the place everyone talks S**T.
__________________
2019 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS flipped axle
2019 Ford F-150 S-Crew 5.5 bed V8 w/tow package, TBC, Tow Mirrors, 3.55, 7000# GVWR, 1990#CC
Husky Centerline TS WDH 400-600# spring bars
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
mike.t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Western AZ
Posts: 2,392
Don't fret too much on "totally level" regarding the fridge, you'll ruin your camping fun. It should work just fine. (As long as you are not parked on the side of a mountain;o)
__________________
2018 Wilderness 2450FB
2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax 10 speed
2021 Chevy Traverse LT
2012 Dodge Challenger
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Hantsport, Nova Scotia
Posts: 73
In the event it wasn't mentioned, take a wheel wrench and jack. Most new trailers don't have them. Have fun

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 15
As you are new with camper. Never use home toilet paper as it will stick to the small lever to tell you what your black water level is at. It will give you the wrong information.
One writer mention about clear elbow for sewer drain, this is great if your unit have a black wash connection. If so, when you have the water hose connected to the black flush and see the waste going thru and see the clear water, DON'T STOP there, just keep the water on because it will fill up the tank again and surprised more black water will come out.

Happy camping and enjoying it. You will learn more as you go.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 664
How much boondocking do you plan on doing? You might want to ask exactly which make/model of batteries the dealer will be supplying. If you are going to do lots of boondocking, you might want to upgrade them.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,025
Supplies

Add Lynx blocks,Happy Camper and water pressure regulator. They make regulators in 45 PSI and 55 PSI, prefer the 55.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 664
For the water pressure regulator there are two types; real pressure regulators (which are usually adjustable), and flow reducers. You want to get the real pressure regulator, not the flow reducer and the real pressure regulators all pretty much look the same:

https://www.amazon.com/Esright-Press.../dp/B081T2V17Y
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
geo pro, newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.