Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
KnP

Camping in the Winter

Finaly on a leap of faith we took our 2306 to Frisco CO. The photo is on Aurora. The night we arrived it was on the 20sF so we stoped for the night, next morning was -5. I left the Propane Heater at -61 and a 1500W electric space heater at full blast. The propane heater kicked in several times but the Murphy Bed is warm enough with the heated matress. We Dry Camped at Aurora and we got to Frisco. The towing vehicle is a 2016 Chevy Colorado V6, the truck did just fine. We also bought another 1500W electric space heater. Turned out that you can run 2 if one is pluged at the bathroom and one by the door outlet. Inside is 70F and outside on the low 20s. The Propane heater is set to 61F as a just in case. The Camp Site has showers, Hot Tub and many other things. As is right now, we are Dry Camping and use the poty for liquids and use winter anit-freeze to flush it.

The only gripe is, in the pocket where the Murphy Bed stores, frost like to settle in. I keep wipping and drying that spot. Open the top vent to keep moisture down, will see later.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #2
KnP

The 2306 did just fine and no issues to report. The space heaters did just fine, the Propane Heater never turned on. In the Murphy Bed pocket, moisture was minimal, just wipped the little that was in. The Tank Heater kept the Black Water tank liquid and was able to flush it out. We had from -5 F (as the coldest day) to and average of 25 F.

Is a great little trailer and I think, Forrest River should add some sort of winter packet like a belly pan and some air criculation vents on the cabinets. Skirting might be the best idea but is too much extra bulky stuff to carry.

That is what I am planing on modding for my next Winter adventure.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 AM   #3

Glad everything worked out for you. Good looking set up too!

Just super curious... You made a choice to actually hook up your truck to your trailer and pull it to a campground to dry camp in those conditions by choice?

Wouldn’t it be the same thing to sit in your driveway in the trailer in those conditions?

Just curious is all.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
54 Years, 13 RV's

FYI, I'm just finishing up a 3 week stress test on my furnace. Temp has been down to nearly zero in Northern Colorado with some regularity. Put a remote temperature sensor in the camper, set the thermostat to 75, and it regularly read from 70-80゚. Never below.

I did do some furnace mods. Dinosaur board for one, and added two outlet heat vents to the furnace.

Furnace is a small Suburban 20K BTU in a Rockwood 2304ks.

I made a new front cover for the furnace and ordered hose, adapters and vents from Amazon. Furnace breaths a lot easier and moves a lot more air, keeping temperature even throughout the coach.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #5
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Glad everything worked out for you. Good looking set up too!

Just super curious... You made a choice to actually hook up your truck to your trailer and pull it to a campground to dry camp in those conditions by choice?

Wouldn’t it be the same thing to sit in your driveway in the trailer in those conditions?

Just curious is all.
We made the choice to take the camper. The rates on the hotels are insane during peak season. We chosed Tiger Run Campground, the camper was pretty much to sleep in. We saved quiet a bit by going this route. Most RVers used the facilities in order to keep the Moisture down in their RVs, or just to use the Hot Tub and Swiming Pool. The campground offered snow removal. You will not believe how packed (TT/Motor Homes) was the campground!

The campground is located between Frisco and Brekenridge and 20 min drive to Copper Mountain and few more mins to Vail. Try to book a room, pretty much is all taken and the prices per night are insane during peak season. If you go and stay in Denver, the traffic is horrible and weather conditions changes pretty darn quick.

The problem that I was facing is doubt. Not sure how the camper will tollerate the weather even with Tank Heaters. To minimize the risk, I left the water system winterized and used the potty when really need it. Most of the time, we spend the time Skiing, Tubing, Snowmobiling, and Dog Sledding. Also dined out a few times.

The water lines are internal so I doubt they will freeze if I left the cabinets partialy open for air circulation. My biggest worry was the Fresh and Gray Tanks. The Black Water Tank, just dumped some RV Antifreeze and helped a lot, also used the Tanks Heaters.

And yes... is like camping out on the driveway.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #6

KNP,how many switchs does your control panel have for the 3 separate Tank Heaters? Youroo!!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
KNP,how many switchs does your control panel have for the 3 separate Tank Heaters? Youroo!!
Only 1 switch, 3 Mats on each tank and I think, 2 Strips wrapped by the sewer drains.

One of my worries is about the pads on the empty tanks. Thought about adding a couple of gallons of water, however, decided not to. Could not find anything about the tanks has to have some liquid in order to be switched on.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
Only 1 switch, 3 Mats on each tank and I think, 2 Strips wrapped by the sewer drains.

One of my worries is about the pads on the empty tanks. Thought about adding a couple of gallons of water, however, decided not to. Could not find anything about the tanks has to have some liquid in order to be switched on.
I doubt you have 3 heat Pads on each tank! Please go to "UltraHeat RV products" and Read! Never use tank heaters without "Fluid in Tanks"! I am only the messenger! Youroo!!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
KnP

Is not 3 pads per tank, is 1 pad per tank, 3 total.

Tags
camping, winter