Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Can I still Winter camp in my Rv AFTER I winterized it

I have my Rv at my property in upper state NY and I'd like to use it on some nice weekends. I wouldn't use the water system or the toilet. I bought a Camco Porta poti and portable sink. I was thinking I could set them up in the bathroom and bring several gallon jugs and bottled water to use in the port-poti and portable sink. I'd empty the sink out back and bring the black tank home to dump in my home toilet.

Question is can I still use the propane heater system? I would think so. Also, I can use the electric fireplace if I start the Genny.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS
2007 Ford F-250 Diesel CCSB tow pkg
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,011
if its winterized and you are not adding water all you have to do is stay warm.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Novi, MI USA
Posts: 435
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
*I have not tried this

I know several people who used 50/50 RV antifreeze and water to flush toilets and used antifreeze in the grey tank (so they could dump water down drains). Drinking water was 1 gallon jugs kept inside. They dump at the end of the trip and add antifreeze to the traps
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Nevada City CA
Posts: 793
Sure, why not?
__________________
2020 2205S Rockwood Minilite
2019 F 150 Lariat 3.5 Eco Fx4 Max Tow
Equalizer WDH, 1809 lb payload
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,589
You may want to contact a local propane company and have them provide a 100lb tank and an adapter as the 20lbs tanks may not be enough depending on how many days you stay and the temp. If you can try to enclose the area under the trailer. A simple way might be using bales of straw. You will want to leave a window cracked as there will be a lot of condensation. Also as an additional precaution if there is unheated storage under the bed. Put a piece of 1/2" 4' x 8' foam construction board under the mattress. This will prevent the moisture from your body from condensing on the bottom of the mattress causing mold. If the mattress touches an outside wall stick a dollar store pool noodle between the wall and the mattress.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Thanks for the responses.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS
2007 Ford F-250 Diesel CCSB tow pkg
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #7
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You may want to contact a local propane company and have them provide a 100lb tank and an adapter as the 20lbs tanks may not be enough depending on how many days you stay and the temp. If you can try to enclose the area under the trailer. A simple way might be using bales of straw. You will want to leave a window cracked as there will be a lot of condensation. Also as an additional precaution if there is unheated storage under the bed. Put a piece of 1/2" 4' x 8' foam construction board under the mattress. This will prevent the moisture from your body from condensing on the bottom of the mattress causing mold. If the mattress touches an outside wall stick a dollar store pool noodle between the wall and the mattress.

I have two 30 lb tanks. I hope that will be enough for a weekend. If I have to I can fire up the genny and use the fire place.

I didn’t think of enclosing the underbelly, good idea.

Why will it condensate inside so much? I thought if the propane exhaust outside it wouldn’t condensate inside. I’m very curious about this.

I will definitely try putting insulation under the bed.
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 6,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack_Camper View Post
Why will it condensate inside so much? I thought if the propane exhaust outside it wouldn’t condensate inside. I’m very curious about this.
From you breathing mostly.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 679
I could also consider using a small power source (we use a Honda 2000) during the day or early evening, with a 600/800 watt oil filled heater.

___________
Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 679
whoops;
Your could....
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 7,051
Adirondack, I've camped in mine just as you described. Portable bag toilet, not as fancy as yours, just a double bag and kitty litter. and big water jugs for drinking/washing. I keep the water inside so it doesn't freeze. If you have electricity, you might consider a dehumidifier or you could have lots of condensation without ventilating (and losing heat!)
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack_Camper View Post
I have two 30 lb tanks. I hope that will be enough for a weekend. If I have to I can fire up the genny and use the fire place.

I didn’t think of enclosing the underbelly, good idea.

Why will it condensate inside so much? I thought if the propane exhaust outside it wouldn’t condensate inside. I’m very curious about this.

I will definitely try putting insulation under the bed.

You are correct that any moisture produced by the furnace is ducted outside.

Both your breath and your body produce moisture in the air. ( that's why you see your breath when it is cold). The walls and windows will be cool enough to cause the moisture to condense. Cracking a window will help even though it seems counter intuitive.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 7,051
Quote:
Cracking a window will help even though it seems counter intuitive.
Unless it gets 90% or more humidity outside like it does around here at night. The first time my dehumidifier bucket nearly filled overnight, my wife asked where it all came from. I told her, "lung juice".
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,055
Of course. I do it all the time. When we have bad smoke and fires I don't use the trailer much in summer. I use it mostly when there is freezing weather. Last year I slept in it more times when it was winterized than when it wasn't.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #15
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Ok so I could crack a couple windows so it doesn't condensate to much inside or I could run my Generac 2200i and bring my dehumidifier. I'd rather not run the genny if I can help it but maybe just at night when we are inside after playing outside all day.
Im glad I asked cause I never would have thought of the condensation thing and would have wondered why the windows were all wet on the inside.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS
2007 Ford F-250 Diesel CCSB tow pkg
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:21 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 7,051
It's the night time when temps are coldest, and you are inside spewing humidity all night that is the problem. Won't be an issue during day. The greater the differential between inside and outside temp, the lower you have to keep humidity. So, if it is heated inside, the inside humidity should be maintained as follows depending on outside temp. It's good to have an accurate hygrometer inside.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #17
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's the night time when temps are coldest, and you are inside spewing humidity all night that is the problem. Won't be an issue during day. The greater the differential between inside and outside temp, the lower you have to keep humidity. So, if it is heated inside, the inside humidity should be maintained as follows depending on outside temp. It's good to have an accurate hygrometer inside.
Thanks, ill make a note of this. I did put a AcuRite hydrometer in the Rv, I was curious to see what the coldest and hottest temps were while we weren't using it. Ill check the humidity too.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS
2007 Ford F-250 Diesel CCSB tow pkg
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor
 
NJKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 7,051
Hope your unit is right, I never had good luck with any Acurite product (I call it AccuWrong, lol). I'm a weather geek in case you haven't noticed. The thing that annoys me most about their stuff is most of it is uncalibratable. So, even if you have an accurate reading on another device, you can't calibrate it to match. It will at least tell you if humidity is going up or down though.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro G19FD w/off road package
2015 Ford F150 XLT Super Cab 4x4 V8
Yes, I drink the water!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #19
Member
 
Adirondack_Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Hope your unit is right, I never had good luck with any Acurite product (I call it AccuWrong, lol). I'm a weather geek in case you haven't noticed. The thing that annoys me most about their stuff is most of it is uncalibratable. So, even if you have an accurate reading on another device, you can't calibrate it to match. It will at least tell you if humidity is going up or down though.
HaHa AccuWrong. Yeah, I didn't put any thought into which hydrometer is which. But like you said at least I can see the humidity going up and down.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2706WS
2007 Ford F-250 Diesel CCSB tow pkg
Weigh-Safe WDH
Adirondack_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
Dobbs from WI
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 97
If you go with bales make sure they are straw and not hay. Hay will give rodents a happy home.
Also be aware of combustibility of the above. Insulated panels are probably a better choice and can be reused next year.
Dobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.