Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
And he is a computer programmer, so it's not as if he is expected to be versed in the proper use of construction materials :-) I bet a lot of men do not know the strong orientation of a block, not just him.
Hey! I'm a retired systems analyst (computer programmer) and I knew that about concrete block placement! Computer geeks do get away from the keyboard and do other things ya know
But I did grow up on a farm, where you learn all kinds of things, so I'm sure that helps....

Your statement is like me saying engineers only design things, but have no clue how to use them, or if they even work in RL
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Hey! I'm a retired systems analyst (computer programmer) and I knew that about concrete block placement! Computer geeks do get away from the keyboard and do other things ya know
But I did grow up on a farm, where you learn all kinds of things, so I'm sure that helps....

Your statement is like me saying engineers only design things, but have no clue how to use them, or if they even work in RL
Your engineer statement is 99.999% factual truth..... And I'm sitting here at my desk in the Technical Services Engineering Dept at a nuclear power plant.... Most engineers are worthless slugs of dead weight, refuse to go into the power plant and have no interest in seeing the real world problems. There are some good ones... But plenty are dead weight and your just happy that they will at times perform in a supporting function.

I'm NDE..... Some would say non destructive testing, I say not a damn engineer.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Your engineer statement is 99.999% factual truth..... And I'm sitting here at my desk in the Technical Services Engineering Dept at a nuclear power plant.... Most engineers are worthless slugs of dead weight, refuse to go into the power plant and have no interest in seeing the real world problems. There are some good ones... But plenty are dead weight and your just happy that they will at times perform in a supporting function.

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Most engineers are worthless slugs of dead weight, refuse to go into the power plant and have no interest in seeing the real world problems. There are some good ones... But plenty are dead weight and your just happy that they will at times perform in a supporting function.

This is often the world as viewed by technical people who aren't engineers.

To them solving a problem is often as easy as "taking a dump". Do your business (get the job done) and then take care of the "Paperwork".

If we did it like most engineers we'd all be "wiping" first and "business" second.

Saw this when I did some consulting for PACCAR. By noon the first day I'd identified the problem, gave the engineers a solution, but it took them another month to figure out how to put it all down on paper, create drawings, and write tech bulletins. Solution merely involved re-torquing a series of bolts on the frame of an early Kenworth truck model that had a torque steer problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #25
Working at retired:D

Ditto blocks on side

I’ve been placing blocks on the side for several years at seasonal site. Obviously not a weight issue, just a stabilizer. However there is another benefit to placing blocks on the side, bugs! Ants, bees, wasps, hornets... love to make their home in those closed in places. I’ve had ants and wasps migrate and take up residence inside my campers. I certainly don’t want to give them an easy path.
tx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #26

It’s all personal choice.

One thing I suggest, no matter the method. Get some, not all, weight off the tires/suspension. I discovered while changing a tire, the jack taking the weight off the suspension made the trailer super steady. That’s without any other stabilizers down!

Taking weight off the tires might be good if you plan to keep them in 2 years.

Now if it’s just one year those screw style from amazon look EZ to use, might even keep them for longer trips. For multi year, cinder blocks are the standard.

Whatever you do, don’t twist the frame. As thick as the beams are, jacking at an unexpected spot can twist it. I know somebody had slide issues until. They removed the twist.

Just my .02 !
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #27

What I do has basically been covered, but I will outline it anyway.
I placed a 2x10 under each pair of wheels, which required a bit of shimming with leveling blocks to get it right. After that I used the regular stabilizers on the corners, and added a total of 6 additional screw jack style of jack stands by Camco. One on either side of the door, then another behind the axel (my unit is 30' long), the others are placed across from them on the opposite side of the trailer. I placed a small cut off piece of plywood on each to stop the jack's from slipping, but also have something in there with a bit of give so I could really snug them up solid. I also had left over 20x20 patio stones from a renovation at our house that I used under each of the jacks.

Our trailer is rock solid, and a giant improvement over what it was like initially. Friends that stayed when we first got the spot came back near the end of the season, they commented right away about the difference.
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote