Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

crack worst fathers day present!

Spent my fathers day relaxing and washed and waxed my 3006w. I found a crack by the rear door. Has any one had a crack appear hear. I've heard about the one by the slide out but not by the rear door. I need to find out who to contact. It is only 13 1/2 months old. Any help out there?
Camping is my hobby
doosterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130616_170736.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	33387

Here is the damage.
Camping is my hobby
Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Alleged curmudgeon

I just read this and see that nobody has replied to you. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I did some research on the forum this morning and located a couple of threads where Windjammer (and other Forest River V-nose trailers) were having some problems with cracks similar to yours, although they were mostly above slides and were all on trailers from model years 2011 and before.

I am not sure if he is still the guy to contact, but each of those threads pointed those with troubles to contact Doug Fought at Forest River. Here is the contact information contained for him in those threads:

Doug Fought, Warranty Manager
Flagstaff / Rockwood Divs. of Forest River
Phone 574-642-5165
Fax 574-343-5902
dfought@forestriverinc.com

Good luck.

Lee
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Just got off the phone with the dealer. FR IS going to fix the crack They will need to have it for 8 to 9 weeks. Now to find the best time to let her go for a bit.
Camping is my hobby
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Glad to hear that they will fix it. if it is out of warranty and they are being nice by fixing it, I would send it right away and cancel camping plans, but that is just me.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

We have a crack in the same place!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doosterhouse View Post
Just got off the phone with the dealer. FR IS going to fix the crack They will need to have it for 8 to 9 weeks. Now to find the best time to let her go for a bit.
My husband was washing our trailer just last week and noticed a crack in the exterior panel above the rear door of our 2012 Windjammer 3008W, much like the one you found on your trailer. I was so upset since we haven't used it much since buying it last year. We were relieved to find out we weren't the only ones having a problem and that Forest River is looking after repairs. We contacted them, sent photos as requested and they told us it would have to go back to the factory.

I was wondering if you have taken your trailer in for repairs yet and if so, what all did they do to fix the problem. We will probably be sending ours in around the end of September. It's certainly a disappointment to have this happen but we are thankful it will be fixed properly. We love our Windjammer!!
geridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Yes my trailer is there right now. It has been there for about a week. I dropped it off at the dealer on the 9th. They towed it from Napa, Ca to the factory. I had to take everything out of the trailer. I joked with the guy at the dealer that I assumed this is what a voluntary repo felt like. The trailer looked almost like the day I bought it. I even had to take hitch stuff and batteries off. I don't expect to see it until early to mid October. Just as well as I am knee deep in a kitchen remodel. I believe that they do a complete side replacement. I went through my dealer for the whole process and never once spoke with FR. I also included a short list of repair for them, we shall see if those get done. I expect they will follow thru with a top notch repair, may even get updated graphics out of the deal! Will let you know when I get it back.
Camping is my hobby
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #8

We got our 2012 Windjammer 3008W back from the factory just last week. We had the crack at the front of the larger slide. FR had the trailer just over 3 weeks including transportation back and forth to the factory. It looks like they did a really nice job. We haven't had any rain since we got it back and we go out for the first time over Labor Day weekend so we'll see how it goes. They replace the entire off door side wall and the work order says they added some "C" channel for reinforcement. Not sure where they placed it but I'm hoping my issues are behind me. The door side issue is news to me so I'll be keeping an eye out for this problem.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #9

We are in the process of taking all of our belongings out of our trailer and also waiting to find out when they want it for repairs. Our crack is over the rear door but if there are also problems around the slides on other trailers, I hope that any fixes for that issue will also be done on our trailer. I wouldn't want to go through this again.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #10

Our trailer just returned to our dealer in Napa on Monday. I received an email from them saying it was back but wouldn't be ready to be picked up for a week or two. No problem since I was not planning on it for another four weeks. I asked why that was and they said there was stuff they needed to address before it was good to leave their lot. I also found out that on the way to the factory the had a blow out on the left rear tire. Apparently it took all the dump valves with it along with the fender. FR fixed the valves there and replaced the tire along with a new fender. Then after it made it back to my dealer they said it did not pass their inspection. The tire FR put on did not match the other four. Second they forgot to put on the door shock for the rear door. Third the fender on the side that was repaired split. Fourth they wanted to replace the inside of the wheel well for me from the blow out. The dealer was able to get all this stuff covered under warranty. Napa RV took this on with FR before even letting me know about it. They rock. I really hope there are no scratches in the fiberglass from the blow out or parts flapping in the wind going down the road. I do kinda question who was transporting my TT. After I pick it up I will let you guys know how they did.
Camping is my hobby
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #11

Question about your tire issue when it went back to the factory. Before we sent ours back we had to complete a form that also listed some do's and don'ts and send it back to FR. One of the things on the form said they were not responsible for tire and brake issues during transport. Did you have the same form?

We had no issues like that so no big deal. Glad to hear, even though your dealer is taking it a step further, that at least it was taken care of.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #12

Yes I signed all the same stuff. The dealer got them warranty the tire and send them the correct one. Maybe its my dealership going the extra step. The other thing that you can use against that claim is how do you know the transport company was nice to it. For all I know he could have towed 75 mph the whole way there and hit every pot hole. The tires didn't even have two years on them.
Camping is my hobby
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

True, you don't know how they treat them hauling back and forth across the country. As for the tires themselves, I found factory tires not to be of much quality. We had three tire issues in just over the first year of ownership and less than 7500 miles. I replaced them all with Load D tires and my spare is a Load E. It's the oddball because that was all that was available while sitting on I-80 in central Nebraska.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

Very true. I will at some point get load range E tires for it. They are just better. But you got to give credit to the dealership for catching it and getting FR to fix it. Although I didn't think the Duro tires filled with nitro fill got that bad of a rating.
Camping is my hobby
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Well I finally got her back last Wednesday. As soon as I pulled up I noticed a dent on the curb side up front by the awning arm. It was in the metal trim. The dealership started replacing that. Then I noticed more trim that was damaged. They fixed all the trim as I watched. I noticed a blind inside broke as well. They were able to fix that as well. The radio was still messed up even though FR said it worked fine. So that's still on the dealer list. I got her home and went to lock the door open and I found a patched hole in the brand new side. I could not believe what FR did. Looks like someone we to put the latch on and drilled a hole then noticed he was over to far. He patched it with putty. It even has spider cracks all around it. I am pissed. I just can believe it all the crap that went down trying to get a repair done. Just trying to figure out my next move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131104_172338.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	42283  
Camping is my hobby
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Well I finally got her back last Wednesday. As soon as I pulled up I noticed a dent on the curb side up front by the awning arm. It was in the metal trim. The dealership started replacing that. Then I noticed more trim that was damaged. They fixed all the trim as I watched. I noticed a blind inside broke as well. They were able to fix that as well. The radio was still messed up even though FR said it worked fine. So that's still on the dealer list. I got her home and went to lock the door open and I found a patched hole in the brand new side. I could not believe what FR did. Looks like someone we to put the latch on and drilled a hole then noticed he was over to far. He patched it with putty. It even has spider cracks all around it. I am pissed. I just can believe it all the crap that went down trying to get a repair done. Just trying to figure out my next move.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #17

The thought has crossed my mind. The dealer wants to have a body shop fix it. I am not sure I am down with that. I was suppose to have had a brand new side put on not a new one that they damaged. That was the deal.
Camping is my hobby
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #18

Don't think Perry can help you anymore, but be sure to document and furnish pics and text right back to the factory. That repair was lacking putty and sand paper. Pretty sloppy!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #19

I just can't believe we yes I can. The worker should have admitted the mistake and they should have patched it at the factory. They had the trailer almost the full 9 weeks. Just frustrating. The funny part is this hole more visible than the crack it went in for.
Camping is my hobby
Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
I just can't believe we yes I can. The worker should have admitted the mistake and they should have patched it at the factory. They had the trailer almost the full 9 weeks. Just frustrating. The funny part is this hole more visible than the crack it went in for.
That's totally unacceptable for a repair job. I'd be frustrated, too! Oh wait - I am frustrated. Our trailer was supposed to be in for service on October 14th to have the side panel replaced due to a crack above the door and it's still sitting in our dealer's yard We had our first snowfall yesterday and if it doesn't get picked up and back to us soon, we'll have a problem finding a place to store it for the rest of the winter. It was back on August 13th that they said it would need to come back to the factory for repairs! Now they are saying "it must have fallen through the cracks", (no pun intended).