Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #81
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You have the brands mixed up. Suburbans have an anode rod and Atwoods don't.
Dometic is the parent company that owns both brands.
Suburban is owned by Airxcel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcamp View Post
In case you're concerned about being able to remove the Anode rod, it requires a 1 1/16" or 27 mm socket wrench. If you don't have either of those, try a 4-way tire wrench. One of those sockets may do the job. I've seen some of the highly respected "old timers" use this "hack" when winterizing their units at our seasonal campground.
Atwood/Dometic water heaters have a drain plug which uses a 7/8" socket which is a common size on a 4-way lug wrench.

Suburban uses a 1-1/16 socket, which is a common size for 22" heavy truck rims and is not included in a standard 4-way lug wrench.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #82

Quick question...how hard should it be to get the Anode rod to turn? I am trying to drain my HW heater and DANG it is in there. I don't want to snap the thing off. I'm starting to worry it is cross threaded. I made the dealer de-winterize, test, then re winterize during my PDI...and they were real happy about it. I'm wondering if they got pissed and put the anode in nice and tight for me.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDuB-IA2MI View Post
Quick question...how hard should it be to get the Anode rod to turn? I am trying to drain my HW heater and DANG it is in there. I don't want to snap the thing off. I'm starting to worry it is cross threaded. I made the dealer de-winterize, test, then re winterize during my PDI...and they were real happy about it. I'm wondering if they got pissed and put the anode in nice and tight for me.
They can be really tight. Many people talk about using a breaker bar or cheater on a ratchet handle to get it out the first time. I had to use a rattle gun on mine on highest setting the first time. Now, after getting it started by hand, I usually use the rattle gun on lowest setting to tighten/loosen.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Ultralite 2912bs View Post
Uhhhhhh, you've got things a little messed up. Zinc plating is galvanizing, not anodizing. And that is done to prevent oxidizing(rusting)the metal underneath, like some boat trailers and it's wheels. If the anode rod were solid zinc, it would completely defeat the purpose of what the rod is for. The rods are made of magnesium, or aluminum and those metals become sacrificial for the sake of the tank.
To whom are you referring when you say “you’ve got things a little messed up”? Please use the Quote function to avoid confusion.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
They can be really tight. Many people talk about using a breaker bar or cheater on a ratchet handle to get it out the first time. I had to use a rattle gun on mine on highest setting the first time. Now, after getting it started by hand, I usually use the rattle gun on lowest setting to tighten/loosen.
Thanks Navy!
Old 04-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #86

Quote:
Did you depressurization the heater? If not you’re in for a surprise right after the anode rod becomes easy to move.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Did you depressurization the heater? If not you’re in for a surprise right after the anode rod becomes easy to move.
Very good point. Disconnect from city water or turn off the water pump and open both a cold and hot faucet. Then remove the anode rod.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #88

Yes, fully depressurized.

The sucker just needed one good solid turn and we got it.

The best part was when the rod was removed, and I asked my 13 year old son to open the pressure relief valve all the way...[emoji1787]

He learned a lot in that moment. Mostly not to trust his dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #89

Quote:
Yes, fully depressurized.

The sucker just needed one good solid turn and we got it.

The best part was when the rod was removed, and I asked my 13 year old son to open the pressure relief valve all the way...[emoji1787]

He learned a lot in that moment. Mostly not to trust his dad.
OK, son, we need to check the ignition system now. Hold on to this coil wire while I give the engine a crank over....
Old 04-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #90

Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve

I have always stayed away from pulling the Relief valve to depressurize, most likely will not reseat and will drip, I have replaced many through the years because someone pulled it, if it does drip, when pressurized try pulling and flushing a few times, if that does not work then replace with the appropriate rating for that water heater, there is a tag on the existing with the ratings.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #91

I depressurized via hot water side in kitchen faucet.

The little trick I pulled on the kid was just to break the vacuum in the HW tank to get him soaking wet. [emoji16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.mullins4 View Post
I have always stayed away from pulling the Relief valve to depressurize, most likely will not reseat and will drip, I have replaced many through the years because someone pulled it, if it does drip, when pressurized try pulling and flushing a few times, if that does not work then replace with the appropriate rating for that water heater, there is a tag on the existing with the ratings.

Tags
drain, hot water, pump, water, water pump