Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I use two Master "Python" Cable locks to secure my generator on a rack attached to my rear bumper.

Anything can be stolen but I figure the cables will make it enough of a task that the thieves will just move down the line to the generators that are secured merely with a length of "dog chain" and a $2 padlock.

With a rack like that I would consider building a "cage" out of welded angle iron and expanded metal mesh. Hinge one end of the cage so it can be lifted for starting, fueling, and maintenance. When down, secure with TWO padlocks. also, the cage will make a nice foul weather shield if you just put a piece of plywood on the top.
That is a great idea - I saw something similar on our recent RV Trip, owner did something as you suggested if it was me I like this idea -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S JR View Post
Pics?
Pics on the way. Dark now but will get them in the morning and post up.
It is just the gen set sitting on the rack right now.
Maybe a short video so you can hear it and see how it is inside while running too.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
Pics on the way. Dark now but will get them in the morning and post up.
It is just the gen set sitting on the rack right now.
Maybe a short video so you can hear it and see how it is inside while running too.
Have you used the trailer with the rack down? Little concerned with the rack bottoming out?
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Pics?
Didn't see a need for pictures. I did post up a quick little video to show the example and will post again later once the finial project is complete.

https://youtu.be/QrRn2ffachU

Years camping 50+,
Old 03-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Have you used the trailer with the rack down? Little concerned with the rack bottoming out?
If I have to worry about that rack then I'd have to worry about the whole bumper and rear of the camper too. I'd also have to be in a place I have no need to be in nor want to be in.

Years camping 50+,
Old 03-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #26

Quote:
If I have to worry about that rack then I'd have to worry about the whole bumper and rear of the camper too. I'd also have to be in a place I have no need to be in nor want to be in.
Only place I can see causing this problem, and you will want to be in, is the entrance to fuel stations that have a drain "swale" between road and driveway. Especially those that have inclines up from the road.

I've seen quite a few of them and the big hint is the grooves in the pavement on either side of the drain swale where even large low slung semi-trailers (car transports, moving vans) have issues.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Didn't see a need for pictures. I did post up a quick little video to show the example and will post again later once the finial project is complete.

https://youtu.be/QrRn2ffachU
Great looks good. Looking forward to the progress. Do you like the generator?

I've seen the Westinghouse that is supposedly the same model but about $300 cheaper.

Also seen some negative comments about carburetor issues on both. It does appear though that it is usually a loose plug on the circuit board.

Thanks for the video.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #28

We did several things to secure our Champion generator on a previous TT. We cut angle iron to secure as a frame to the hitch hauler frame. The ends are done slimmer than the sides so the generator cannot just be slid out. It was riveted together to make it more difficult than simply unscrewing bolts. The wood cover was open on 3 sides so it was protected from the weather but could fully breath. The front cover was double hinged to fold back for filling the fuel tank. The front feet were bolted down. And there was a cable lock. Never had a problem in 5 years of camping with it. And we do lots of dry camping where it is left unattended.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC07683-0064-4BFD-92DC-BBA088CAAAB1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	250436
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountingphd View Post
We did several things to secure our Champion generator on a previous TT. We cut angle iron to secure as a frame to the hitch hauler frame. The ends are done slimmer than the sides so the generator cannot just be slid out. It was riveted together to make it more difficult than simply unscrewing bolts. The wood cover was open on 3 sides so it was protected from the weather but could fully breath. The front cover was double hinged to fold back for filling the fuel tank. The front feet were bolted down. And there was a cable lock. Never had a problem in 5 years of camping with it. And we do lots of dry camping where it is left unattended.
Attachment 250436
WOW really nice job. Looks great and sounds very practical.

Years camping 50+,
Old 03-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #30

Quote:
WOW really nice job. Looks great and sounds very practical.
Thank you!

I forgot to mention that we bought the generator with the remote start. Best feature for a portable generator.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #31
RAR

This has nothing to do with making it secure but thought I would just mention it.I have that generator on a rack from mount-n-go.com. which works great. But if you haven’t already I would recommend getting the bumper braces from them or any other brand you like because the generator adds a lot of weight especially if you’re going to put anything else on the rack.From threads and trailer people I have talk to they say most bumpers are only rated for about 100lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4B629B79-0D51-4AB0-B608-84A83BF0F1A5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	250444  
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:38 PM   #32

Thanks everyone for the advice..
Keep it coming while I make my decisions moving forward.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #33

Generator boxes

This is how I carry two Honda 2200’s and and extended run fuel tank. All welded to a reinforced bumper. Many nights in cabela’s or Walmart’s while traveling with no issues
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62703464-7FA8-4F1E-A875-C04C487877F8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	250453  
Bluepigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accountingphd View Post
Attachment 250436
I couldn’t get it to let me edit my original post but I realized I forgot something.
We added conduit and ran a 30 amp power cord through it mounted to the under frame. We then installed a 30 amp box underneath. This way when hooking up the generator we just needed to install a short pigtail from under the trailer to the plug in on the side of the coach. That way you also don’t have to worry about someone stealing your power cord.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #35

I've been looking at those. Haven't found one for a onan. I saw it listed for one on the website. But no price or pics.

How are they with muffeling the noise. I has the same 2 Hondas, but looking to upgrade to the 4500. My trailer has a 50 Amp plug and fortunately the pull is at the back of the trailer.

I believe I saw that each box is around $600?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepigs View Post
This is how I carry two Honda 2200’s and and extended run fuel tank. All welded to a reinforced bumper. Many nights in cabela’s or Walmart’s while traveling with no issues
Old 03-25-2021, 10:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
This has nothing to do with making it secure but thought I would just mention it.I have that generator on a rack from mount-n-go.com. which works great. But if you haven’t already I would recommend getting the bumper braces from them or any other brand you like because the generator adds a lot of weight especially if you’re going to put anything else on the rack.From threads and trailer people I have talk to they say most bumpers are only rated for about 100lbs.
My rack is rated at 250lbs. Can I assume the bumper has the same weight rating?
Old 03-26-2021, 12:07 AM   #37
RAR

I would probably call FR or email them.I doubt any dealer may know for sure but maybe. If I remember correctly the mount-n-go may have some info on it.
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Well I did get it up and on the bike rack. To my surprise there were no vibrations at all. I did hear it through the walls though. Even at 52db I could hear it, giving me a stark reminder how thin the walls are on these campers. It was not so bad one could not live with it though and I could watch the TV with out turning up the volume much also. I think the sound bar helped with that one a tad. It was just a slight muzzled hum. It does become just a matter of locking it down now. I have plenty of room to build a box around it so as to hide what it is and that should help. Sort of a lock box so to speak made of thin diamond metal sheets. A new project to take on , but one I like the idea of doing. I'll add a long receiver to the hitch and bolt it to the rack underneath to help give it more weight strength also.
Heck if I keep on they will have to steel the entire camper to get the generator.
IF you decide to build a box, make sure that you make provisions for air circulation to cool the generator. "I" would make the box out of a angle iron and expanded metal mesh or flat/round bar; OR allow the sides to fold down.

personally, i would think bolting it down to the carrier would be sufficient, BUT i would put a rubber insulator between the carrier and the generator to mitigate vibration.

Bill
2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #39

A friend sent me this...

https://youtu.be/A4IanhvQtiA
Old 03-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #40

Jim S

My setup was about $1400. They all lock to each other and cables run between each box through hole in the under and top sides that come with covers if you don’t use them. The caps at each end are removable when in use and all controls are easily accessible. Mine are all keyed alike.
Bluepigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, rockwood