Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Different Stablizing when Seasonal?

We're going to do a seasonal site this year for the first time, to make life a little easier while doing construction at my house.

Looking at other seasonal campers over the years, I would often see trailers on CMU blocks or other setups. Is there a better setup for a longer term stay for less movement on the travel trailer?
I considered placing CMU underneath but I've read here about a couple blowouts, so... maybe not, haha!
I typically just use PT 4x4 blocks and have no problem reaching them with my stabilizer jacks, and combine that with a chock between the dual axle tires - it has some movement but not much - should I just stick with that setup?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

I've talked to some folks who seasonal camp and they like to add a concrete block, then a stabilizer jack to the frame to keep the jack as short as reasonable.

Most folks I talked to did 8 total, 2 at the front, 2 at the rear, 2 a couple feet in front of the axles and 2 a couple feet behind the axles.

Camco makes lite weight aluminum ones while EZ Lift makes heavy duty steel ones. I think I am going to grab 4 of the lite weight ones for ease of handling and reduced cargo payload. No one I spoke to was unhappy using a simple hand crank trailer stabilizer like this, all I spoke to said that it helps, but no one ever claimed that any amount of insanity with blocks/stabilizers would make it feel dead solid like your real house.

https://www.amazon.com/EAZ-LIFT-4886...S11DEBFMKPB1YC

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

The Camco aluminum ones....

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia.../dp/B000760FWU

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Team

We just stack the blocks up to the frame and then add wood and wood shims to tighten it up. No need for a stabilizer jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	223162  
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We just stack the blocks up to the frame and then add wood and wood shims to tighten it up. No need for a stabilizer jack.
X2
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #6

I place planks under the wheels to prevent them from sinking into the ground. I then stack solid concrete blocks up to a couple of inches from the leveling jacks. I will drop the tongue 3-4" down from level and set the rear jacks. I run the tongue slightly above level and set the front jacks. Run the tongue back down to place the weight on the front leveling jacks. This removes most of the bounce from the trailer.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #7

Get (4) of the 3 Ton automotive jack stands from Harbor Freight. About $20 pair.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
It is much stronger to stack blocks with cells facing up and down
Old 02-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #9

Correct wallywizard.

Technically, structural engineers are taught that turned the wrong way as above, they have 0 strength. I have seen single blocks fail as a trailer tongue block.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
I've talked to some folks who seasonal camp and they like to add a concrete block, then a stabilizer jack to the frame to keep the jack as short as reasonable.

Most folks I talked to did 8 total, 2 at the front, 2 at the rear, 2 a couple feet in front of the axles and 2 a couple feet behind the axles.

Camco makes lite weight aluminum ones while EZ Lift makes heavy duty steel ones. I think I am going to grab 4 of the lite weight ones for ease of handling and reduced cargo payload. No one I spoke to was unhappy using a simple hand crank trailer stabilizer like this, all I spoke to said that it helps, but no one ever claimed that any amount of insanity with blocks/stabilizers would make it feel dead solid like your real house.

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	223198
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
years ago working with a person who sets up mobile homes The concrete blacks are on the side the strength is to place then with the holes up and down
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
years ago working with a person who sets up mobile homes The concrete blacks are on the side the strength is to place then with the holes up and down
In his defense.... He is not asking for any strength at all from his improperly used blocks. He is asking them to stop deflection of the frame/suspension with just a few pounds of force being applied. And he is a computer programmer, so it's not as if he is expected to be versed in the proper use of construction materials :-) I bet a lot of men do not know the strong orientation of a block, not just him.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
In his defense.... He is not asking for any strength at all from his improperly used blocks. He is asking them to stop deflection of the frame/suspension with just a few pounds of force being applied. And he is a computer programmer, so it's not as if he is expected to be versed in the proper use of construction materials :-) I bet a lot of men do not know the strong orientation of a block, not just him.

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	223213
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 AM   #14

I am letting other s know they are placed wrong I see it so many times
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I am letting other s know they are placed wrong I see it so many times
Post number 8 explained that LOL.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:

I use 2 of these under the rear end frame on my Crusader. Really helps the bounce and wiggle. My wife likes to sleep in so she really likes them as I am an early riser, and the dog needs to go out, etc. I don't do much else beyond the auto-leveling system. Blocking up under the front jacks might help as some say, I just don't like carrying a bunch of blocks around.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I've posted that pic before and this exact same discussion took place.

Basically, you are correct in that I'm not looking for the blocks to hold a ton of weight. They essentially aren't much more than stabilizers.

But I put them with the holes on the side on purpose because I want the most surface area on the ground so they don't sink as much. And they do tend to sink a little after a few years.

It's also easier to put the wood shims in on the flat surface instead of the side with the holes. In this picture I have an extra half-block on there and another piece of wood but sometimes the blocks fit perfectly under the trailer and you just need a single shim. Trying to get it on the small area where it's actually contacting the frame would be a PITA.

Also in my defense, the first time I learned this trick was when we had our first TT delivered to our seasonal site. The guy that delivered them also set them up and put the blocks down for us. He has years of experience and he put them flat side down as well.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I've posted that pic before and this exact same discussion took place.

Basically, you are correct in that I'm not looking for the blocks to hold a ton of weight. They essentially aren't much more than stabilizers.

But I put them with the holes on the side on purpose because I want the most surface area on the ground so they don't sink as much. And they do tend to sink a little after a few years.

It's also easier to put the wood shims in on the flat surface instead of the side with the holes. In this picture I have an extra half-block on there and another piece of wood but sometimes the blocks fit perfectly under the trailer and you just need a single shim. Trying to get it on the small area where it's actually contacting the frame would be a PITA.

Also in my defense, the first time I learned this trick was when we had our first TT delivered to our seasonal site. The guy that delivered them also set them up and put the blocks down for us. He has years of experience and he put them flat side down as well.
Agreed... no harm in what you did.

Also agree the strength in the block is the other way but you are not trying to hold up the weight of the R/V nor a two story building so placing them as you have is perfectly fine and they DO provide more surface area in that position.

Now... if you were removing the wheels/tires and expecting the blocks to support the ENTIRE weight of the R/V, then that is a horse of a different color.

For simply STABILIZING... they will do the job just fine as they are.

It is good to see though there are now "cement block police" looking out for those of us on this forum.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #19

Maybe you could have the best of both worlds. Buy the concrete cap blocks that are the same size as the concrete block, but 2" or 4" thick. Put the flat caps on the ground and the top of the stack, and place your concrete blocks holes up to use their strength. And there it is!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-8...N1AN/206125462
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #20
Site Team

The next time any of the blocks crack will be the first time. I'm not too worried about it.