Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Crack in fiberglass wall

Just noticed a crack in the exterior wall of our Rockwood Signature. Bought it in March of 2020. Has anybody delt with this? Not sure if the walls have any longer warranty than the standard one year Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6371.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	262715
Vinny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Just Tryin' to Help

Where is the crack? Can you give us a wider Pic?
2020....bummer!
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1050
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Crack in fiberglass wall

It’s at the bottom corner of the bedroom slide opening
Old 09-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
Just Tryin' to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny09 View Post
It’s at the bottom corner of the bedroom slide opening
One of our slides started to separate from the floor. Turned out it was not fastened properly to the floor. It did not create any cracks, but I've always felt it would have it we didn't repair it in time.
As far as a repair, I'd fix the problem that caused it first, then a little fiberglass repair would hopefully fix the issue and cover up the crack.
I wish you the best.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1050
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #5

Is there anything awry on the other side (inside) in the same area that might give you a hint. Seems worrisome in that some unseen structural members must have shifted to create the tension in the wall that caused the crack. This could be associated with the frame. My Rockwood had a cracked frame just behind the wheels that seems to have been the result of stress from 90 degree jack-knife turn-around maneuvers on narrow roads. I did have some bowing of the wall above that area though I can't say for sure that came from the frame flexing. I've since reinforced the frame.
Hclarkx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #6

Hi, I have a new 2021 Forester MBS 2401B. Bought it last July, 2020 and only 1,200 miles. Have not used it yet because of the problems. Just had second 12 volt fridge put in and new microwave, 1-2-3-5- buttons didn't work. Now dealer just ordered new transfer switch as it only worked when it felt like it. All this after about 8 smaller issues. On top of that, Yesterday just noticed 3 cracks in the exterior, one on each top corner of hot water heater about 4 and 6 inches long, and one on top corner of storage compartment about 6 inches long, all passenger side. Were hard to see because of color but yesterday seems like sun opened one crack up a little making it easy to see. Made me sick. Has never been used just back and forth for repairs. No Forester dealer here in Wisconsin so i bought it in Ohio which is about 600 miles. The other 600 is going back and forth for service here in Wi. all on paved roads. Anyone know what normal procedure for repairing this '' junk'' if I can call it that. Will contact dealer in Ohio tomorrow, thanks for any advice.
gmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny09 View Post
Just noticed a crack in the exterior wall of our Rockwood Signature. Bought it in March of 2020. Has anybody delt with this? Not sure if the walls have any longer warranty than the standard one year Attachment 262715
What model Rockwood Signature do you have?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Is there anything awry on the other side (inside) in the same area that might give you a hint. Seems worrisome in that some unseen structural members must have shifted to create the tension in the wall that caused the crack. This could be associated with the frame. My Rockwood had a cracked frame just behind the wheels that seems to have been the result of stress from 90 degree jack-knife turn-around maneuvers on narrow roads. I did have some bowing of the wall above that area though I can't say for sure that came from the frame flexing. I've since reinforced the frame.
Those frames, structures and tongues are not designed to handle a 90° jackknife, I always exercise the aviation rule: "no more than a 70° push or pull.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:12 AM   #9

This may not be just a simple crack due to a weakness in the fiberglass. It seems likely there's something deeper going on. Getting the dealer to look deeper and find the root cause is worth a try, though probably a lost cause. The dealer will probably camouflage the crack but I'd guess it will come back.

The root cause, if something other than a weakness in the cracked panel, isn't necessarily a major problem, but it could be. I.e., a missing weld or similar.

I'm in the process of repairing the undercarriage in my Signature Ultralite. I found welds that ran along one side of a joint, not touching the other side, thus doing nothing. Some welds were missing altogether. Others were just poor welds that cracked. My problems were aggravated by a considerable amount of off-road use (washboard and similar) over six years, but still, it seems there was no safety margin in the structural design.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Those frames, structures and tongues are not designed to handle a 90° jackknife, I always exercise the aviation rule: "no more than a 70° push or pull.
I've never heard this and it wasn't in my manual. Also, pulling at 70° instead of 90° only reduces the lateral force by 6%. Surely there's more margin than that!

But, FWIW, I only mentioned the frame problem above, I found undercarriage falling apart at the same time I saw the frame crack. I say "was" because I just spent a few hours under the RV with a MIG welder.

I did let the passenger 5er wheels drop off the pavement on a sweeping left bend in the road about a year ago. The pavement had been chewed away by others doing the same (even the fog line was gone). The wheels had to climb a 6" "curb" at a couple degree angle to get back on the roadway. By the time there was enough force to make this happen, the 5er swung violently across my lane into oncoming traffic. Fortunately it did so between cars and no collision resulted. I'd guess this event contributed to the weld problems (see above) and the crack in the frame more than the few 90° jack knife events. Incidentally, as noted above, the frame crack was behind the wheels so was likely due more to this event than the jack knife events as I indicated.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #11

Thank You
gmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

Fiberglass Crack

Great question! I have a 2011 Sierra 300RL with the same problem.
I took into repair the crack or at least to stop the crack from getting bigger.
They "CUT" the fiberglass straight down from the corner of the opening for slide. Then put a sleeve on it so that the pressure is removed. Looked pretty simple and good.

THe only problem is that the crack continues to grow even so slightly. So if there is another FIX please let us know.

Thank you, Larry

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #13

Can’t tell from the picture if the crack is within the slide or outside. But it seems to me that there is something pushing the wall out at that location. It could be a structural member inside the wall that was damaged during the incident. So I would wonder when the crack appeared in relation to the incident. If it was a short time then perhaps one could make a correlation between the two.
I would look to see what structure is inside the rig near the crack. Maybe there is a cabinet that got tweaked during the incident and the slide is rubbing or pushing on it when extending or retracting it. Just my 2 cents
jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
What model Rockwood Signature do you have?

2020 8288 sb

Tags
crack, fiberglass