Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Day / Night Shades worth it?

My wife and I have just ordered a 2608BS.
We got the thermal pane windows/ We were told that due to the double glass and the darker reflective glass coating that people wouldn't be able to see in when it's light outside.
Is this true? Or should we have ordered the day/night for privacy for those campsites that stuff RVs together like sardines in a can?
We haven't had a trailer in 20 years so we're kind of nubes here. Help?
SalteShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:56 AM   #2

Myself I would get the day/night shades regardless of the tint on the windows. Dark windows are great in the day time but the effect of blocking reverses at night when the inside provides back lighting. JMHO (I have day/nigh and dark tinted windows)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #3

Yes. Next question …
Old 11-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #4

Really like our day/night shades,
would reccomend.
Red Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #5

Beware that they break fairly easily. We restrung one and the big front window shade needs restringing now.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #6

MCD. Would not want a rig without them.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

I even ordered them for the bedroom windows
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

We have day/night shades and have had to restring most of them. It's a pain in the....fingers, lol. I would personally have room darkener roller shades installed.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
We have day/night shades and have had to restring most of them. It's a pain in the....fingers, lol. I would personally have room darkener roller shades installed.
Exactly. We will replace our big front window shade with a roller shade.
As the others break I will replace the cord with fishing downrigger cord. Very abrasion and friction resistant. Good luck to all who love their day night shades.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
As others have said, they do break. When the first one broke, the dealer replaced it with a pleated night shade. Wish I'd have kept it. Lots less hassle than pulling one down and then the other. You can't see in through the tinted glass any way. When I bought the spool of string, I bought a larger Dia. and enough to do additional shade. Hardest part was removing plugs at end of the tube where the strings criss-cross. All in all these day-night shades are OK when they work, but if you have another option to put in go for it
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #11

Are they roller shades, or pleated blinds?

I have never head of strings being used with roller shades but have with day/night blinds.

Now we have the day night roller shades in our Cedar Creek and my DW loves them. We have signal pane windows but are tinted dark so, you can't see in during the day time. We will use the screen shade to help block the sunlight from coming in and sometimes even the night time shades. This will help with sunlight intrusion and heat in the very extreme day time temps when both A/C units are on too cool the trailer.

We will never buy another trailer without the roller day/night shades. If you have pleated day/night shades these still let pinhole light to penetrate into the trailer through the openings to let the string pass thru.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #12

Yes. Great to have.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #13

Day Night shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
MCD. Would not want a rig without them.
I totally agree. Worth the money.
MCD products are top of line.
The day n night shades that come with rigs are worthless if you want to really keep out light.
Heading to Alaska in 2022. The MCD are must haves.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #14

I have replaced my day/night shades with the Top Down/Bottom Up cordless shades from Home Depot and Menard's. We used the light filtering shades in most of the trailer and they work very well, but, for the bedroom, since at night with the light on, a shadow is created across the shade (and you can tell someone is undressing) we went with a Top Down/Bottom Up blackout shade on that window which doesn't allow the shadows to come through. We have the tinted windows, too, but, that only worked for daytime. At night you can see right in, so you need the day/night type of shade to block out the view at night. However, those strings do break, as everyone else has said. I replaced the shades as they broke, but, if you are ordering new, just get the cordless shades yourself and put them in, or get what comes with the unit and replace them, whatever is cheaper. One thing, though, if you decide to go shadeless and do your own, make sure you still get the valences with the RV and not just plane windows with no trim.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #15

During the day I want all the sunshine I can get in the trailer. I don't want anything blocking it - even a 'day' shade. I am dressed and don't care if people can see in. At night I may or may not be dressed and don't want anyone to see in.

I installed plain roller shades with metal bead pulls that compliment the wall color.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalteShaker View Post
We got the thermal pane windows/ We were told that due to the double glass and the darker reflective glass coating that people wouldn't be able to see in when it's light outside.
Is this true?
It's true on our REV. We can see out, but no one can see in as long as the lights are OFF inside the unit. Some of our friends complained that they can't see movement in the rig so they don't know if we're 'home'.
At night we have blackout shades that keep people from looking in. Personally, I like it better than day/night shades that we had in our trailer.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaminaround View Post
Beware that they break fairly easily. We restrung one and the big front window shade needs restringing now.
X2

We bought a restringing kit for several day nights broke string. The new strings broke too. We wound up replacing several with drapes and/or venetian blinds. This was on our '08 Cardinal, so the quality of day-night shades may have improved. Our new ('18) non FR 5er has shades that seem to be made better. So far no problems. Fingers crossed.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #18

Most definitely I wish my rv had them. I have put reflectix or foam core boards inside windows for blackout and security purposes. If you stay in rv parks, many have very bright security lighting and that shines through your windows. As a solo female traveler I don’t want anyone to see me through my windows. Even though they are considered “blackout”, I once had a creep watching me through my uncovered window on the coach door in a tightly spaced rv park. (I now cover it with reflectix too.)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #19

Day/night shades worth it?

We have had many travel trailers all have had day/night blinds. We have tinted windows too. Love them. Also have never had any issues with strings breaking.
Not sure how rough some are with them.
Racefan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #20

mtnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
. I have put reflectix or foam core boards inside windows for blackout and security purposes. If you stay in rv parks, many have very bright security lighting and that shines through your windows. As a solo female traveler I don’t want anyone to see me through my windows. Even though they are considered “blackout”, I once had a creep watching me through my uncovered window on the coach door in a tightly spaced rv park. (I now cover it with reflectix too.)
mtnlvr, Those blackout windows don't work well if the outside light is lower than the inside light. Actually, they don't work at all at night, as you've found out. We have blackout roller shades that came with the rig and they work well to keep anyone from looking into the rig. They look something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Springblinds-...NrPXRydWU&th=1
We had day/night shades on our trailer and the ones we had didn't keep out the light as well as the blackout shades.