Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Coleman Mach Thermostat question

Happy Easter everyone! Just a quick thought I wanted to run by everyone here. My family recently took delivery of a 2013 Windjammer 3006wk. It's been parked along the side of our house now for about two weeks giving us time to load stuff and play around with it.

My question pertaining to the thermostat is this. I'm looking to run the fan all the time. We have two little campers in my family who sleep better with some background noise going. While the furnace is running, the fan is on. When the furnace goes off, after a short bit, the fan goes off. It appears the same thing will occur when using the AC. The fan switch appears to be it's own independent switch.

Are there mods out there to change this? Or maybe a new thermostat I can swap out?
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #2

We use a small portable fan for background noise at home and in the camper.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

We. Use the radio
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFire 152 View Post
Happy Easter everyone! Just a quick thought I wanted to run by everyone here. My family recently took delivery of a 2013 Windjammer 3006wk. It's been parked along the side of our house now for about two weeks giving us time to load stuff and play around with it.

My question pertaining to the thermostat is this. I'm looking to run the fan all the time. We have two little campers in my family who sleep better with some background noise going. While the furnace is running, the fan is on. When the furnace goes off, after a short bit, the fan goes off. It appears the same thing will occur when using the AC. The fan switch appears to be it's own independent switch.

Are there mods out there to change this? Or maybe a new thermostat I can swap out?
You would need to add a switch to supply 12V to the fan only or they sell what is called a fan relay center that would make the fan stay on. You can find it on their WEB SITE..........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

You can swap out the factory T-stat with something else and install a hi/lo fan switch.
I did this on 3 of my previous campers and it was a very beneficial mod. Links:

Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat RV Installation

Hunter Thermostat

Install a Hunter Digital Thermostat
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

I ran a separate switch to the fan for a different reason, just to circulate air in the winter when we use an electric heater, but the fan will run without activating the burner.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFire 152 View Post

Maybe very important steip to check with MFG Atwood or Suburban and ask if the fan can be run continuouos duty without damage. I doubt it seems like design for intermittant duty, just a phone call, cheaper than the parts/ labor to change it prematurely.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Maybe very important steip to check with MFG Atwood or Suburban and ask if the fan can be run continuouos duty without damage. I doubt it seems like design for intermittant duty, just a phone call, cheaper than the parts/ labor to change it prematurely.
Did that before doing it and the answer is NO from the factory. Changing out the motor is not a big project and we don't run it that often. Probably less than if we used the furnace instead of the electric heater. As for running it 5 or 6 hrs continuously every night, I don't have a clue, but as I said, changing one is not that big a project. If I wanted to run it, I'd run it and just see how long it would last.

I'm sure we've all made mods the factory would object to doing.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the input so far!
NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

On our old trailer (2007 zinger) we could put the thermostat in the off position between heat and cool then switch the other switch from auto to fan and run the ac blower without the ac compressor. This worked great and we have been doing that all summer since new with no fan motor issues and we camp about 40 days every summer.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote