Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #1

crack above rear slide 8313SS

Found a crack above the rear slide on my 2011 8313SS. Very frustrated. I sent an email to Rockwood and opened a warranty ticket with RVWholesalers. Neither of which has answered me yet. I'm nervous that Rockwood is going to leave me hanging because I now live in Alaska and they don't have dealers up here.

tbiker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiker99
Found a crack above the rear slide on my 2011 8313SS. Very frustrated. I sent an email to Rockwood and opened a warranty ticket with RVWholesalers. Neither of which has answered me yet. I'm nervous that Rockwood is going to leave me hanging because I now live in Alaska and they don't have dealers up here.
Seen that crack on pictures in this forum here before.
Do a search to find the previous threads.
Id link to it but on my android right now.
Search crack above slide
Or crack
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Look up (Windjammer 3065W) posts. They had crack area also. Repair for them was (Back to Factory) for wall replacment. They also moved the axles at the same time. Big repair job,not a DYS at home. Good luck. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

hopefully you are the original owner and paid for the 2nd year warranty - if you did then it would most likely be covered under warranty.

Good Luck and like youroo said - big repair job and it will most likely go back to the factory for the repair
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #5

I've read all the posts and I did buy the 2nd year warranty. It should be covered. But my biggest fear is that there isn't a Rockwood dealer within 2000 miles. Everyone of the other posts said that Rockwood sent their trailer back to the factory and basically took real good care of them. The cost of shipping it back and forth from here is going to be crazy. Somehow, I don't think they are going to be so kind to me.
For the record, I bought it for the move up here. I'm in the military, so I can't just take the time/spend the money to take it back to the closest dealer 2000 miles away.
Monday, I'll be calling, since no one wants to answer emails.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #6

well I would explain to them that you are in the Military and your orders took you to Alaska and see what they are willing to do for you -
Hopefully the outcome will be a pleasant one - good luck and I thank you for your service
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #7

I haven't updated this post, because I haven't made a huge amount of progress. The factory told me last summer that they would ship it back if I could get it to the lower 48. Since this wasn't a reasonable option, they said I could take it to a local shop and the factory would pick up the bill. In July 12, I took it to a shop who said they could fix it, but not till the winter because of work load. But both the factory and the shop said it was good to use, just seal it with silicone or waterproof tape. So I used it a couple times over the summer. Dropped it off in September. Obviously using a camper in AK over the Winter is not a priority, so I didn't press the issue. Now that the weather is finally getting better, I pushed the issue. The shop finally looked at it, today. And they think it may be a structural problem and they don't know if they are going to be able to fix it. Ugh....Of course it's been 7 months since I dropped it off, it is now 5 months out of warranty. They are going to contact the factory again to determine if the factory has any idea how to fix it in the field.
I'm pretty sure that my camping season has come to end already. As of today, I'm pissed at both Rockwood for my camper breaking and the local yahoo for taking on a project he couldn't complete. I pretty much regret buying a new camper before coming to AK. I fear that I'm going to have to go to court to get this taken care of. If anything updates, I'll post again.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #8

I noticed your not on the blame list. What part of (Factory Repair) was not clear? F/R has been more than fair trying to repair your unit. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #9

I believe they are being fair, but I don't see where I am to blame. I am fairly confident that I didn't do anything to cause the problem. To be fair, they don't even know what the problem is yet.
I had to move to Alaska (military). I bought a new camper so that I would reduce the chances of having major problems. I bought the camper in the lower 48 so that I could enjoy the trip up here, and back. That was the main reason for buying a camper in the first place. This is my first, and I wanted reduce the likelihood of having issues on the trip, so I bought new and I bought what I thought was a better quality camper.
Every product line is going to have a few failures. I could have bought any brand and had similar issues. I'm more mad at the whole situation than at Rockwood. I'm pissed at the local guy who said he could fix it 11 months ago, took it in 7 months ago, and now is saying "this is probably too much for him to handle". I think Rockwood has been somewhat fair in their offers. But I don't think I should end up owning a $27K lemon, that I can use/sell/fix. If it has a damaged frame, and no one local can fix it; I don't see that anyone is going to be willing to transport it back to the factory. (I'm not sure that it is going to be safe to drag 3000 miles to the factory) I end up with a 9000lb, 2 year old piece of yard art, that is only worth parting it out. and taking it to scrap yard.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

I agree with you tbiker99. I think you got the short end from the RV company and that local fix it guy. I'm still trying to figure out how you are to blame when you did what the factory said Maybe if you explain the situation to the warranty deprartment they will take care of you.

Thanks for your service!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8313ss