Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Electric Jack for Rockwood 2604

Does anyone know the brand name for the "electric Jack" that is installed on the Rockwood 2604 trailer? The Jack I am referring to has two switches, one switch is for the light, and the other switch is to be used when you "retract" or "extend" the Jack.

Also does anyone where to buy a "cover" for this jack?

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

It sounds like you are talking about the power jack on the front of the camper, is this correct?, if so I cover mine but I don't think you have to. As far as a brand, dealers put different manufactures on. At this point in time I do not know what brand I have, but the top is white, my camper is at the dealers and I am waiting to hear what the problem is with the slide out, if it wasn't for that I would go out side and check.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Mine says LPI... Lippert Componets Inc. Manufactured by Venture
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #4

Is this It?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

Most are Lippert. Do yourself a favor - have your dealer put a different jack on there. The Ultra Fab isn't much better - It's noisey and in my experience has a lot of design flaws such as no warning when it gets to the top/bottom of the stroke (it just blows the fuse). I like the new Husky Brute personally, or the Barker. The Lippert jack has some parts on it that are NOT AVAILABLE to replace. On the shroud, for example. The top is available, but the bottom part is NOT AVAILABLE, EVEN TO DEALERS!!! The service support on the LCI jacks from the factory, however, is pretty good.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
The one on the left is the new style, with the bottom part of the shroud not available. I haven't heard of too much trouble with the one on the right, other than a bad motor or two.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #7

That is the one, I haven't used mine enough to know if it is a good jack or not, but sure would have liked to have known about all the problems with the jack as well as the Concertone Stereo DVD system before I bought the trailer. Somehow my RV dealer forgot to mention these problems and customer complaints. Oh well, as unlucky as I am "If I had a duck, it would drown".....

Thanks for your help, the advise in this forum is sure helpful.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Had the lippert power jack on our 2605 Rockwood...worked great other than blowing a fuse once. Regardless of the manufacturuer, you need to measure/mark the jack so you know that you're approaching it's extended or retracted limit otherwise you'll blow the 30A fuse (mounted internally on this unit), break the shear pin or damage the gears.

The unit is waterproof and shouldn't need covering. If you feel the need, a plastic bag and cable tie does the trick (hey, were campers!).

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #9

I have run the Lippert on my 2604 to full extension with no damage. It was a heart stopping moment when it started a loud clicking when it reached full extension. I may have been lucky with no damage or blown fuse. I now have the shaft marked and am more careful.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #10

Our brand new 8315BSS which we just brought home yesterday, has a Lippert tongue jack and I almost immediately discovered that at full retraction it has an auto-stop feature. Never the less, I am going to mark the tube with a black marker so that I know when I am nearing full retract.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #11

Marking the "jack tube" with a black marker is a good idea, you can't be to safe really. If the fuse in mounted "internally" How do you go about replacing it once it is blown?

I forgot that we are campers, as some of these trailers are nicer than most motels....

Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

From what I can recall, you can remove the top cover of the jack (4 screws?) and the 30A fuse is right there inside. Have a look.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #13

Thanks, I will inspect the jack the next time I have it out. I better stock up on fuses, I guess!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Arn
Arn

My fuse is on the A-frame 2 or 3 feet back from the jack. Follow the red power cable back from the jack & you'll find the fuse holder. I only had to replace mine 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 times. I'm going to the dealer for some warranty work so we'll be discussing an upgrade on the jack. Failing that, guess who'll be giving me a handful of 30a fuses?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #15

Well I will be awfully careful with the Jack, as I now get into ownership of the 2604 I see where there is a lot of things the RV dealer failed to disclose to me, i.e. Jack blowing fuses, Concertone a piece of crap, no main light switch, no lights in the storage compartments and on and on and on.....oh well, like they say "and this too shall pass"....right?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
Well I will be awfully careful with the Jack, as I now get into ownership of the 2604 I see where there is a lot of things the RV dealer failed to disclose to me, i.e. Jack blowing fuses, Concertone a piece of crap, no main light switch, no lights in the storage compartments and on and on and on.....oh well, like they say "and this too shall pass"....right?
I don't think the dealer "failed to disclose" as much as you might think. Nobody was hiding the fact that there are no lights in the storage compartments or a main light switch (both easy mods). Much of this is RV Shopping 101. The concertone issue, however, isn't a big secret, but maybe they should have mentioned they had some issues, if you had asked. All in all, the Rockwood is a pretty good bang for your buck.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #17

I'd be interested in an easy mod for a main light switch to turn on the lights in my new surveyor.... I had a jayco that had the main light switch, now I miss the main light switch in my new trailer. Any help is greatly appreciated.
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #18

Why not a motion activated light in the storage area. I have two of them, one on each side so no matter which side I open the light will come on, and the lights that I have has three modes...on...off...auto...and they are LED. Just a thought.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowait View Post
I'd be interested in an easy mod for a main light switch to turn on the lights in my new surveyor.... I had a jayco that had the main light switch, now I miss the main light switch in my new trailer. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Are you talking about a switch that controls all the lights in the ceiling, or a cutoff switch for the battery (that's what I was referring to).
Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #20

Lights in the ceiling with a main light switch to turn them on. My kids need to grow quite a bit to reach the lights in the ceiling so thats why your post caught my eye.
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, rockwood