Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Can a 2109S fit a longer queen mattress?

We like the 2109S but we want a 60x80 mattress. I know it's pretty easy to extend the plywood underneath but it looks like there might not be enough room (need 6") for the slide to still come in. Can anyone say if they have ever used a full queen in a 2109S (vs the 60x74")? Now... I know about the 2205S and how it comes with a 60x80 bed. We love that one with the extra storage space (and even the fireplace!). But we're trying to keep the size down to fit into campspots easily (we have only tent camped for years so are 100% new to RV'ing but want to still be able to go to our favorite spots). Also, the 2205S is so much heavier! Thanks in advance for your input!
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #2

I'm not sure about the newer models, but the 2018 slide hits the mattress when it comes in. So, no you cannot put a full queen in there.
I'm 6 ft 1 and I don't like my feet hanging off, so I did the hinged flip over plywood and a 6" x 6" piece of foam as wide as the bed. I also have a 2" memory foam topper. When setting up camp, I raise mattress, flip the board over, slide my piece of foam in, then pull the full queen sheets over the foam. The memory foam is full queen size. It only takes a matter of minutes to convert. The bed stays made... I only lift the foot end of the covers.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Thanks for describing how to set up a longer queen. Doesn't sound to hard. A question on your setup... with that hinged plywood extension, is it strong enough for people to sit on the edge of the extended bed?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

It is strong enough, though I don't do it. My plywood is 3/4" cabinet grade (because that is what I had lying around) and 24" deep. I put three hinges on it. When it is hinged over, only 6" overhangs the bed... the other 18" is flat to the original bed frame. So, it you sit on the end of the bed, you most likely will not be sitting on the last 6 inches. When I get out of bed (drivers side), I slide off the end of the bed. Note... with this extension deployed, it is a tight squeeze between the slide out and the bed. I sometimes squeeze my legs through there, step over it or just enter the bed from the end. It also makes the bed heavier to lift, but we don't access the under bed storage much anyway. A more elaborate extension would be one that slides out those 6 inches. That was above my pay scale.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #5

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #6

Queen

The slide on our 2017 2109S rubs the mattress when it's in, so no extension of the mattress would be possible. You possibly could put a 6" bolster of some type at the head of the bed to extend the length and remove it for bringing the slide in. We thought of that, but my husband decided the 74" length is OK for him.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Newbie- 21 FBRS

I use a full Queen in my 2019 21FBRS with no issue. Slide works fine.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 21 FBRS
TOW vehicle- 2020 Ram 1500 , 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 rear end, tow package with trailer blind spot.
Max Tow capacity-8379 with full payload
Max payload- 1721
Coevers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s