Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Diamond Plate for front of 2306

Hey all. I just joined the forum. Been doing extensive research on new campers. Likely upgrading from Jayco x17z hybrid (kids are growing) to the 2306.

This forum has been extremely helpful with a few of the other questions I've had so far, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience or insight with the following. I see diamond plates on most other travel trailers that I'm looking at, and it seems the 2306 doesn't do that. Has anyone added diamond plate to the lower section of their unit? I assume you could have some cut or otherwise fabricated to fit. Would it add significant weight, or are there any other issues? Would it void warranties etc???

I really like the interior layout, but am still trying to get over the lack of aerodynamics of the front end. I suppose that's unavoidable to a certain degree when towing a box that weighs over a ton, regardless of the shape of the front.

Any input or ideas here?

I have a spreadsheet comparing the Camp Lite 21 BHS, Launch 19BHS, Apex Nano, Jayco x213, and Rockwood 2306 (Flagstaff 23lb). The 2306 has the lowest indicated dry weight, which is a primary factor for me. The Camp Lite is just outside my price range, but I could probably afford it if I got ridiculously obsessed. I'm rambling.... Diamond plate was my question.

Thanks again!
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

We have the diamond plate on our 2504S. But when you get up close, I don't think it is actually real diamond plate. Seems kind of plastic-ish, sort of a "faux-diamond plate". It looks good, and I'm sure it still does the job. Personally, I would think you could go to Lowes/HD and get the materials, and then bond it to the trailer with some kind of auto grade adhesive with little difficulty. Might need to use a rolling pin of some kind to really get it on there good and prevent air bubbles and what not. Good luck with the project if you do end up making the purchase and then trying to add the diamond plate after.

The other thing to consider, instead of adding the diamond plate, is to purchase and install a diamond plate "pick up bed box" across the front of the trailer on the tongue. I see many trailers with that. The box would then take the impact of any road debris

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

I added 1/16" thick aluminum diamond plate to our last camper. I used an aluminum carpet strip for the edge treatment.

From the looks of the front of that unit, it wouldn't be hard at all to add a sheet of thin diamond plate. A good adhesive would easily hold it on the unit.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Thanks. I was actually just online checking out some close-up pics. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it actually looks like a painted or textured plate on the lower portion of the unit in this pic.

New 2016 Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 Travel Trailer For Sale 1251142 | Camping World Of Cincinnati
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

We just picked up a 2017, 2306 last thursday and went camping this past weekend for the first time in it... Anyway, ours has a painted diamond plate material on the lower front of the unit....see the attached pictures. It is the brown area on the lower front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13063116_10208137025276751_1015349917430195643_o.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	106300  
Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Thanks! I thought so...

Is this your first camper, or did you replace something?

I ask because I'm going from the x17z Jayco to this, and wonder if the length feels hugely different. Or rather, how much bigger it feels.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Hey all. I just joined the forum. Been doing extensive research on new campers. Likely upgrading from Jayco x17z hybrid (kids are growing) to the 2306.

This forum has been extremely helpful with a few of the other questions I've had so far, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience or insight with the following. I see diamond plates on most other travel trailers that I'm looking at, and it seems the 2306 doesn't do that. Has anyone added diamond plate to the lower section of their unit? I assume you could have some cut or otherwise fabricated to fit. Would it add significant weight, or are there any other issues? Would it void warranties etc???

I really like the interior layout, but am still trying to get over the lack of aerodynamics of the front end. I suppose that's unavoidable to a certain degree when towing a box that weighs over a ton, regardless of the shape of the front.

Any input or ideas here?

I have a spreadsheet comparing the Camp Lite 21 BHS, Launch 19BHS, Apex Nano, Jayco x213, and Rockwood 2306 (Flagstaff 23lb). The 2306 has the lowest indicated dry weight, which is a primary factor for me. The Camp Lite is just outside my price range, but I could probably afford it if I got ridiculously obsessed. I'm rambling.... Diamond plate was my question.

Thanks again!
Most of the diamond plate used on campers is extremely lightweight so doesn't add that much weight.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Our 2013 2306 came with, ahem, "diamond plate" on the front. Better than straight fiberglass, but not by much.
Caught something on the way home from a weekend trip last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461775285903.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	106307  
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #9

I have a 2016 23LB and it also has the painted diamond plate.
As far as replacing another camper (I know the question was for maccve) I replaced a Jayco hybrid that leaked like a sieve. I think ours was a Jayco 19 something. I have tried to forget everything I can about that camper. We really like the 23LB. I highly recommend the murphy bed option.
This is our 4th camper (one was a pop-up) and is the largest of the 4, but it doesn't feel or tow any different to me than the Jayco we had. I'm not a fan of large campers for our style of camping. This was as large as we would go and we are very happy with it.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Thanks! I thought so...

Is this your first camper, or did you replace something?

I ask because I'm going from the x17z Jayco to this, and wonder if the length feels hugely different. Or rather, how much bigger it feels.
This is our second camper....traded in a Palomino Traverse Sequoia Pop-Up...it was a pretty big pop-up with a slide-out. This definitely feels bigger than the pop-up, but I doubt you would feel much different that the X17Z. We installed a WD hitch and anti-sway and it towed really nice behind our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder! The wind was the biggest thing that I noticed...when it was at our back, I hardly noticed it back there...except when going up hill!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

Amazon has an assortment of sizes for aluminum diamond plate. A 4' x10' piece is 15 lbs, so no significant weight.Not really that expensive.

Robot Check

Some of the better cargo trailers have the side panels glued together with a
3-M tape. This tape works and looks so much better than screws. Our 14 yr old cargo trailer was constructed with the 3-M tape holding the panels. No rusty screw, no ripples. This 3-M tape is also available on line. The below is a liquid bonding panel adhesive.

Robot Check
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

Why diamond plate?

my question is why diamond plate? One option that I have seen and believe it to be better looking than diamond plate and appears to be stronger and more flexible is spray on bed liner material. It comes in a wide range of colors and textures, adheres to just about anything out there, absorbs impacts, many times without deforming, is easy to touch up, and seems to last and last. Just another option that doesn't weigh very much. Happy camping!
flyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

Great point, and idea... I think I'm just using that term (diamond plate) to describe the function I'm concerned about. Any material that might work is worth considering. Just didn't want to have the front end get beat up. I live in a fairly well paved area, but already have 8 reservations this summer and plan on putting some miles on it. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #14
KnP

What about mud flaps on the TV?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
What about mud flaps on the TV?
Mudflaps at the wheel wells offer some advantage. The full width rear bumper mudflap like the hula skirt would work the best. We have to consider that other vehicles are also contributing to flying road debris. It's the most common cause for broken windshields.

I just took some measurements. Our TV has OEM plastic fitted mud guards on all four wheel wells and we have step rails. The rear guards have 12" clearance to the pavement, a considerable gap for rocks pitched off the rear tires. We tow a cargo trailer with a 16" diamond plate across the lower front. The trailer has one small, but noticeable, rock dent above the diamond plate. Not bad for pulling a 7' wide wall for 36,000+ miles over a 10 yr period. That's including a lot of construction zones and some gravel roads.

I do believe that the diamond plate has done a remarkable job of protecting the bottom 16". Considering the trailer frame is 12" off the road surface, the diamond plate it protecting the trajectory zone of anything off the rear TV tires.

I refinished the trailer a year ago. There were a lot of minute chips across the entire front, probably from bugs. The only real way to prevent this is to park it in a garage. And that's not going to happen.

Our 2500TS has mudflaps that are not as wide as the duallys. We tow a 23' boat trailer. Our goal this year is to change out to wider mudflaps to protect the underside of the RV and a hulla skirt flap across the rear bumper to protect the boat or future toad.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman1 View Post
my question is why diamond plate? One option that I have seen and believe it to be better looking than diamond plate and appears to be stronger and more flexible is spray on bed liner material. :
Palomino Solaires with the Eclipse package have that spray on bed liner-like stuff. Looks good, seems it would serve the same purpose as diamond plate.
But, based on several reports, it is abbrasive enough to tear a cover to shreds in a very short timeframe.
Just food for thought.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
KnP

I believe Rihno Liner is more rubbery with less abrasive grit than LineX or Herculiner.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Also the spray-on bed liner material has a habit of fading after a few years.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
KnP

Some have UV protection. I have a Geo Tracker painted Herculiner Red and is ok for a single coat, 6 years and never cared for the exterior. One thing that I noticed... i do not see a dent from hail and that thing went from "hail" and back several times.

Tags