Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Change over new 2017 2507s battery to two 6v

Looking to change over my one 12v battery to 2 6v batteries. I know how to wire the batteries them selfs. My question is do i have to change the gauge of wiring on the trailer to the battery.
Swa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swa1 View Post
Looking to change over my one 12v battery to 2 6v batteries. I know how to wire the batteries them selfs. My question is do i have to change the gauge of wiring on the trailer to the battery.

No, You will not be supplying any more amps, all you are doing is increasing the storage capacity of the battery(s).

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #3

So this will give longer charge time, so the batterys last longer for dry camping? If so I will need to do this.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

K7TNT that is correct. The 2 6volts will more than double the amp hours of the typical group 24 battery installed by the dealer. If you are buying a new camper this could be a point of negotiations. Maybe delete the battery and box for money off for example, or supplying you with 2 6 or 2 12volts (get at least group 27, 31 would be better if going with 12volts) to close the sale. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

Change over new 2017 2507s battery to two 6v

Upgrading batteries will not themselves require heavier gauge wire. You are getting more storage capacity with them, but don't need heavier wire to take advantage of the extra storage capacity.

There are other compelling reasons to get heavier gauge wire like:
1. You will want big enough wire to handle the amps. Unless you are adding an inverter which can draw a lot from the batteries (which is another subject), the only concern is charging amps from the converter. Chances are you are fine unless you upgraded the converter with a greater amp output.
2. Minimizing voltage drop due to distance between batteries and converter. Voltage drop will simply increase charging time.

Most folks that are concerned with above are boondockers who recharge their batteries with a generator and want to do it in as short a time as possible.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery