Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Cover for RV worth it?

I am about to close on a deal for an 8313SS. I wonder if an RV cover is really worth it. I will have to park an RV in storage outdoors when I do not use it. Is the cover really protective of damage? Is it easy to get on and off? Thanks for you help....I am a rookie about to buy his first RV.
neurorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

Did you ever get any replies from your question?

I'm curious because I'm picking up my 2009 2306 on Friday morning and would love some advice on winter storage if I have to leave it in my driveway.

Thanks!
DBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

First off to FRF. When it comes to covers it's a personal preference. If you store your unit where debris such as leaves, pine needles or any amount of flying dust then a cover is definitely a great way to keep your unit clean and protected. It should be a breathable type so moisture is not trapped within the unit. As for how easy they are to put on and remove I'm sure others that use a cover each year will tune in. The bigger they are I'm sure the more work they are.
Personally I don't use one only because I use my unit during the off season as an escape to for football games.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #4

I have an 8318 (and had a 2601 prior). For both I have always used a cover between uses. I do live in FL and it is stored where it is partially under trees. Yeah, it is a pain to put on and take off, but there is nothing like putting it away for a couple weeks or months and then coming back to the camper, uncovering it, and it still looking like it did when I cleaned it and parked it.

I do try and plan when I will take the cover off since we do get some rains in FL. When it is raining or the cover is wet it gets harder to remove the cover. So, I try and judge the weather so I take it off when it is as dry as possible.

Others have mentioned that they get some chaffing..I have been fortunate and have not had that issue.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #5

We have a 296 and last year was the first year that we covered, we always covered our older model but everyone had mixed suggestions on the newer model,,

We are on a permanent site and dont get up to check on it in the winter, so we decided to cover and am sure glad that we did...It keeps everything so much cleaner.. I was always worried about a tree limb coming through the sky light and not finding the damage til spring..we purchased ours through camping world, and were very pleased,,,

Removing and installing was no big deal,, just make sure any sharp edges are padded.

good luck and congrats on your new trailer
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #6

I'm looking at buying a cover too for my 5th wheel as it will be outside in the woods for the winter. Talked to the roof company and they said as long as it gets air inside it should be ok. Talked to a RV dealer and they said it would help protect the unit.

It has been mention it may leave marks on the unit from rubbing as the wind will make it move some. If I tie it down that should help with that. Looking for others who have tried this.
Relaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #7

I too am looking at purchasing a cover. Most likely before this winter. After some research I think I may be opting for the Goldline RV Cover from National Discount RV Covers http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.com/

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #8

Adco makes great covers and it will help keep your trailer clean . Its a great way to keep it from fading and will stay new looking longer. If you live in an area that snows it prevents snow and ice build-up in the seams. You will find you will have less problems with leaks.
rockwood mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

8314BSS cover experience

I used a cover on my previous Travel Trailer (aluminum exterior) and was very pleased with how well the trailer was kept clean and protected from the sun. We have had some very wet and windy weather over the last couple years that helped to tear the covers just as they reached the end of their warranties. Our new TT is a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8314BSS and it has permanent gutter extensions. Has anyone used a cover on a unit with these (about 3") extensions. I can put some padding around them, but I would worry about the weight of a wet cover breaking or bending them and possibly tearing the cover.
GingersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #10

I have the same issue with the gutter extensions.. What are you using to cover them up so it doesnt rip through cover..
njjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #11

We have a 2011 Rockwood 2702ss that well hopefully be delivered this week, we ordered an adco cover from camping world and well be putting it on, I beleive anytime you put cover of any kind (not a Tarp) it only increasing the protection. I have always had covers on my boats, and I well have a cover on this TT too.

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Firm believer in "no cover."
Reasoning:

1) The campers in storage at the RV stores don't use them and they can be there for years.

2) The protrusions (like the gutters you mention) will tear the cover or break off. If the cover tears IT WILL FLAP causing even more damage.
If you do use a cover, you MUST pad large protrusions and your TV/radio antennas with foam and tape it down.
Glue from the tape tends to leave a mess.

3) The cover will move in the wind and wear down the sealant on the high spots like seams and leak over time without constant maintenance.

4) Cheap covers actually trap moisture in northern climates. A breathable cover needs to be used to allow moisture to escape. You will also need to leave some windows open to vent the camper.

5) PITA to get in and out during the off season to do maintenance and inspections. Most are not set up to allow the slides to open while covered. Difficult to find damage until you unwrap for your first camping trip. Being able to go out frequently to run out the slides and awning to check for mold, creatures, and damage is my best argument.

There are even more reasons I suppose.
I just cover the AC unit (and might not even do that this year) to keep the leaves out.

Those who stated the cover keeps the roof clean are right on. I do have to clean the roof annually when I do my Spring Cleaning and roof inspection.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #13

I ended up using tennis balls.. Just cut a slit in them and slid them over the gutter extensions. To make sure they stayed I also used thin duct tape to secure them.. Worked great I thought.
njjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #14

I use foam pipe insulators just cut them to length slide them over the extentions and then cover.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch
2003 Harley FXDX Super Glide
browne02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

rv cover

I keep mine in a rv shelter it stays clean and dry out of the sun no black streaks.I coverd the ground with tarps so theirs no miostuer underneath the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 241.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	3832  
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
Infractee

I fully recommend a cover!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camperstore3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	3880  
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #17

4runner, what brand is your rv shelter and how hard was it to set up.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood