Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #1

Extension cord through slide opening

We are camping in New Hampshire and it is cold at night. In order to save propane, I am using an electric space heater, but one is not enough. I have read several threads where people have run an extension cord through the slide opening before the slide was fully opened to power a second heater. Just where is the cord placed- at a bottom corner or some other place? I have not looked to see if it's obvious yet, I will do that tomorrow in the daylight, but thought someone here might have the answer.
Thanks in advance for your help.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I
We are camping in New Hampshire and it is cold at night. In order to save propane, I am using an electric space heater, but one is not enough. I have read several threads where people have run an extension cord through the slide opening before the slide was fully opened to power a second heater. Just where is the cord placed- at a bottom corner or some other place? I have not looked to see if it's obvious yet, I will do that tomorrow in the daylight, but thought someone here might have the answer.
Each slide out is different so yes you will have to look around it and see where's best. I run mine directly under it and comes out (in?) by the couch. I would avoid at all possible running it through the top of the slide though (too high a chance for water to infiltrate and deform the seal)
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

I run mine thru the front bottom corner then pull it up about a foot on the side gasket. use it for heat, toaster or fan in the summer. I use a three way adapter so I can use it for a couple of things at a time. Its an extra 20amps.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Why wouldn't you use a receptacle inside the camper.. Am I missing something here?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Why wouldn't you use a receptacle inside the camper.. Am I missing something here?
We run the extra 20 AMP cord in due to the 30 AMP service being pretty well maxed out with normal factory installed appliances such as refer - water heater etc.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
K, if you want to look into a more "permanent" way to add this extra power inside your camper read this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16938.html
Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for your responses. That is what is so great about this forum. Unfortunately, I cannot slide an extention cord between the slide and the gasket- not quite enough room. I think what I may do is to get another extension cord, cut off the female end, push it through between the slide and the gasket, then attach a repair female end on once it's in the camper. For the few times we need 2 heaters, this may be the solution.

Thanks again,
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your responses. That is what is so great about this forum. Unfortunately, I cannot slide an extention cord between the slide and the gasket- not quite enough room. I think what I may do is to get another extension cord, cut off the female end, push it through between the slide and the gasket, then attach a repair female end on once it's in the camper. For the few times we need 2 heaters, this may be the solution.

Thanks again,
You can always feed the cord through a window. Anyways it is recommended that to minimize condensation inside the camper, while running a heater or furnace, you leave a window or vent slightly open. Feed the cord, close the window tightly leaving an air gap and you should be good and comfy!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #9

Have you actually tripped a breaker trying to run the 2nd heater or are you just assuming it will happen?

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #10

I tripped the breaker running both heaters at 750 watts. (trying to spread heat over the camper). It's supposed to get into the 20's tonight, so I went to a local Lowes and found a 14 ga extension cord with a thin male end. I was able to push that through from the inside out, so I'm sitting here with one heater working at 1500 watts and one at 750 so I can run bed warmer, laptop charger, cell phone charger, etc. Who said roughing it had to be so hard?
Thanks again for all of your help.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #11

I discovered all my outlets run through the GFI in the bathroom when I fried it trying to run two heaters at the same time. I added a breaker and an outlet so I now have a dedicated outlet for my heater, and when it is really chilly I do the cord through the slide trick.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
I tripped the breaker running both heaters at 750 watts. (trying to spread heat over the camper). It's supposed to get into the 20's tonight, so I went to a local Lowes and found a 14 ga extension cord with a thin male end. I was able to push that through from the inside out, so I'm sitting here with one heater working at 1500 watts and one at 750 so I can run bed warmer, laptop charger, cell phone charger, etc. Who said roughing it had to be so hard?
Thanks again for all of your help.
Sounds to me like the saying GET HER DONE fits you well !!!

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #13

u may check the other outlets inside the camper. on mine, just the kitchen, bathroom, tv, (basicly most of the outlets on that side of the trailer) are on the gf. other outlets aren't. may try seeing if u have another outlet u could run a cord between heater and outlet inside the trailer. if u start tripping ur main or the campground main, u will have to run the extension to the outside source.
u should be able to run an extension cord thru the slide with it only partly extended then extend it (the slide) the remainder of the way.
some slides don't compress the seal the same amt all the way around. with the slide out, u may check for the amt of gap to see if there is a better place to locate the cord.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #14

Thanks for responding, Jim and all. I did try all outlets to see if by chance one was not on the same breaker. The only one on a different breaker is the one for the water heater in a front pass through storage compartment. That does me no good. I may add another breaker and outlet by the converter at some point, but for now, as you said, when the slide is part way out, I can get a cord through and I found a place where the gasket does not pinch it too tightly
2011 Rockwood 2604