Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

Ceiling fan in a 2109S

I am thinking about installing a ceiling fan in a 2020 2109S. We do most of our trips to non-commercial campgrounds so generator usage is limited at night and we just wanted to see if a ceiling fan is a practical idea. I am just starting to look into the possibilities and have a few questions and concerns.

1- Has anyone done this? What obstacles are there?
2- I am looking for a 12 volt brushless motor. Has anyone seen one, or used one?
3- I am thinking that I should probably look of one with a wireless remote. Any thoughts?

I am sure there are many more considerations that I have not even thought of yet. Any thoughts or guidance you can think of will be greatly appreciated.
Frankie926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #2
Always Learning

1, haven't done it but you'll almost definitely need to build out support for one to hold better. The biggest concern I have is getting power to it- if you tap into a light circuit, are the wires big enough for the voltage the fan may require? And, are they switched or hot all of the time?

2, I've seen a few 12v fans on Amazon (of course, right?). I don't know their quality.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

I assume you took ceiling height into consideration. I would suggest a flush mount one, not one that hangs from a down rod as IMHO it would sway too much while traveling.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses.

Wiscampsin, if I do go forward it would definitely be a hugger type because of the ceiling height. A concern there would be is there enough space between the blades and the ceiling for the fan to move enough air.

Ependydad, these are some of the questions that I have. I haven't even looked at the wiring to the lights yet. One of the fans I have looked at is 12 volts and only draws about .3 amps, and is only a tad over 8 pounds. As far as support goes, I have read that all of the lights are currently screwed into some sort of rafter or joist. We shall see. I

I am not in any rush to proceed. Thank you for your input. I will let you all know how things go.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:20 PM   #5

I have yet to have issues opening the two vents and turning on the maxx air fan to move air overnight when it's not crazy warm outside.

When it is I use a USB rechargeable fan with clamp setup and just move it to where I need it. But I also run solo so I don't need to keep another person comfortable as well.

But I'll admit I've upgraded my power system so I can run the AC at night in my 2104s at a higher temp (80 degrees) to stay more comfortable overnight if it's really hot for the vents only. I can get 4-4.5 hours of run time on full batteries of it starts already cool from shore power. At 15 minutes per hour that's only 3 hours total for a 12 hour quiet time.

As far the original question on the ceiling fan, don't forget that the roof is curved a bit. A hugger version may still be too close at the tips

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:54 AM   #6

Thanks, I didn't even think about the curved ceiling. Just one more thing I hadn't thought about.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie926 View Post
As far as support goes, I have read that all of the lights are currently screwed into some sort of rafter or joist. We shall see.
In both of my rigs, the lights have just been screwed into the luan on the ceiling. I've not had any actually use joists.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

1. I changed mine to a fantastic fan model 2250
2. The wires are right in the space that you take the vent out of.

It's made a big difference when it's hot to pull the air through the rv.
Garek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #9

We have the same camper (21FBRS version) and we’ve been thinking about putting in a reversible Fantastic fan in the vent over the bed. I figure that directing the air in towards the bed and exhaust the air out thru the bathroom Fantastic fan might do the trick.
jwalt313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt313 View Post
We have the same camper (21FBRS version) and we’ve been thinking about putting in a reversible Fantastic fan in the vent over the bed. I figure that directing the air in towards the bed and exhaust the air out thru the bathroom Fantastic fan might do the trick.
The current setup does not pull enough air through the regular vent over the bed when you turn on the Fantastic fan in the bathroom?

Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
Old 07-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
The current setup does not pull enough air through the regular vent over the bed when you turn on the Fantastic fan in the bathroom?
I would say...no...the extra boost of the fan helps
Garek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garek View Post
I would say...no...the extra boost of the fan helps
This is the issue we ran into as well. Before we bought, we rented a 2018 2104s that had the fantastic fan over the bed and it worked well. Didn't really think about that too much at the purchase time. But, our 2020 has the fan in the bathroom and does not move the air at the bed anything close to same as having the fan over the bed.

This is definitely one mod we will make next. I'm hoping there is a 12v leg up there. Make it much easier for sure.

2020 Rockwood 2104S
2019 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4 6.7 cummins
theHookers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
I have a 21FBRS also and took out the crank open vent and replaced it with a fantastic 12v remote control reversible fan. Once you take out the vent a bunch of 12v wires will be visible. I used the led switch leg to power the fan. I have to leave the main led light switch on all the time. I just turn on the led lights individually now. two battle born batteries and 340 watts of solar take care of the power
cyclenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
We have a 22FBS, very similar to your 21FBRS. We have a 10 speed reversible MaxxAir fan over our bed. We pull air in from that and exhaust air out the rear bathroom MaxxAir fan. Works very well.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Quoting myself here as I am on my first time out after adding a maxxair vent cover to my standard roof vent and now the vent is not letting was much air in as it had previously. I knew it would impact some but it's not than I expected. However, it's worth it to keep the heat and rain out.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:51 AM   #16

We have a MaxxAir vent in the kitchen, but they are way too noisy for the bedroom.

Instead, I found a cheap hanging ceiling fan (Amazon, I think...) that is whisper quiet and so powerful I'm planning to install a rheostat to slow it down. I installed a 12v outlet next to the bed and added a tiny eyebolt to the A/C housing. We hang it from the eyebolt with one of those rubber-coated wire thingies (you need something stiff to resist the fan's torque, but a metal hanger transmitted too much vibration to the A/C housing). A couple cup hooks guide the fan's power wire to the outlet. We take it down when travelling. Ugly but works great. Just don't stand up on the bed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_225618.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	258871  
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, fan