Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

Dexter Axle on 8362

We are in the process of purchasing a new 8362 MBR from Aloha RV in Bernalillo, NM. As part of the deal we are having the trailer raised due to a challenging driveway and also installing an auto leveling system. While doing this the shop discovered missing nuts on the Dexter axle requiring the axles be replaced. The wheels were loose and would have fallen off shortly after delivery. I write this in praise of the shop, disgust with Dexter and thankful we were not driving 65 mph and having the wheel separate from the trailer. I would encourage recent purchasers have their axles checked.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #2

Unless something changed in the last few years your issue is with Rockwood, not Dexter. When I toured the factory Rockwood attached the axles to the LCI frames, and Rockwood mounted the wheels on the axle. It was towed by a contractor over 1400 miles from Indiana?
61Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
Unless something changed in the last few years your issue is with Rockwood, not Dexter. When I toured the factory Rockwood attached the axles to the LCI frames, and Rockwood mounted the wheels on the axle. It was towed by a contractor over 1400 miles from Indiana?
The problem is with the assembly of the axle by Dexter, not the install.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
Does Rockwood install springs? Guessing not and the axles arrive as an assembly, axle and matching springs, that THEN Rockwood installs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
D W

"Missing Nuts", on the axles? Help us understand which nuts were missing.

My curiosity is peaked.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #6

Backing plates on both axles had been left with one nut on each axle on the drivers side. It made the 1400 miles by the grace of God! I am neither the person who discovered the problem nor am I climbing under to repair. I was told of the problem, am pleased It was discovered and merely want to alert others to a potential problem. Service Manager advised all their new rigs will be inspected before sale. He said the wheels were loose despite tight lug nuts. I hope this clarifies my rambling😉
Old 11-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
Backing plates on both axles had been left with one nut on each axle on the drivers side. It made the 1400 miles by the grace of God! I am neither the person who discovered the problem nor am I climbing under to repair. I was told of the problem, am pleased It was discovered and merely want to alert others to a potential problem. Service Manager advised all their new rigs will be inspected before sale. He said the wheels were loose despite tight lug nuts. I hope this clarifies my rambling😉
Puzzled why the backing plate nuts falling off (all but one each would require replacement of the axles. At best only the nuts would need to be replaced (just standard hex nuts) and at the worst, the backing plates would need to be replaced. Were the actual axles themselves damaged, perhaps the flange holes damaged?

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #8

There was damage and both axles have to be replaced. We wish they would get in so we can take delivery of our new rig.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Puzzled why the backing plate nuts falling off (all but one each would require replacement of the axles. At best only the nuts would need to be replaced (just standard hex nuts) and at the worst, the backing plates would need to be replaced. Were the actual axles themselves damaged, perhaps the flange holes damaged?
I'm guessing this is something you have to see. I get the part of the backing plates missing nuts, but the part of the lug nuts being tight, but the wheels being loose would indicate to me that the spindle nuts were loose?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:46 PM   #10

DW

I have said pretty well what I understand to be the case. I have not worked on it but am buying it. I was told the damage caused requires new axles and our obtaining the rig is contingent on their arrival. I posted this as if it could happen to me it could happen to others. I imagine it is a simple matter grabbing hold of the wheel and see if there is any play in it, I dunno. If so get it looked at by all means. I know you want to analyze this failure but I cannot provide much more than this.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
DW

I have said pretty well what I understand to be the case. I have not worked on it but am buying it. I was told the damage caused requires new axles and our obtaining the rig is contingent on their arrival. I posted this as if it could happen to me it could happen to others. I imagine it is a simple matter grabbing hold of the wheel and see if there is any play in it, I dunno. If so get it looked at by all means. I know you want to analyze this failure but I cannot provide much more than this.
Play in the wheel would indicate bad or poorly adjusted bearings. This could result in spindle damage and axle replacement would be required.

Backing plates are separate from the wheels and if the nuts came loose and are missing, the plate would be loose but you wouldn't know this by just trying to move the wheel.

Like DW said, one would have to see the problem, this is just to explain that there are two different problems. One could definitely cause axle damage, the other just a remote possibility. Very remote as the backing plate is indexed on the spindle by it's center hole and the bolts are there to keep the backing plate from rotating as brakes are applied. Nuts are only there to keep the plate from rattling and making noise as the brake shoes would "bottom out" in the drum long before the bolts could come out of the axle flange.

FWIW, If I were purchasing a used trailer the purchase would be contingent on an inspection of the Wheel Bearings and Spindles. Most other issues are easier to find by visual inspection. Bearings and spindles, and resulting axle damage, are impossible to spot short of removal. While at it, pack the bearings for the trip home if good.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 12-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #12

Still no axles from Dexter. We had hoped for warmer weather this winter but nothing. I know things are slow in the supply chain but is Dexter really that slow?
Old 12-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #13

I had to replace an axle on my 2021 Rockwood fifth wheel. It took 6 weeks to get the axle. Then the wrong axle height was ordered, another 4 weeks waiting now. Good luck.
toddj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:03 PM   #14

It is time to drink a beer to the Rockwood that I could not buy because the axles were bad. The replacement axles arrived yesterday. We will become official Rockwood owners on the 6th of January. Almost time to head south and get warm.

Tags
axle, dexter