Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #61

this is for 50 amp. i'm not sure if there is a 30 amp version.

somehow i broke the plastic ring on our 50 amp furrion shore power cable. i ordered a replacement metal ring from them. it is much easier to use than the oem plastic ring.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightconn View Post
Just not sure how you would use a smartplug on an RV. Is it on the RV side? Why are you unpluging it?
Well, unless you want your power cord dragging behind you when you leave the CG, you have to unplug it...

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1968 View Post
This is an alternative way of fixing this problem without spending hundreds on a smart plug: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDY3KZJ
Thanks for this. I just ordered one and it will be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Well, unless you want your power cord dragging behind you when you leave the CG, you have to unplug it...

Thank you Captian Obvious. My question related to the fact that I don't have any screw on connectors, nor does any shore power post I have ever seen in an RV Park. I had a boat with 2 30 amp connectors. they were the type that you push in, turn, then screw the cheap plastic threaded ring and this was on the boat and shore power. Like I said, I have never seen this ring on shore power nor is there anything like it in my RV. Do most RV's have the marine type threaded ring on them?
flightconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you Captian Obvious. My question related to the fact that I don't have any screw on connectors, nor does any shore power post I have ever seen in an RV Park. I had a boat with 2 30 amp connectors. they were the type that you push in, turn, then screw the cheap plastic threaded ring and this was on the boat and shore power. Like I said, I have never seen this ring on shore power nor is there anything like it in my RV. Do most RV's have the marine type threaded ring on them?
I have also never seen it on the shore power post. I don't know where that came from.

Yes, we are talking about the end that connects to the RV itself. I don't know if I would say most have it, but many do. Looks like this (even though this happens to be an adapter):

Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	253254
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I have also never seen it on the shore power post. I don't know where that came from.

Yes, we are talking about the end that connects to the RV itself. I don't know if I would say most have it, but many do. Looks like this (even though this happens to be an adapter):

Attachment 253254
I didn't say anyone said it was on post, I was asking because I don't have anything like that in my Class A and have not seen one on a post so wondering where they are. I am now assuming some have them on their units and I am guessing outside like on a boat, would this be correct? I have a very solid (hard to unplug) plug inside my unit and cord runs out a hole in the bottom so I am guessing this is nothing I need.
flightconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #67

Quote:
I didn't say anyone said it was on post, I was asking because I don't have anything like that in my Class A and have not seen one on a post so wondering where they are. I am now assuming some have them on their units and I am guessing outside like on a boat, would this be correct? I have a very solid (hard to unplug) plug inside my unit and cord runs out a hole in the bottom so I am guessing this is nothing I need.
RV Manufacturers just started putting these on trailers the past 5 years or so, Seen them mostly on 5th wheels and some higher end Motorhomes, but more and more travel trailers with 30 Amp service are coming out with them. My 2014 had the pull out power cord, and a 2019 I looked at casually had the twist on. Same model trailer.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
Has any one had a problem with the power cable cross treading ? It seems to be a issue on some of the other Rockwood Mini sites. What are other people doing to prevent this ? Spending $150.00 on a smart plug is to outrageous.
I start counter clockwise then go clockwise. Helps square you up.
snapcap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #69

Quote:
I start counter clockwise then go clockwise. Helps square you up.
Don't let anyone non-mechanical tighten the ring... if someone gets it cocked and twists it hard, it is really tough to get it right from then on... some people just do not have the correct feel for getting these things threaded correctly...

any spray on light lube works well... and the ring never needs to be really tight...

wipe the threads on both sides with a damp cloth every now and then to keep the threads clean...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #70

I just installed the amazon lock ring and it works very nice, locks it on very secure. Installation was not easy on my cord. I had to cut off the old ring and used a 3" piece of pipe to push it on with my vice, there was no way it was going on otherwise. Worth while though.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #71

I have the same issue on my Geo Pro. It is a slow process to get it connected without ruining the threads. I will look into the smartplug
CrescentSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:55 PM   #72

Used to happen every other hookup. I found that by lifting the cord a bit before starting the ring greatly reduces the chances. Seems there's just enough sag from the cord wt. to not allow the ring to start straight.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power