Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #21

the chance of anything 'burning' from up under your flooring is not possible, the flooring is not just 'hanging' in the air, with the chassis underneath... there is PLYWOOD floors below your flooring, and no 'wires' would be anywhere near, or touching, your 'flooring'...
and there is also a layer of insulation, and a outer moisture barrier, as well.

either you had something sitting at this area of the floor that caused these 'stains', or something fell on this area of the floor, causing these 'colored' indentions ... maybe even something with a 'hot' bottom. The idea of a 'mirrored' reflection of the sun's rays is also a possibility... you'll probably never know.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #22

June 4, 2019
Well, the camper with the burn marks is at Camping World in Conway, NH and they are looking at everything. So far, no idea what has happened. They have a call in to Forest River to see what they think. They are thinking it came from above (burned the surface of the linoleum.) They asked if fire pit embers could have been the cause but we stay at an RV resort that does not allow campfires (thank goodness! I hate smoke!) Camping World is doing a great job at keeping us in the loop so I'll report what they find. My worry is they will find nothing and then what do we do? I'm afraid of a fire starting either when we are in the camper or when it's parked near our house or woods. We live way out in the woods in New Hampshire with no fire department. When we use the camper in Texas we are in an RV resort with very near neighbors in very expensive RV's. Yikes!

Missing my dad right about now -- he was an electrical engineer who could diagnose and fix anything.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Traveler View Post
June 4, 2019
Well, the camper with the burn marks is at Camping World in Conway, NH and they are looking at everything. So far, no idea what has happened. They have a call in to Forest River to see what they think. They are thinking it came from above (burned the surface of the linoleum.) They asked if fire pit embers could have been the cause but we stay at an RV resort that does not allow campfires (thank goodness! I hate smoke!) Camping World is doing a great job at keeping us in the loop so I'll report what they find. My worry is they will find nothing and then what do we do? I'm afraid of a fire starting either when we are in the camper or when it's parked near our house or woods. We live way out in the woods in New Hampshire with no fire department. When we use the camper in Texas we are in an RV resort with very near neighbors in very expensive RV's. Yikes!

Missing my dad right about now -- he was an electrical engineer who could diagnose and fix anything.
Let us know when you find out. I've been following this from the beginning.
Greg in Michigan
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #24

Something sat there that was hot. Not electrical, it's on the surface of the flooring, didn't come from underneath. There is no electrical running along the floors. If it was from below, there would be a larger discoloration around the area with a more concentrated burn in the center.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #25

This may be a stretch but, here's another possibility. The floor was damaged during the TT build. It was then "repaired" by concealing the marks with some sort of touch-up paint, dye, lipstick, whatever they could find. The cover-up then wore off or was wiped off during cleaning revealing the damage. Did you have a rug over it? The rug could have wiped off the repair.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #26

I tend to agree with some others . this has nothing to do with the unit . burns were from something else and not electrical .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #27

As a firefighter , I can assure you that it most likely did not come from below , for burn mark to show on top it would have had to burn almost all the way through the floor to get it hot enough to cause the discoloration you are talking about , and the spots would be much larger then the ones you are describing , Like the rest said here to me it sounds like something from above , now with that said you did state you did smell something you thought was a burning smell , that I can not explain , other then possibly a heightened sense of smell because you think something was wrong , maybe something was burning in the area and factor the heighted smell and that I could see how you could think it was coming from your coach ,

No matter how you look at it , this is very interesting , I hope they find answers for you so it can put your mind to rest and you can be ok and comfortable in your coach and I hope you share them with the group here as I think we are all interested to find out.
JerryE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #28

Is there a window that the sun shines directly on? It’s possible there were some water droplets that the sun shined on acting like a magnifying glass. Just a thought
Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 AM   #29

Still waiting on a diagnosis???

Would love to know what the end cause was.
GeoPro Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryE View Post
As a firefighter , I can assure you that it most likely did not come from below , for burn mark to show on top it would have had to burn almost all the way through the floor to get it hot enough to cause the discoloration you are talking about , and the spots would be much larger then the ones you are describing , Like the rest said here to me it sounds like something from above , now with that said you did state you did smell something you thought was a burning smell , that I can not explain , other then possibly a heightened sense of smell because you think something was wrong , maybe something was burning in the area and factor the heighted smell and that I could see how you could think it was coming from your coach ,

No matter how you look at it , this is very interesting , I hope they find answers for you so it can put your mind to rest and you can be ok and comfortable in your coach and I hope you share them with the group here as I think we are all interested to find out.
Like I said, something was HOT and sat there. Angle of the two burns are the same, spacing is too exact, whatever it was. has raised feet on the bottom. Sjpace heater...Dutch Oven that hot on one side...those feet are about that size....at least i've seen something similar on a Dutch Oven.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #31

I think Scrapper wins the prize for the correct answer, but I guess we'll never know. Camping World returned our camper last weekend, having dropped the underneath covering and looked for burned areas and traced wires and found nothing. We couldn't talk them into pulling up that area of the linoleum to inspect the plywood under the burn marks, as they did not want to be responsible for replacing all the linoleum. Forest River says there are no wires under the floor. So we brought it home and my husband said to heck with them and took a linoleum knife and picked up the scabby burned marks to see what was underneath. Took two minutes and we found that the plywood underneath was pristine and the back side of the linoleum scab was white and flawless. The only thing that was burned was the top layer of linoleum. We'll figure out a way to patch the small area we scraped up.

We opened up the thermostat again and looked at the wiring behind it. There's a pile of wiring with lots of sawdust and debris from cutting and screwing into the plywood. My husband says he thinks if the man who did the wiring stripped and cut wires to fit he could have dropped pieces of metal into the thermostat and, if sometime later, bouncing down the road (thank you Pennsylvania!) the wire pieces moved around and caused an arcing and dropped sparks down through the thermostat vent and onto the floor, there you'd have it. We are hoping it was a one-time issue. We can't trade the camper in and drop the problem on some unsuspecting family with little kids, so we will buy another smoke detector (one of those that announces FIRE -FIRE-FIRE) and hope for the best. And no straw entrance mat! I was really glad to see my camper back -- I had forgotten how much I love it. It is the perfect size for two Winter Texan birdwatchers to get into tighter spots and onto small ferries, but big enough for comfort in RV resorts.

The problem happened while we were on the road, when we were not plugged into shore power, but my husband says even with the furnace/AC off on the road there would still be power in the thermostat (DC ?) that could have arced. So, I guess that's it.We leave New Hampshire for Texas in mid October -- will keep y'all posted as we follow the migrating birds. Keeping our fire extinguishers handy!

Priscilla
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Traveler View Post
I think Scrapper wins the prize for the correct answer, but I guess we'll never know. Camping World returned our camper last weekend, having dropped the underneath covering and looked for burned areas and traced wires and found nothing. We couldn't talk them into pulling up that area of the linoleum to inspect the plywood under the burn marks, as they did not want to be responsible for replacing all the linoleum. Forest River says there are no wires under the floor. So we brought it home and my husband said to heck with them and took a linoleum knife and picked up the scabby burned marks to see what was underneath. Took two minutes and we found that the plywood underneath was pristine and the back side of the linoleum scab was white and flawless. The only thing that was burned was the top layer of linoleum. We'll figure out a way to patch the small area we scraped up.

We opened up the thermostat again and looked at the wiring behind it. There's a pile of wiring with lots of sawdust and debris from cutting and screwing into the plywood. My husband says he thinks if the man who did the wiring stripped and cut wires to fit he could have dropped pieces of metal into the thermostat and, if sometime later, bouncing down the road (thank you Pennsylvania!) the wire pieces moved around and caused an arcing and dropped sparks down through the thermostat vent and onto the floor, there you'd have it. We are hoping it was a one-time issue. We can't trade the camper in and drop the problem on some unsuspecting family with little kids, so we will buy another smoke detector (one of those that announces FIRE -FIRE-FIRE) and hope for the best. And no straw entrance mat! I was really glad to see my camper back -- I had forgotten how much I love it. It is the perfect size for two Winter Texan birdwatchers to get into tighter spots and onto small ferries, but big enough for comfort in RV resorts.

The problem happened while we were on the road, when we were not plugged into shore power, but my husband says even with the furnace/AC off on the road there would still be power in the thermostat (DC ?) that could have arced. So, I guess that's it.We leave New Hampshire for Texas in mid October -- will keep y'all posted as we follow the migrating birds. Keeping our fire extinguishers handy!

Priscilla

I understand you wanting to find the why you have burn marks . what you posted above highlighted in red . is not what happened . your grasping at straws to find out why there are 2 burn marks . someone dropped something hot on the floor . not from T-stat or even from metal shavings left behind in the T-stat . the burns marks are from an outside source
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
I understand you wanting to find the why you have burn marks . what you posted above highlighted in red . is not what happened . your grasping at straws to find out why there are 2 burn marks . someone dropped something hot on the floor . not from T-stat or even from metal shavings left behind in the T-stat . the burns marks are from an outside source
I'm going to agree with this. Those burn marks are far too large to have been caused by a few errant hot strands of wiring, especially thin, low-voltage wiring. If that were truly the case, we'd see burned up RV's all over the country considering the amount of wood shavings remaining within the walls.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #34

Likely someone dropped a cigarette cherry on the floor prior to your purchase.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #35

As I said from the beginning. Something HOT sat there on the floor.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #36

Have you bought a spare extinguisher or two?

Could it be at all possible that the burn marks went unnoticed since you picked up the camper, and the smell you found made you start looking and you noticed the marks?

Having been around burnt electronics and such for many years, anything that has been around burning insulation/wires will leave a lingering smell anywhere around the burning area (t-stat or panel). You said you cannot sniff any burn smell anywhere now, leading me to believe those marks are from some external, long-gone source.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #37

110% unlikely to be an electrical cause and can't be related to the low voltage t'stat and control panel above.

The pics are rather fuzzy, but it's curious why both marks are approx. the same dimension, at the same 45-ish degree angle, same distance from the wall and have the same look to them. Doesn't look like spatter marks from something liquid falling onto the floor and no marks close by on the wall. If from something hot, I think you'd see a depression in the vinyl material.

It's interesting how the 2 marks are approx. evenly spaced either side of the fire extinguisher. Something carried inside on the soles of someone's shoes?

Stains & discoloration can apparently bleed up through vinyl flooring due to various causes as mentioned here: https://floorcentral.com/resilient-f...looring-stain/

I like a good mystery and would be interested in knowing what caused the marks. It would be interesting to go see a fire inspector or flooring shop with the removed pieces.

As for patching the floor, you could look under the shower or tub base, inside dinette seating, under cabinets, etc. and cut out a patch piece in a spot where nobody will ever notice. Then use seam sealer to glue the patch in place. Don't glue it to the subfloor. If you carefully lay an over-sized patch piece on the floor, you can use a utility knife with fresh blade to make some clean cuts through both layers, then use the seam sealer. You could always get a prof. floor layer to do it. A dealer can do it too. Done right, you'll never notice the patch.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #38
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
This may be a stretch but, here's another possibility. The floor was damaged during the TT build. It was then "repaired" by concealing the marks with some sort of touch-up paint, dye, lipstick, whatever they could find. The cover-up then wore off or was wiped off during cleaning revealing the damage. Did you have a rug over it? The rug could have wiped off the repair.

Wow, very clever - and I think plausible! We had a small repair made to our bathroom sink and never noticed it - until cleaning after our maiden voyage uncovered it. Could have been someone balancing a lit cigarette on a counter during construction that threw ash or dropped. Unfortunately would be impossible to prove though.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote