Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Eternabond tape

Hi guys, after I cleaned the surface very well where I wanted to use the Eternabond tape in some areas it's not adhering 100%. After few days it's coming loose on corners and not flat surfaces, I also used denatured alcohol to clean those areas.... I'm a little disappointed.
Thank you for your input.
danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmer View Post
Hi guys, after I cleaned the surface very well where I wanted to use the Eternabond tape in some areas it's not adhering 100%. After few days it's coming loose on corners and not flat surfaces, I also used denatured alcohol to clean those areas.... I'm a little disappointed.
Thank you for your input.
Very satisfied with using the the cleaner and primer that came with my Eternabond project. Sorry for your application loss, but finishing up your edges with dicor self leveling calk. I'm planning on doing this, once I'm done with all my Eternabond applications. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200229_164752.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	227845Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_153926.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	227846Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_160023.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	227847Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_152537.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	227848Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_160213.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	227849Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_183813.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	227850
Old 04-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #3

Good luck! This came with my Eternabond order from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_203455.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	227851  
Old 04-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #4

Sorry for your problems...

Was the Eternabond tape NOT sticky? Did you pull the clear tape backing off the bottom side of the tape?

What did you use to clean the surface with?

I use a little mineral spirits on a terry cloth. Mineral spirits seams to melt the dirt and crud off the existing caulk and roof surface with just a little rubbing. Then I quickly followed up with 91% IPA ( isopropyl alcohol) from any drug counter on another cloth and removed all traces of the solvent used to clean.

If you have ever installed any kind of sticky tape to any surface, it often comes with small IPA soaked towelettes you peal open to clean and prep any surface. This alcohol dries quickly. once the surface is completely dry, apply the tape in small sections ( like a foot at a time), push it down firmly and roll with a wallpaper seam roller until all of the tape is flat.

On a good clean surface once Eternabond even hits a surface, it sticks like crazy and is nearly impossible to peal up even without pushing on it. If your tape is not sticking then:
A- you either got some bad tape,
B-did bad prep work, or taped to a damp or wet surface,
C-applied the tape in too cool of weather or,
D-did not pull off the clear plastic backing that protects the sticky side of the tape ( there is a colored opaque film on the top and a clear film on the bottom)

I personally have never had a problem with Eternabond peeling up NOT sticking to a cleaned surface once it is applied and pushed down correctly.

Think about your application steps and relate back which of these might have been deficient with the 4 steps I outline above.

The attached picture shows the result of cleaning with mineral spirits the existing Dicor caulk on my roof. Notice the difference... dirty then clean white...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	227853  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Sorry for your problems...

Was the Eternabond tape NOT sticky? Did you pull the clear tape backing off the bottom side of the tape?

What did you use to clean the surface with?

I use a little mineral spirits on a terry cloth. Mineral spirits seams to melt the dirt and crud off the existing caulk and roof surface with just a little rubbing. Then I quickly followed up with 91% IPA ( isopropyl alcohol) from any drug counter on another cloth and removed all traces of the solvent used to clean.

If you have ever installed any kind of sticky tape to any surface, it often comes with small IPA soaked towelettes you peal open to clean and prep any surface. This alcohol dries quickly. once the surface is completely dry, apply the tape in small sections ( like a foot at a time), push it down firmly and roll with a wallpaper seam roller until all of the tape is flat.

On a good clean surface once Eternabond even hits a surface, it sticks like crazy and is nearly impossible to peal up even without pushing on it. If your tape is not sticking then:
A- you either got some bad tape,
B-did bad prep work, or taped to a damp or wet surface,
C-applied the tape in too cool of weather or,
D-did not pull off the clear plastic backing that protects the sticky side of the tape ( there is a colored opaque film on the top and a clear film on the bottom)

I personally have never had a problem with Eternabond peeling up NOT sticking to a cleaned surface once it is applied and pushed down correctly.

Think about your application steps and relate back which of these might have been deficient with the 4 steps I outline above.

The attached picture shows the result of cleaning with mineral spirits the existing Dicor caulk on my roof. Notice the difference... dirty then clean white...
Great post rsdata!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

As noted in post #3 some roof cleaners leave a residue on the roof that Eternabond will not stick to. Probably other types of cleaners also leave that residue.

Again I emphasize that Eternabond tape will stick instantly to your fingers, or any smooth clean dry surface. If yours did not act like that then something is wrong.

Tapex above shows his application of Eternabond and everything there looks perfect. He lapped over existing Dicor caulk onto the flat roof, and into the gutter on the side, sealing all possible openings.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
WFD

Getting ready to apply eternabond to the front and end caps, as well as around vents and other areas. Here is a side by side picture of how it looks after cleaning and prepping. Used acetone as per one of the acceptable cleaners from Eternabond themselves, then went over it with rubbing alcohol. It's a tan roof with tan dicor all around.
Attached Images

Tags
eternabond