Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Disaster with Windjammer 2715 vs

We purchased our 2015 Windjammer in January. We have camped a total of 11 nights and driven around 250 miles. Saturday a tire blew on the TT, causing it to fishtail. The truck turned over completely and the trailer turned on it's side. I was trapped in the wreckage. Fortunately, neither my husband, our dog nor myself have any serious injuries (only cuts and bruises). We are blessed beyond measure to be alive. However, we can't imagine that tire blowing. This is our fourth TT and we've only had one minor tire issue in all our years of camping!

The dealer couldn't or wouldn't even tell me this morning what kind of tires were on the TT. (They are Westlake -- I had the wrecker company check this for me). He said that he would have the rep contact me but I haven't heard anything. I have left a message on the Forest River contact us page.

We are very sad and hope this won't be the end of our camping days but it will depend on the insurance!
boxfordhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

i can't believe FR is putting this kinda crap on there units, i would think liability would make them a little wiser.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfordhp View Post
We purchased our 2015 Windjammer in January. We have camped a total of 11 nights and driven around 250 miles. Saturday a tire blew on the TT, causing it to fishtail. The truck turned over completely and the trailer turned on it's side. I was trapped in the wreckage. Fortunately, neither my husband, our dog nor myself have any serious injuries (only cuts and bruises). We are blessed beyond measure to be alive. However, we can't imagine that tire blowing. This is our fourth TT and we've only had one minor tire issue in all our years of camping!

The dealer couldn't or wouldn't even tell me this morning what kind of tires were on the TT. (They are Westlake -- I had the wrecker company check this for me). He said that he would have the rep contact me but I haven't heard anything. I have left a message on the Forest River contact us page.

We are very sad and hope this won't be the end of our camping days but it will depend on the insurance!
Just wondering...how fast you were going, and if you checked tire pressure?
Happy nobody was seriously injured!
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #4

Way less than speed limit and yes, tire pressure had been checked.
boxfordhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Hi boxfordhp glad to hear you were not seriously injured.

Hope every thing works out with the insurance Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #6

First I am glad that no one was seriously injured. As bad as it is that would have made it worse. I hope that Forest River and or the tire distributor of the China made tires will step up and cover damages. If it were me that is what I would be pushing for. Maybe an attorney would be an option if your dealings do not go well with Forest River. Unfortunately if you take that path then it is likely to drag out for an extended period of time.

A lot of people on this forum have been warning users about the cheap tires that they are putting in these trailers. Some of us have been able to get by with them but I will never accept delivery on another trailer until it has tires on it that I trust......

I am so sorry with what has happened to you and what you are most likely about to have to deal with......

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

File with your insurance company, they will persue the matter with FR and/or westlake
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

I would gladly pay more for a trailer with decent tires. Instead they put junk tires on these trailers that are only good from the plant to the dealer. Shameful.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I am glad everyone is alright, that is most important! Remember folks there could have been road hazard that caused the blowout, not the problem of Forest River or the OP skills to maintain his trailer.
We have to careful jumping to conclusions. dannybear has the right tact, let your insurance company handle this, you certainly can provide them will all the information including NHTSA recall on different tires on RV and loading near limit.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #10

So glad none of you were seriously injured. Our 360 IBL has Westlake tires. A sidewall gave out on one tire just before the delivery driver got it to our storage area. Many reasons why this could have happened--was it properly inflated for drive from plant to Texas dealer? It was in dealer off site storage lot for a few months. Delivered to our storage area. Was it ever properly inflated? Did driver hit a curb? So many possible causes but we are not taking any more chances and will be getting new tires before we hit the road.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #11

Of course dannyabear and B and B are correct. There are so many things that can cause a tire to crap out and none of us know for sure what caused it. My first impulse would be to punish someone, anyone for what happened. Logical thinking has to prevail. However, when tires from a particular manufacturer fail at a higher rate than others it would make logical sense for an RV manufacturer to either switch to a more reliable brand or at least offer an option.......

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

I have had several blowouts at highway speeds on previous trailers with dual axles. I have never had an issue with control since the other axle's tire on the same side was still good. I am curious what caused you to lose control.

I did change out the tires on my current trailer to Goodyear G-614s. I was not concerned about losing control but about possible damage to the trailer caused by the tread separating and the pain it is to change tires on the side of the road.

Glad to hear that everyone is OK.
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #13

I have not read any bad reports on Westlake tires. Actually never heard of them before.
As others are jumping saying they are dangerous junk, do you have any furhter info?

I also wonder what caused the loss of control as I think the OP said they were not driving fast?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #14

Just had my 5th in for routine service,the tech showed the backside of my tires were coming apart.They are only two years old with 1500 miles on them.
I put on Hercules Power STR E load range.Hope they last.
rshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfordhp View Post

Happy that you were OK. We had a tire go flat on our Windjammer ... on what I consider the heavier side (2 slides). We were able to inspect the tire and it had separated. On further inspection, so was the tire ahead of it. They were the factory installed Trail Express. These "c" load tires have been replaced with "e" load.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #16

I am not wanting to start an argument or even a debate, but I am very curious as to the losing control and turning over. Some specs on your tow rig and the weight of the trailer would be interesting to know.

I have pulled many trailers; 38' goose necks loaded down, 18' utility trailers, cattle trailers and over the years I have had my share of blow outs and never once did I lose control of any of them while a tire shredded. I know travel trailers are top heavy, but if the proper tow equipment(sway control, wdh, trailer brakes working properly) is in place I don't believe that it should cause it to lose control.

Like I said, I don't want to cause controversy, but my curiosity is getting me. I know there is a ton of factors that can play into such a horrible event happening such as; wind, weather, condition of the road, angle of the road, speed.. etc... etc...

Either way, I hope that no matter what this gets settled in y'alls favor and that y'all get to go camping again. Also, I'm glad everyone was ok!!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am glad everyone is alright, that is most important! Remember folks there could have been road hazard that caused the blowout, not the problem of Forest River or the OP skills to maintain his trailer.
Exactly! as someone who spent a lot of years in the tire business, i would bet money on some type of road hazard, on newer tires like these.
saw it all the time. rarely would a newer tire just blow. almost always was some type of road hazard.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #18

weather its Westlake or Goodyear or BF Goodrich. almost all of them these days if they are Trailer tires are made in china. Many Many ways that this tire could have blown out road hazard defect in tire unbalanced tire who really knows.
I am glad to here that everyone was alright. The first thing any tt owner should do is take there trailer to a tire dealership and have the tires balanced. They are not balanced at the factory and this will cause tire failure in many cases.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
weather its Westlake or Goodyear or BF Goodrich. almost all of them these days if they are Trailer tires are made in china. Many Many ways that this tire could have blown out road hazard defect in tire unbalanced tire who really knows.
I am glad to here that everyone was alright. The first thing any tt owner should do is take there trailer to a tire dealership and have the tires balanced. They are not balanced at the factory and this will cause tire failure in many cases.
Is this true? An automobile manufacturer would never sell unbalanced tires on a new vehicle. How can an RV manufacturere get away with this?
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Is this true? An automobile manufacturer would never sell unbalanced tires on a new vehicle. How can an RV manufacturere get away with this?
can't compare the auto industry to the the rv industry apples and oranges.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windjammer