Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

Electric tongue jack

Pulled in to campsite to set up went to set up the TT and heard a grinding noise, jack won't do anything but make a lot of noise. Went to use the hand override and it won't budge, checked fuses all ok. Any opinions as what might be wrong, only two years old ?
grandpalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

Time for a disassembly and repair. Or just buy new jack and avoid all the dirt and grease. These are best kept protected from the weather. Bucket works fine or even a plastic bag.

Good luck.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpalee View Post
Pulled in to campsite to set up went to set up the TT and heard a grinding noise, jack won't do anything but make a lot of noise. Went to use the hand override and it won't budge, checked fuses all ok. Any opinions as what might be wrong, only two years old ?
Had the same thing happen on a 2 year old Ultra Fab jack. Despite having a hood on it at all times plus a cover on the TT over the winter, it was locked solid when we went to go for the first trip out after the winter. I couldn't even budge with a breaker bar. Took it completely apart and couldn't find anything wrong.

I replaced it with an identical jack only because it we had a spare off a previous TT. After another couple of years on that one, it now works intermittently in fits and starts. I'd never buy another UF tongue jack.

I would go buy a nice ball screw jack like Husky or Barker.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4

I just replaced my original jack after less than a year. The housing cracked on both sides, the motor would start to turn then stop whether trying to raise or lower. Before anyone asks, it didn't get ice in it over the winter. I replaced it with a Husky 4500 lb. jack.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Jayhawker

Sorry to hear your having issues. On our previous trailer we replaced the hand crank jack with a Barker VIP electric tongue jack. Or present trailer has the LCI (Lippert) power jack that came with the trailer. We had the Barker jack for 6 trouble free years and it raises and lowers much faster than the LCI. I know how "Speed" is not an issue usually. But when it is raining and your standing there waiting for the jack to extend or retract speed matters.
Attached Images

Tags
electric