Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

Cell Booster Dealer Install 2021 2911BS

Just had the dealer install a Winegard Cell Booster on my 2911BS. I am pretty certain they did a terrible install but thought I'd ask on here since I'm not an RV mechanic. I would have thought the cable would have been run inside the RV and not along the roof. Am I wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cell Booster Install Roof Pic.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	268563  
Yaya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:59 PM   #2

What the is that!?! That looks like a horrible installation they did to me. Yes it would have been better if they had went straight down from the roof and then sealed it up. Or moved the antenna somewhere closer to where the cable was going into the trailer so you didn’t have so much cable just sitting on top. (I will admit I don’t know the installation requirements for the Winegard booster, so maybe the outside antenna needs to be more centrally located). I personally would be afraid that the tape will deteriorate and/or come off allowing the cable to move around and destroy itself.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #3

All I can say is…….Wow!
Camp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #4

I would have done a neater installation but it would be more difficult and it would take longer (I.e. it would cost more). I expect your install is not entirely unusual. Have you seen how cable TV installers do a house install? Wires draped hideously along the outside or even over the roof.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Cell boosters need the antenna mounted as far away from the repeater as possible so I'm sure that's why the distance.

Could they have done a better job... sure but in all fairness, that install will likely never give you a minute's worth of trouble unless you drag something across the roof. If you do that, you likely have bigger fish to fry.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

Looks like you chose the wrong two options.

Do you want it:
Fast & Cheap - but it may not be correct
Cheap & Correct - it will not be any time soon
Correct & Fast - but it will not be cheap.

2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Looks like you chose the wrong two options.

Do you want it:
Fast & Cheap - but it may not be correct
Cheap & Correct - it will not be any time soon
Correct & Fast - but it will not be cheap.

WTH are you talking about? I didn’t take it to a homeless person but to the dealer who assured me they do these installs all the time. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #8

The distance makes sense. I just would have thought the cable would have been run into the roof at the antenna and run to the repeater inside the camper and not run on the roof. Perhaps that’s not possible though.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #9

Nothing wrong with that install. The two antennas must be mounted at least 20-25’ apart to prevent oscillation, booster will not function if it oscillates. Running in the roof space may not be possible depending upon the roof construction. I did a very similar thing when I had my Forester. Antenna was mounted on the ladder coax ran from there to near the front of the roof and I used the sat prep coax to bring the signal into the electronics cabinet where I mounted the amp and interior antenna. I used as you have eternabond tape to secure the coax to the roof. Stayed put for 3+ years until I traded the coach. The eternabond was still a PIA to remove.
On my current Newmar I had the factory run the necessary coax as a special when it was being built, that is not something that most builders will do.

I expect you wil have many years of trouble free use with your install.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaya81 View Post
The distance makes sense. I just would have thought the cable would have been run into the roof at the antenna and run to the repeater inside the camper and not run on the roof. Perhaps that’s not possible though.
Most likely your roof is laminated construction and there is not a channel that runs it’s length. Typically laminated roofs are completely built on a bench except for the roof membrane and then placed on top of the walls. Wiring channels are routed in the foam and wires put in place before the actual structure is glued together. The only way to add additional wiring is to go from light to light and try to push a snake through the foam. It can be done but is very time consuming and may not be possible due to structural pieces of wood or aluminum going side to side.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Nothing wrong with that install. The two antennas must be mounted at least 20-25’ apart to prevent oscillation, booster will not function if it oscillates. Running in the roof space may not be possible depending upon the roof construction. I did a very similar thing when I had my Forester. Antenna was mounted on the ladder coax ran from there to near the front of the roof and I used the sat prep coax to bring the signal into the electronics cabinet where I mounted the amp and interior antenna. I used as you have eternabond tape to secure the coax to the roof. Stayed put for 3+ years until I traded the coach. The eternabond was still a PIA to remove.
On my current Newmar I had the factory run the necessary coax as a special when it was being built, that is not something that most builders will do.

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:15 PM   #12

I would at least tape the cable the entire length for protection and to make sure nothing gets wedged under it.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #13

While technically not wrong, I do believe the dealer could have put a little more thought into it and ran the cable in a better position. Or atleast taped the entire thing. I’m not saying they did a bad job, just a subpar one in my opinion. Yes the distance between outside antenna and inside antenna makes a difference, so the location might have been what was needed. When I installed my booster (WeBoost not Winegard) I put the outside antenna on my ladder, and the inside one is on the opposite end of the trailer so I have plenty of distance. Maybe with yours the outside needed to be towards the front and your inside towards the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4D691EB-D14D-418C-B181-53AA6DC694FD.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	268587  
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post

I agree!
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #15

Tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
I personally would be afraid that the tape will deteriorate and/or come off allowing the cable to move around and destroy itself.
If that tape is Eternabond (probably is), it's NEVER coming off.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If that tape is Eternabond (probably is), it's NEVER coming off.
Agreed, and for those saying it should be taped the entire length of the cable... I personally wouldn't do that. As it is, it allows water to continue to shed off both sides of the crowned roof without the tape creating a continuous dam.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #17

When I used Eternabond to secure the coax on my previous coach I placed 2' wide "straps" across the cable every 3 feet or so for the reason 5picker stated. Never had an issue. Occasionally had to pick a leaf or pine needles out from under the cable.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401

Tags
2021, booster, dealer