Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 02:50 PM   #21

Thanks Sarah,
Year after all the comments, we are nixxing the dry ice idea. Testing our batteries for next few days at home.
Kathy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy22 View Post
Thanks Sarah,
Year after all the comments, we are nixxing the dry ice idea. Testing our batteries for next few days at home.
Testing is a great idea. Unfortunately, you're probably going to find out that operating a residential fridge on batteries will deplete the batteries overnight.
Several days in advance we freeze gallon bottles of water and cram as many as possible in the fridge. For the freezer, bags of ice from the local store will also keep longer than ice cubes from home. Now our fridge is propane/electric, but we've learned that if our house battery goes dead, the fridge won't work.
When camping without electricity, we plan our meals as if we were tent camping. Keep as little fridge/freezer food as possible. Keep essentials inside that rig in a 7 day cooler when you are boondocking. Buy Horizon boxed milk that doesn't require refrigeration.
In other words, prepare as if that refrigerator won't work for the days you're without electricity.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:24 PM   #23

Most people don't stick their heads in the ice chest to breathe.

Normally, they open it, grab what they want and close it.
GrumpyOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldGoat View Post
Most people don't stick their heads in the ice chest to breathe.

Normally, they open it, grab what they want and close it.
And every time it's opened any trapped co2 flows out to layer on the floor. Maybe people don't lay on the floor but a lot of pets do.

People may say "I've never had a problem" but in this case it only takes one.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #25

Interesting, are your slides going to overtax your batteries before you even start?
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:39 AM   #26

Home Depot sells a Kill-A-Watt Electricity Monitor that will tell you exactly how many amps you're using.. I'd grab one for $28 and test in your driveway. If you don't have a battery monitor with a shunt, then make sure you have volt meter so you can check the charge on your batteries.

Since you don't do this all the time, a large ice chest will work as a backup. I freeze large buckets of water (about 3 gallons). We've made ice last 3 days in 100 degree weather with block ice and shade, and not opening the ice chest to gaze.

It turns out that the urge to breathe is caused by high CO2 concentration in your body, not lack of oxygen. Underwater swimmers used to hyperventilate to purge the CO2 from their blood before going under. They would pass out without ever feeling that desperate need to breathe. So if you feel like you're drowing, open the door and take a breath. My ice chest seals as tight as my fridge, and we use dry ice to keep our food cold on the 24 hour trip to our houseboat each summer. I haven't seen the lid pop open once. But 24 hours is about how long it lasts.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy22 View Post
We have camped a lot, but this will be our first attempt at camping with no-shore power, and generators aren't allowed at the campsite we have booked. We have a 200 watt suitcase solar panel, but need to make sure our fridge and freezer stay cold for 3 days. We also have a 1000 watt inverter and 2 6 Volt golf cart batteries.

Any experienced boondocker advice on using dry ice or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy
2020 Rockwood 2612WS with residential fridge
A campsite without any power and no generator use allowed at all? You are sure that they don't allow generators during certain hours, right?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #28

Like someone else suggested, freeze a bunch of water bottles before you leave and place them in the freezer and fridge for your trip. As they thaw they become drinking water, but they will help keep everything cool for a long time.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Like someone else suggested, freeze a bunch of water bottles before you leave and place them in the freezer and fridge for your trip. As they thaw they become drinking water, but they will help keep everything cool for a long time.
X2 ...my fridge died prior to last camping trip. Had to go back to coolers. I froze a case of 16 oz bottles. With one of the current Igloo bmx coolers it got us through 4 days
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And every time it's opened any trapped co2 flows out to layer on the floor. Maybe people don't lay on the floor but a lot of pets do.

People may say "I've never had a problem" but in this case it only takes one.

Whenever someone says that they “have never had a problem” or “have been doing it for years” I am reminded that If you only go by personal testimony, nobody has ever died playing Russian Roulette…
Don’t believe me? Everyone who has died playing Russian Roulette please raise your hand…
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #31

A couple of years ago we went to Dinosaur National Monument in June, and our campsite had no shade, no power, and no generators allowed. We had paid for 3 days, and only stayed one. Our ROO, with open bunk ends wasn't too bad once the sun went down. A typical trailer would have been really miserable. I hope you're going somewhere cooler.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:49 AM   #32

I’m weirdly qualified to answer this as I own a dry ice manufacturing plant that has been the family biz for 37 years. Here are a few things to consider with dry ice when deciding whether to use it:

1. Dry ice blocks are -109 degrees F. You must be very careful not to handle it with bare hands.
2. Never put dry ice in an air tight container. Dry ice (solid co2) sublimates from a solid to a gas at atmospheric pressure. CO2 builds pressure as it changes states causing a pressure increase in the container if the pressure can’t escape. Once the pressure becomes too much for your container to handle, it can burst. If in a cooler always allow gas to vent to keep pressure inside at 0 psi.
3. With the venting you must have the cooler in a place that is also vented to the outside. A confined space can build up dangerous levels of co2 which is heavier than air and will settle on the floor of a room .

Those are the main safety points. Oh and never put it in a drink no matter how cool it looks! We always get that question around Halloween.
TimK2509S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #33

You should not use dry ice indoors, includinginacooler in a car. Especially with poor ventilation. Dry ice is CO˛. It displaces oxygen.
It may or may not kill you, it can put out pilot lights.
It can cause breathing issues.
It's not CO, but can be as bad if concentrated.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
MF5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #34
LUM

Your SOL with residential fridge
LUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #35

Do not use dry ice in an enclosed and unventilated space. It sublimes (similar to evaporation) to carbon dioxide and can kill you.
JJOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
A campsite without any power and no generator use allowed at all? You are sure that they don't allow generators during certain hours, right?
My thoughts exactly. Have never seen a campground like this, but doesn't mean they don't exist.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Home Depot sells a Kill-A-Watt Electricity Monitor that will tell you exactly how many amps you're using.. I'd grab one for $28 and test in your driveway. If you don't have a battery monitor with a shunt, then make sure you have volt meter so you can check the charge on your batteries.

Since you don't do this all the time, a large ice chest will work as a backup. I freeze large buckets of water (about 3 gallons). We've made ice last 3 days in 100 degree weather with block ice and shade, and not opening the ice chest to gaze.

It turns out that the urge to breathe is caused by high CO2 concentration in your body, not lack of oxygen. Underwater swimmers used to hyperventilate to purge the CO2 from their blood before going under. They would pass out without ever feeling that desperate need to breathe. So if you feel like you're drowing, open the door and take a breath. My ice chest seals as tight as my fridge, and we use dry ice to keep our food cold on the 24 hour trip to our houseboat each summer. I haven't seen the lid pop open once. But 24 hours is about how long it lasts.
We do have a battery monitor. Nixed the dry ice plan. And we did find another campground with generator use, so we are good. Been testing with solar in day and 2 to 4 hours generator at noght and its been holding at 92% charge.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK2509S View Post
I’m weirdly qualified to answer this as I own a dry ice manufacturing plant that has been the family biz for 37 years. Here are a few things to consider with dry ice when deciding whether to use it:

1. Dry ice blocks are -109 degrees F. You must be very careful not to handle it with bare hands.

2. Never put dry ice in an air tight container. Dry ice (solid co2) sublimates from a solid to a gas at atmospheric pressure. CO2 builds pressure as it changes states causing a pressure increase in the container if the pressure can’t escape. Once the pressure becomes too much for your container to handle, it can burst. If in a cooler always allow gas to vent to keep pressure inside at 0 psi.

3. With the venting you must have the cooler in a place that is also vented to the outside. A confined space can build up dangerous levels of co2 which is heavier than air and will settle on the floor of a room .

Those are the main safety points. Oh and never put it in a drink no matter how cool it looks! We always get that question around Halloween.
We nixed the dry ice. Found a place that will take generators!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My thoughts exactly. Have never seen a campground like this, but doesn't mean they don't exist.......
Colter Bay. Loop C which was where we had reserved. No power, no generators. Wr found an alternative that allows generators!
Old 07-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintexas View Post
Interesting, are your slides going to overtax your batteries before you even start?
Yeah, my husband is checking that too. [emoji846] So far generator and solar are managing. Losinh about 3% battery per day with 4 hour generator. We only gotta go 3 days without power and then are at a full power site!

Tags
fridge