Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

Converter fan running full time when connected to shore power?

Just bought a 2020 GeoPro 16BH and it’s amazing. We’re connected to shore power 30AMP here at the campground. When all the interior lights are on, I’ve noticed that the converter fan runs almost all the time as long as the lights are on. Basically doesn’t turn off at all.

The noise doesn’t bother me but I’m worried something is wrong? Should it really run full time like that? The battery meter shows battery at 100%. I also tried turning the battery disconnect to off and it still runs. I know the overhead lights and TV are both 12V. But I assumed they switched when on shore power. The fridge is also AC or DC and can confirm it’s on AC.

Is this expected? Just want to make sure my fan doesn’t blow out or something because something isn’t operating as it should be.
BackcountryCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryCamp View Post
Just bought a 2020 GeoPro 16BH and it’s amazing. We’re connected to shore power 30AMP here at the campground. When all the interior lights are on, I’ve noticed that the converter fan runs almost all the time as long as the lights are on. Basically doesn’t turn off at all.

The noise doesn’t bother me but I’m worried something is wrong? Should it really run full time like that? The battery meter shows battery at 100%. I also tried turning the battery disconnect to off and it still runs. I know the overhead lights and TV are both 12V. But I assumed they switched when on shore power. The fridge is also AC or DC and can confirm it’s on AC.

Is this expected? Just want to make sure my fan doesn’t blow out or something because something isn’t operating as it should be.
The battery meter shows 100% because you’re hooked to shore power and the converter is attempting to charge the battery. The only time those battery level lights are close to useful is when you unplug from shore power.

Lights don’t switch to 120vAC from 12vDC at any time.

I’m guessing your battery is bad. Unplug from shore power and test with a multi-meter or a hydrometer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The battery meter shows 100% because you’re hooked to shore power and the converter is attempting to charge the battery. The only time those battery level lights are close to useful is when you unplug from shore power.

Lights don’t switch to 120vAC from 12vDC at any time.

I’m guessing your battery is bad. Unplug from shore power and test with a multi-meter or a hydrometer.
Thank you for the info! When we unplug from shore power the battery still shows 100%. Although it does start to drain with things on. I’m guessing you’re right that something is wrong with the batteries. I’ve been meaning to switch to 6V golf cart batteries instead of the marine batteries anyways.

Just curious why the fan would be running even when I hit the battery disconnect? Shouldn’t that end the issue with the fan running because it’s trying to recharge the batteries?

The fan turns off immediately when I turn off the interior lights.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #4

The converter supplies 12v to charge the batteries and/or run 12v things. Enough lights will make the fan come on, a dead enough battery will too. This is normal.

I'd bet you can find the number of lights being on (assuming charged battery) that cause it. Maybe 3 lights doesn't, but 4 lights does.

Disconnecting the battery isn't the greatest for the converter. It makes voltage regulation more difficult. The battery "absorbs" any fluctuations.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Got it. Thank you! Yes it turns off as soon as I turn the interior lights off. Immediately. And when I flip the lights on the fan turns back on. I disengaged the battery just to check, but I do have it on now.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryCamp View Post
Got it. Thank you! Yes it turns off as soon as I turn the interior lights off. Immediately. And when I flip the lights on the fan turns back on. I disengaged the battery just to check, but I do have it on now.
You need to have your batteries checked with a hydrometer. I'm guessing a bad battery cell.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

I'd be interested in brand/model of converter. Some will kick on fan as soon as any load is applied. Others only switch on fan when converter temp rises above a set point. Another type has a variable fan speed depending on amount of heat it needs to dissipate.

Not all converters work the same in regards to the fan.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You need to have your batteries checked with a hydrometer. I'm guessing a bad battery cell.
The battery on the Cherokee is not particularly great, but when park power goes off, it will run the lights for 15-30 minutes until park power comes back on. The fan in the converter comes on when I turn four or more lights on. I'm guessing 8-10 amps.

The converter in the SOB does the same thing. I'm guessing it's perfectly normal operation.

I'm not so sure the OP has a bad battery cell, but he can check that in seconds. If he unplugs from shore power, he will have only 10.5 volts and incandescent lamps will be notably orange, not white.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Change to LED bulbs
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysen View Post
Change to LED bulbs
Agreed. LED's use a fraction of the power of incandescent, and they don't create heat.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Change to LED bulbs
So you're thinking a trailer as new as a 2020 GeoPro 16BH came with incandescent bulbs?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Change to LED bulbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
Agreed. LED's use a fraction of the power of incandescent, and they don't create heat.
My R/V has all LED bulbs and when I get enough of them turned on, my converter fan runs too. It just doesn't always happen with incandescent bulbs.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #13

See reply #4. Our 19FD does the same thing. Its not a problem however if you're still unsure you could have the batteries tested. I'm betting there's nothing wrong with them.

Tags
converter, fan, power, shore power