Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Calgon water softner

What amount of calgon softner(powder) are you's using in each holding tank? Thanks
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

I use the liquid Calgon, one capful in the black tank and a gallon or so of water AFTER you dump the tank, or at home BEFORE traveling to the campground. That way, it gets sloshed around in there and provides a slick coating to the insides of the tank. I would mix that powder with water in a bucket first, then dump it in the tank. I've always used the liquid style, so I'm not sure of how much powder to use each time. On the box, it should indicate how much to add to a load of clothing in the washer, I would add that amount, or if your holding tank is rather large, 50 gallons or more, maybe double that amount. Just guessing though, so try experimenting yourself. ANY Calgon is far better than none!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Member

What's the purpose of the Calgon treatment for the tanks? I'm guessing from your notes, some sort of lubricant for the tank walls?

CZ
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

calgon

And if you use calgon ..should you also be using the blue stuff that keeps odor down and helps to break up the waste ???
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
What amount of calgon softner(powder) are you's using in each holding tank? Thanks
For whatever reason, the liquid version cannot be found around here (Ontario). Even the powder version is difficult to find - Loblaws stores and the likes (Great Canadian Superstore for example) carry it.

I use 1 cup (more or less) mixed with warm water and to dissolve it, then pour this down in my toilet along with 1-2 gallon of water, after I dump and before I head back home. I also do the same with a cup or so of clothes detergent, no particular brand, just the cheapest. I'll park my trailer for up to 3 weeks sometimes, and foorget about it. Camped on a dozen occasions last year, same ritual, no problems, no odors and decent readings on the displays.

I have never used any anything else, no chemicals, nothing.

If you do a search you will find many discussions on this chemical free method - keep in mind though that Calgon is 'some' chemical...

Good luck,
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
And if you use calgon ..should you also be using the blue stuff that keeps odor down and helps to break up the waste ???
I think the chemical's job is to control odors mostly.

As what we have are 'holding tanks' and not septic tanks, there is no need to break down the waste, you only need to evacuate the stuff when full.

As mentionned on the previous post, I have never used the blue stuff: I use Calgon and some detergent, that's it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
What's the purpose of the Calgon treatment for the tanks? I'm guessing from your notes, some sort of lubricant for the tank walls?

CZ
From what I have read in the past, Calgon is used by people in their Black tank to help keep the sides lubricated so the "stuff" doesn't stick to the inside of the tank. Its part of the Geo Method. I don't know why its called the Geo Method.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #8

I've been using a capful of the liquid style Calgon fot 3 years now, and never need the blue stuff or any other deodorizers. I have never noticed any foul odors, except maybe when the tank is very full, and you open the flap.
The purpose of the Calgon is that it acts as a water treatment to put a slick coating on the inside walls of the tank, so that nothing wants to stick to the plastic walls of the tank, thereby producing foul odors and an incomplete dump when empying the tank.
If anyone is familiar with "soft water", as we here in Florida are all too familiar with,(we have a lot of minerals mostly lime in our wellwater) a Water softener machine treats the incoming water into the house to give you the feeling that the soap won't rinse off completely. To shorten the story, that is precisely what Calgon does to the inside of the tank, and why it helps the RV'er. I personally do not have a tank rinser either, never felt I needed one. Hope this helps clear up the Calgon mystery! Randy
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
For whatever reason, the liquid version cannot be found around here (Ontario). Even the powder version is difficult to find - Loblaws stores and the likes (Great Canadian Superstore for example) carry it.

I use 1 cup (more or less) mixed with warm water and to dissolve it, then pour this down in my toilet along with 1-2 gallon of water, after I dump and before I head back home. I also do the same with a cup or so of clothes detergent, no particular brand, just the cheapest. I'll park my trailer for up to 3 weeks sometimes, and foorget about it. Camped on a dozen occasions last year, same ritual, no problems, no odors and decent readings on the displays.

I have never used any anything else, no chemicals, nothing.

If you do a search you will find many discussions on this chemical free method - keep in mind though that Calgon is 'some' chemical...

Good luck,
I saw some at Walmart.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

I just purchased 3 at my local walmart.

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #11

If you use the powdered Calgon just be sure to mix it well before poring it in your tank. I have noticed a couple times when I was less than diligent about mixing it in the pail that it left some crystal residue on the bottom of the pail.

Norm

Capn Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #12

Has anyone ever seen the liquid version of Calgon in Ontario?

If so where ?

The powder version is available at some Loblaws (not all) and at Walmart too now it seems - will check it out. $8 a box at Loblaws.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Was it the powder version you found in Walmart? Or liquid? What department did you find it in??

Roger & Dawn M.
2011 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8315BSS
2004 Ford Excursion
Nights camped in 2011: 27
Nights camped in 2012: 34
Look'in To Ecapé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #14

We too use one capful of the liquid from Walmart, haven't seen the powder. We also use a cup of detergent. Only thing we have ever used in our new HTT but did use the blue and other chemicals in previous campers and much prefer this way.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #15

Roger and Dawn, it's found in the same area as washing machine detergents and spray stain lifters, CLR, Soft Scrub, etc. At least that is where it is at my local Wal Mart. Some people purchase it online, as well, because sometimes it isn't available in their area. Randy
Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Nope!
The point of the Calgon is that because it helps the tank to empty more thoroughly you do not have the rotting sewage odor problem.

The tank additives are expensive, smell awful, and some are quite bad for the environment.

We have no tank odor and have used the Calgon for almost a year.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #17

We have also only used the Geo Method in our TT for the last year. Never have a smell issue and tanks clean pretty quickly. I have a clear 45 deg adapter I place on the dump pipe before the sewer hose so I can see when it is cleaned. I am probably most anal about tank cleaning (no pun intended!). I have never used a chemical in our tank and have no plans to. When we find Calgon, we buy every bit we can and store it! We also add liquid laundry detergent (a cap full to a cup). Nothing special, just whatever we are using for the cloths.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
(Kim)

Do you let it sit in the tank between trips?
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Do you let it sit in the tank between trips?
I empty my tanks, flush until visibly clean (then let it run for a while longer). I close everything up, put my Calgon and laundry detergent in, add about a gallon or so of water and then leave it until I flush next. I usually put some Calgon in the Gray tank every few trips as well and let that sit also.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote