Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Question Could the Rockwood 2604 be it?!

We're planning to full-time later this year, and think the 2604 might be the closest floorplan to what we've been looking for - although it definitely looks short on storage space without the dinette (we love the freestanding table setup). Before we chase one down since they are all a few hours drive away, can anyone answer:

1: If there are drawers under the bed, how many/large and how do you like them?

2: Hanging height in the two bedside wardrobes (the DW goes nuts when we look at units where they say you can hang something and all of us know they are too short!) Measurement from the center of the bar to the floor of the wardrobe closet.

3: Thoughts about sitting up and reading in bed with the window behind you? We both read for an hour at least and we're concerned the lack of a headboard might be an issue.

Comments appreciated!
WestCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Could not find the "edit" button but also wanted to double checkt the cargo weights, it almost looks like a "typical" 2604 leaves the factory with a dry weight of 5,700 lbs and the 2604 has a GVWR of 6,600 so if we add in 300 lbs for 35 gallons of water and 240 lbs for a couple of propane tanks we can only have 360 pounds of cargo ?!? THAT can't be right can it ?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

There are 3 drawers under bed each are 15"L x11 W X 5 Deep. Above the drawers is a 51W X 22L X 8 deep storage area. My wife uses a college type backrest pillow for reading in bed and that works fine. I haven't brought mine to a scale yet so I can't answer the last one.
2012 ROCKWOOD #2604
99 Tahoe 5.7L- 3.73
Juss82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #4

The
TBuist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
Could not find the "edit" button but also wanted to double checkt the cargo weights, it almost looks like a "typical" 2604 leaves the factory with a dry weight of 5,700 lbs and the 2604 has a GVWR of 6,600 so if we add in 300 lbs for 35 gallons of water and 240 lbs for a couple of propane tanks we can only have 360 pounds of cargo ?!? THAT can't be right can it ?
Try to find (lighter) propane!! Youroo
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Try to find (lighter) propane!! Youroo
You're correct. I was using 30 gallons instead of 30 lb tanks for the calcs - that will bring propane down to no more than 120# but I still have a hard time believing this Rockwood unit is leaving the factory with so little cargo capability. Guess we have to keep looking.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
You're correct. I was using 30 gallons instead of 30 lb tanks for the calcs - that will bring propane down to no more than 120# but I still have a hard time believing this Rockwood unit is leaving the factory with so little cargo capability. Guess we have to keep looking.
We were seriously considering the 2604 from looking at it online and in brochures -- until we saw it in real life ! Among the deal-breakers from my wife's point of view was the lack of a pantry and the lack of a coat wardrobe at or near the exit door. She wasn't enamoured of the need to stoop under the kitchen overhead cabinets when using the sink either. Other than these issues, quite a nice floor plan. We opted for an 8315BSS (2010) instead.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #8

We took delivery in April of a 2604 and love it. I love the the window by the bed. With the bedroom vent open, I like to look out the window at night and see and hear what's going on. We like to watch movies at night. Just prop the pillows up and have no problem. My trailer came loaded up (electric jack and stabilizers) and dry weigh at 5839. I keep the fresh water tank at 1/4 while traveling to keep the weight down. Also I put the heavy stuff in the bed of the truck(chairs,wood,inflatable kayak, etc.)
I drove it from from Ohio to Texas when I purchased it.The propane tanks are 20# tanks and the empty tanks are included in the dry weight. So you add 40# for the fill. I like the 20# tanks because I can exchange them anywhere. I used the heater three nights and did not use a full tank. Of course we now use an electric heater to supplement and have no problems with the tanks.
I hang my clothes in the closet and put my socks and underwear in the drawer under the bed. There are also cabinets over the bed. So far they are empty. We may have a different perspective because we have been tent campers up until now, but we think that there is plenty of storage. I suggest that you make the trip to look at it.
thull87814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #9

We bought our 2604 last year because of the nice floor plan. However, I would NEVER but one again. The real question you need to ask is about quality of workmanship - very poor. We bought it just before our 6 week trip thru Canada; I spent way too much time fixing leaks, electrical glitches. There were other great people on this forum at the time that offered me great advice on how to fix the problems - because they had gone thru the same problems. Buyer beware.
vsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #10

I had a 2010 2604 fully loaded. Ready for camping it weighed 6200 on the CAT scales. Found a deal on a MH couldn't pass it up. I towed the 2604 8000 miles, only problem was electric tongue jack failed and was replaced under warrentee.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My 30 lb. propane tanks weigh 54 lbs. each when full. If you are not going to be dry camping, then you probably won't be carrying 35 gallons of water down the road. I fill our tank so the 1/3 light just cuts on before traveling, unless we are planning on dry camping. That amount allows us to flush the toilet and wash our hands, and would probably be enough water for an unexpected stay at Walmart.

You are correct that the 2604 is probably going to weigh 5600 lbs. from the factory, so a 1100 lb. cargo capacity is not a lot if you plan to full time. For comparison, our SV 263 has a cargo capacity of 2900 lbs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #12

Our 2604 (2012) came from the factory at 5819 lbs. With a GVW of 6600, that was the only draw back in the unit for us. We loaded everything into a large laundry basket and then weighed it to see how much weight we were putting in it. We're looking at about a total of 600 lbs added, that includes food, cloths, propane, etc, but no water in the tanks. We've only had to have water in our tanks once in 6 years of camping. We're members of Resorts of Distinction and all campgound have atleast water/elect, and a lot have full hook-ups.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags